Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #28 DTRW TOUR - June 11 2019 - Ericsson Globe, Stockholm, Sweden #SPOILER#  (Read 14389 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
I think Piper is one of these songs that are best... on the album. Even in 2010 I thought the live versions were slow and lacked energy. On the Get Lucky album, the build up to the guitar end solo is just amazing, never equalled live...

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
Piper is crap as it is played on this tour; there is no solo at all at the end as Mark merely backs up the brass.  What was once a lovely song is completely ruined and a complete waste of time. 

Going Home doesn't exactly make up for it on this tour either as played on the LP.  ::)

+100  :thumbsup
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

hunter

A Swedish review (Google Translate) https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/a/naMqMJ/knappt-styrfart-for-mummel-knopfler

The first three songs, in particular, of which "Sailing to Philadelphia" was one of those where the guitarist from Dire Straits hardly seemed to touch their lips.

The 69-year-old from Glasgow has never been a showman or entertainer in the true sense of the word, on the contrary. The song should sound like Bob Dylan has taken an extra sleeping pill and still happened to wake up a little too early on a Monday.

But here he sets a new record of being an uncle.

The cut-proof entrance where Knopfler slowly, very slowly, moves across the stage raises an important question:

Will he ever come to the microphone?

It looks like a guitar helps an old man over a crosswalk.

No one requests that Knopfler be anything else. His image and music has always been lovely opposite to the pop industry's ideas about how a rock star should look, behave and be.

But the delivery is a little sad. The presence and intensity could not even blow out a heat candle.

The tempo of the songs rolls forward on the second gear. Button fingers do not set the guitar's tones with the same hypnotic, well-played and beautiful timing. It takes a while before, for example, "Money for nothing" squeaks and slips into the right place among the other instruments.

In view of Knopfler's large and small fantastic song catalog, this year's set list is even of surprises and often carved in stone. And the one who, for example, wanted to hear "Sultans of swing" or "Brothers in arms" may wait in vain.

Mark Knopfler surrounds himself with a brilliant ten-man band of various cats and characters, including the pianist Guy Fletcher who has stayed at the guitarist's side since 1984. All of them give several songs a different sound and color than on the studio album, which becomes especially clear in the Dire Straits jewel ” Once upon a time in the west.

Sometimes the musicians and Knopfler meet in soft jams. Feel free to call for a rock fusion in jeans that breaks the laconic pattern of the gig. In addition, the final with "Piper to the end" and "Going home" is really nice.

But it's like sitting and watching a show being shown in slow motion.

One thing you can still give Knopfler.

He may be the only one who has made a rather brilliant song about a bacon sandwich.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
I like that review. It's always nice to know the opinion of someone who is not a fan and look at it from on objective point of view.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
This was possibly my best MK experience since I first saw him live in 2008. Maybe it was the expectations this time (lower than usual) that made it for me, but this was truly a spectacular evening. Both the guitar playing and singing were mostly A+, and the overall sound was absolutely amazing. The Globe Arena isn't always delivering when it comes to sound quality, but the guys really did it here. He seemed very relaxed and joked around more than I've heard him before.

Standouts:

Done with Bonaparte - Could never believe I would name DWB as a highlight in concert, but the band sounded amazing here and the arrangement was great.
My Bacon Roll - Has never been a favorite for me unlike for most of you other guys, but it fitted well into the set and the solo was close to powerful.
Matchstick Man - Always a bit scary with small songs in a big arena, but it was obviously the most moving song of the night. The audience seemed to think so too.
Speedway at Nazareth - Always a hightlight, stronger than ever.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:26:48 AM by Maxx »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Reading this "article", the only words that come to my mind are:
One of these days I will cut you into little pieces...

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
The same is always written in the Norwegian or Swedish reviews anyways. Just a pile of crap. Reviewers mostly without a clue when it comes to Mks solo-career «refusing» to accept that his musical path is different than it was 35-40 years ago, instead labelling it as boring. Bothers me that no one seems to understand My Bacon Roll in terms of lyrics but it might be too subtle for a simple journalist from a tabloid newspaper ??? Rant over with.
Nice picture maxx!

hunter

The same is always written in the Norwegian or Swedish reviews anyways. Just a pile of crap. Reviewers mostly without a clue when it comes to Mks solo-career «refusing» to accept that his musical path is different than it was 35-40 years ago, instead labelling it as boring. Bothers me that no one seems to understand My Bacon Roll in terms of lyrics but it might be too subtle for a simple journalist from a tabloid newspaper ??? Rant over with.
Nice picture maxx!

On the flip-side, we are heavily biased fans and view most things related to MK and DS through rose-tinted glasses.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Nice picture maxx!

On the flip-side, we are heavily biased fans and view most things related to MK and DS through rose-tinted glasses.

Exactly
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
Nice picture maxx!

Not on this forum, in my opinion.
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I like that review. It's always nice to know the opinion of someone who is not a fan and look at it from on objective point of view.

Me too. It's actually really funny!

Highlights:

"The cut-proof entrance where Knopfler slowly, very slowly, moves across the stage raises an important question:

"Will he ever come to the microphone?

"...it's like sitting and watching a show being shown in slow motion."

:lol :lol :lol

Compare with the Boston '79 show recently posted on here and nobody can argue with this.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:23:29 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

Compare with the Boston '79 show recently posted on here and nobody can argue with this.

Obviously that comparison isn't fair, and I'd be a little worried if Mark had played and sung now with the same intensity he did in 1979! But the slow movements on stage are not a sign of great health, that's for sure. It's like he's walking to the toilet at 4 in the morning, in the dark.

I liked this part though: "It looks like a guitar helps an old man over a crosswalk."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:47:05 PM by hunter »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Obviously that comparison isn't fair, and I'd be a little worried if Mark had played and sung now with the same intensity he did in 1979! But the slow movements on stage are not a sign of great health, that's for sure. It's like he's walking to the toilet at 4 in the morning, in the dark.

I liked this part though: "It looks like a guitar helps an old man over a crosswalk."

Well obviously I don't expect that level from the man, but it was a good example to show the two extremes. :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Reading this "article", the only words that come to my mind are:
One of these days I will cut you into little pieces...
one of my favourites huhuh.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
Nice picture maxx!

Exactly
Expected those comments, but that was not my point. They seldom seem neutral and up to date in terms of the artist they are reviewing, they often seem to forget DS was abandoned years ago and that the guy they now review is someone mainly focusing on singing-songwritinf (and very often some of the better lyrics out there) as opposed to the guitar-hero with headband they seem to be hoping for every f-ing time even though he is long gone.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 43 queries.