Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Why the Dobro on R&J ?  (Read 16728 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Why the Dobro on R&J ?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
So do you believe that it is more about the condition of the instrument?

No. I don't believe it. I know it.

Why?

Because MK said that.

Did I mention MK said that at the BBC Piano Room radio programme?

Probably I didn´t. Did I?

:smack
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »
He plays quite a lot of songs standing with the Gibson les Paul which is very very heavy...

I think he told at the bbc piano room showcase that the national was deteriorated...

According to someone on Facebook it has very recently returned from restoration.  Didn't he have a replica made some years back or did I imagine that?

I think the replica is the one he plays in Bonaparte. He was playing the replica in other songs from various tours already, and the old National just for Romeo (and maybe for TR)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »
To answer dmg, They released a 'reissue' of it in 2006.

As for mark not 'noticing' it was hard to play, unless you've acutally played one you cant imagine the amount of left hand strength required to fret notes on that guitar, especially beyond the 5th fret.  Its also a pain to mic up as even with a decent pickup and pre amp fitted because of its nature its extremely prone to feedback and has a relatively low output....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 12:47:18 PM »

As for mark not 'noticing' it was hard to play, unless you've acutally played one you cant imagine the amount of left hand strength required to fret notes on that guitar, especially beyond the 5th fret.  Its also a pain to mic up as even with a decent pickup and pre amp fitted because of its nature its extremely prone to feedback and has a relatively low output....

And he only noticed it now, after years and years and years and years of playing that guitar...

Ok.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 12:50:01 PM »

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »

And he only noticed it now, after years and years and years and years of playing that guitar...

Ok.

I'm not saying that he's only just noticed. I'm stating a fact, its a hard instrument to play I have one sat right here in front of me! I've been playing and teaching for 30 plus years and half an hour on mine still leaves me with sore left fingers.

Mark was always known for his left hand strength, if (and it is an if) he is physically struggling then it makes sense that he might choose to play an instrument that's slightly easier on the fingers. Just my opinion......

hunter

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
The original National is retired, yes. He still uses the replica on Telegraph Road, right? A good tech can set up any guitar, including Nationals, to play like an electric if so desired. I don't think comfort has anything to with it. Unless the neck size (the Schecters, early Pensas) is very wrong.

As for jbaent's incredibly sarcastic and snarky comments (forgot your coffee today?), Mark's tastes have changed over the years. Suddenly he was gifted a Dobro-style guitar by Jerry Douglas, and then he very likely felt that guitar sounded nicer (more mellow) for Romeo. Hey, the man suddenly started using Kempers, for goodness sake.

Why don't we ask Guy?

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 01:25:36 PM »
The original National is retired, yes. He still uses the replica on Telegraph Road, right? A good tech can set up any guitar, including Nationals, to play like an electric if so desired. I don't think comfort has anything to with it. Unless the neck size (the Schecters, early Pensas) is very wrong.

As for jbaent's incredibly sarcastic and snarky comments (forgot your coffee today?), Mark's tastes have changed over the years. Suddenly he was gifted a Dobro-style guitar by Jerry Douglas, and then he very likely felt that guitar sounded nicer (more mellow) for Romeo. Hey, the man suddenly started using Kempers, for goodness sake.

Why don't we ask Guy?

With regards to setup of a national, if you know a tech that can set one up like a Strat please point me in their direction, lol. Its just the way of any vintage instrument, they have a minimal range of adjustment, no truss rod, few have adjustable bridges, often the only physical way to lower the action is to either file the nut or the bridge at the cone which isn't really advisable as once its done its done. Trust me, even the best tech in the world will only get so far with one of these. They weren't built for comfort....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »

Why don't we ask Guy?

Don't you believe MK himself?

Yes but its not a like for like swap is it. If he was using the O replica then you'd have an argument.

hunter

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 01:29:49 PM »

Why don't we ask Guy?

With regards to setup of a national, if you know a tech that can set one up like a Strat please point me in their direction, lol. Its just the way of any vintage instrument, they have a minimal range of adjustment, no truss rod, few have adjustable bridges, often the only physical way to lower the action is to either file the nut or the bridge at the cone which isn't really advisable as once its done its done. Trust me, even the best tech in the world will only get so far with one of these. They weren't built for comfort....

The vintage ones, yes. They are probably beyond redemption. New, modern replicas are probably a whole different story.

hunter

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 01:35:01 PM »

Why don't we ask Guy?

I know what Mark has said, and he refers to his old original National from the 1930s. He has a modern replica as well, a Beltona I believe, which he uses on this tour.

Please work on your reading comprehension.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2019, 01:35:09 PM »

Why don't we ask Guy?

Jerry Douglas gave MK that guitar in 2012 (or was it 2011?), when he recorded the Bap Kennedy cd with MK at British Grove.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:40:38 PM by jbaent »

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 01:36:13 PM »

Why don't we ask Guy?

The vintage ones, yes. They are probably beyond redemption. New, modern replicas are probably a whole different story.

I have both and its not a case of the instruments being beyond redemption. Its just the way they're built. Even on the replicas expect a relatively high action and the need to develop hands of stone!

hunter

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »

Why don't we ask Guy?

I have both and its not a case of the instruments being beyond redemption. Its just the way they're built. Even on the replicas expect a relatively high action and the need to develop hands of stone!

OK, playing like an electric is probably too much said, then. I had a replica too once, and it was like a regular acoustic, in my opinion. Slightly higher action, but nothing outrageous.

At any rate, he DOES play the replica on other songs, so why not on Romeo, I wonder.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 01:44:29 PM »

Why don't we ask Guy?

OK, playing like an electric is probably too much said, then. I had a replica too once, and it was like a regular acoustic, in my opinion. Slightly higher action, but nothing outrageous.

At any rate, he DOES play the replica on other songs, so why not on Romeo, I wonder.

What was your replica?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 47 queries.