Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #28 DTRW TOUR - June 11 2019 - Ericsson Globe, Stockholm, Sweden #SPOILER#  (Read 14403 times)

hunter

The same is always written in the Norwegian or Swedish reviews anyways. Just a pile of crap. Reviewers mostly without a clue when it comes to Mks solo-career «refusing» to accept that his musical path is different than it was 35-40 years ago, instead labelling it as boring. Bothers me that no one seems to understand My Bacon Roll in terms of lyrics but it might be too subtle for a simple journalist from a tabloid newspaper ??? Rant over with.
Nice picture maxx!

On the flip-side, we are heavily biased fans and view most things related to MK and DS through rose-tinted glasses.

Exactly
Expected those comments, but that was not my point. They seldom seem neutral and up to date in terms of the artist they are reviewing, they often seem to forget DS was abandoned years ago and that the guy they now review is someone mainly focusing on singing-songwritinf (and very often some of the better lyrics out there) as opposed to the guitar-hero with headband they seem to be hoping for every f-ing time even though he is long gone.

I disagree. Most reviewers understand that a 70-year-old guy doesn't have the same intensity as someone 20, 30 or 40 years younger. But compared with other artists of the same age, it is a fact that Mark is pretty low energy. No one is expecting the guitar hero from 20 or 30 years ago, but as we have discussed here as well, Mark's playing has clearly suffered over the last few years. And people notice. I also think it is more noticeable in big arenas, which require more life on stage to make up for the lack of intimacy of a small theater.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I think for 95% of Mark's career his playing has been unbelievable, and only in the last few years has that suffered, and he admits this himself.  People have got so used to seeing Mark's playing as completely effortless and fluid, that when it slows down, like it has at the start of this tour, it is noticed, yes his energy levels have also slowed, but that down'st worry me, he has never had to be that kind of front man really. At the age he is now, his priorities have changed, which is fine, he sees himself as a songwriter, not a guitarist. I would want to be retired long before 70, but I am not Mark Knopfler!!! My guitar playing will never ever come close to his, so I think at times people can be hard on him.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

hunter

The thing is, though, that the guitar sort of took over where Mark couldn't go in terms of expression. It became that way. In the early days he would be a lot more involved by the way he sang, as I mentioned in the Boston 1979 thread, but later he would "make it cry and sing" through the guitar. That was where a lot of the energy was released. As the guitar has taken more of a backseat over the years, it's not so strange that reviewers and casual fans find it a bit dull. The large band, and people like Danny, certainly help though. Without them I think this tour would have been sad sight, to be honest. The arena format is just too big for Mark the way he is now. A setting similar to the Hurlingham gig would suit him very well now, I think.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I agree the arena setting is to big for him the way he is now, and the Hurlingham setting is better, but there are always going to be a large number of people who want to see him live, so if he does smaller venues, he may have to do more shows then he does by filling arenas. Another option would be the David Gilmour way, by playing a few shows in big and unique venues, but again the energy level and lack of lights and show Gilmour brings would be an issue. I have a feeling that this is the last full scale tour, even if Mark is not talking about retiring again, but he will always do something live. Only time will tell.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
He needs a big stage, too much musicians...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
It's interesting to think what the shows would be like in a theatre-sized venue.  When attending the musical recently one of the best things about it was the energy imparted from the cast, something I can't really remember from Mark it's so long now.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
It's interesting to think what the shows would be like in a theatre-sized venue.  When attending the musical recently one of the best things about it was the energy imparted from the cast, something I can't really remember from Mark it's so long now.

A MK concert in a place like The Lyecum would be something so great... imagine him playing songs like "Heart full of holes" in a proper place for such type of songs, instead of the damm O2 arena or the NEC, or whatever hangar he is playing it...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
The 96 tour (and NHB in 97 actually) was in theatres and was great.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

The 96 tour (and NHB in 97 actually) was in theatres and was great.

I think that is the perfect format for Mark. Easier to establish a connection with the audience and makes it a lot more natural to play more intimate, quieter songs.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
The only observation I wold make is that the energy from mks music is only part of the equation. Essentially mark is a storyteller and always has been. In in the 'good old days' he did this in a truly unique way with the interplay between voice and guitar. Now he uses a broader pallet.  We all loved the energy, but I was always drawn to the deeper meaning of the songs, the characters and the stories they had to tell....

hunter

The only observation I wold make is that the energy from mks music is only part of the equation. Essentially mark is a storyteller and always has been. In in the 'good old days' he did this in a truly unique way with the interplay between voice and guitar. Now he uses a broader pallet.  We all loved the energy, but I was always drawn to the deeper meaning of the songs, the characters and the stories they had to tell....

I would say these days he's a better storywriter than storyteller, if you know what I mean. Before he at least interjected some passion into his vocals.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer

I would say these days he's a better storywriter than storyteller, if you know what I mean. Before he at least interjected some passion into his vocals.

Life as a musical near 70 year old isn't so much about passion so much as it is about observation. The roots of all marks best songs are his  journalistic observations on people and their struggles, the kind of tales that break your heart. For me that's what its always been about. From the guy walking in the wild west end, through an iffy jazz band, via an appliance store in New York, right through to Speedway, Basil Clyde, Bacon roll off the new album, what makes his song writing so unique seems obvious to me. So from my point of view the perceived absence of stage energy, histrionics, or the lack of a little bit of guitar finesse makes no difference. The stories are still there and they still break my heart.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
2manyguitars I think the same:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

hunter

Life as a musical near 70 year old isn't so much about passion so much as it is about observation. The roots of all marks best songs are his  journalistic observations on people and their struggles, the kind of tales that break your heart. For me that's what its always been about. From the guy walking in the wild west end, through an iffy jazz band, via an appliance store in New York, right through to Speedway, Basil Clyde, Bacon roll off the new album, what makes his song writing so unique seems obvious to me. So from my point of view the perceived absence of stage energy, histrionics, or the lack of a little bit of guitar finesse makes no difference. The stories are still there and they still break my heart.

Then why bother to pay good money to go to a show? If the performance is not (that) important, then I may just as well listen to the album. Or read the lyrics. He is an artist AND a performer after all.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer

Then why bother to pay good money to go to a show? If the performance is not (that) important, then I may just as well listen to the album. Or read the lyrics. He is an artist AND a performer after all.

I think you've misunderstood me hunter  :) Of course the performance is important, but it doesn't necessarily need the energy of youth or prime knopfler guitar playing to put across the elements I stated in my previous post. In fact the gravitas of old age can add to those stories in my opinion. Prime live MK was brilliant, flash, amazing, full of energy, but there is far more depth to what he's doing now.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 46 queries.