Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #30 DTRW TOUR - June 13 2019 - Jyske Bank Boxen, Herning, Denmark #SPOILER#  (Read 6515 times)

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
DTRW TOUR 2019 [C 30] UK/Europe leg 30

VENUE & LATEST TICKET INFO
Buy Tickets:- https://www.ticketmaster.dk/event/JBB1306?language=da-dk&brand=dk_livenation
Clock @ Weather: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/denmark/herning

DIARIES
Guy Fletcher D.T.R.W. tour Diary: http://guyfletcher.co.uk/category/2019-european-tour-diary/
Richard Bennett Notes from the Road: https://www.richard-bennett.com/notes-from-the-road

A.M.I.T. HUB
Who’s going where?: https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=6400.0
Tickets : sale / exchange / wanted: https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?board=48.0
Pre-concert meetings: https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?board=49.0

PREVIOUS/NEXT MARK KNOPFLER Concert
Previous concert:- https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=6980.0
Next Concert:- https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=6996.0

Buy USB’S of this concert:- https://store.markknopfler.com/down-the-road-wherever-live-2019?utm_source=website&utm_medium=landingpage&utm_campaign=04_25_19&utm_content=dtrw_liveconcerts
29 songs were played on the 2015 tour
21 songs yet played on this tour

SET LIST

01. Why Aye Man
02. Corned Beef City
03. Sailing to Philadelphia
04. Once Upon A Time In The West
05. Romeo and Juliet
06. My Bacon Roll
07. Matchstick Man
08. Done With Bonaparte
09. Heart Full of Holes
10. She's Gone
11. Your Latest Trick
12. Postcards from Paraguay
13. On Every Street
14. Speedway at Nazareth

Encores
15. Money For Nothing
16. Piper to the End
17. Going Home
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:08:43 AM by allen »
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
Good things sometimes happends if you wait.....   
Because of the foolishness of the "fair admission" arrangement and all the trouble and speculation I did not order tickets for this concert. I only went for the one in Copenhagen.
I did regret that, and looked around yesterday if by any chance some very, very good tickets were available. 

And Yes !. Two Front Row tickets were available. I bought them through Ticketmaster (standard pricing) from another user that could not make it. She bought them there to begin with of course. So Ticketmaster were given a number of front row tickets.
Anyway.... sometimes you just have to wait :-)
 :thumbsup
Cheers Peter

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
Because of the foolishness of the "fair admission" arrangement and all the trouble and speculation I did not order tickets for this concert. I only went for the one in Copenhagen.
I did regret that, and looked around yesterday if by any chance some very, very good tickets were available. 

And Yes !. Two Front Row tickets were available. I bought them through Ticketmaster (standard pricing) from another user that could not make it. She bought them there to begin with of course. So Ticketmaster were given a number of front row tickets.

:thumbsup No it's time to enjoy
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

If Ticketmaster were given an allocation it makes you wonder just how many were made available to us, the fans for the FA ticketing...

In any event, a real fan managed to get one in the end.  Enjoy the show!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineElDonso

• Guitar George
Great show tonight - Marks playing and singing was IMHO way better than RAH1 which is the only other show that I attended. Suprised that there was no Running of the Bulls tonight - only 3 young bulls standing at the front :)
Long time lurker, life long MK/DS fan. Mark inspired me to pick up the guitar

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Great show tonight - Marks playing and singing was IMHO way better than RAH1 which is the only other show that I attended. Suprised that there was no Running of the Bulls tonight - only 3 young bulls standing at the front :)

Glad you enjoyed! What was the set?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineElDonso

• Guitar George

Glad you enjoyed! What was the set?

I think it was the same as the previous few nights; I'll see if I can recall the set and write it when I get home :)

OfflineElDonso

• Guitar George
Why Aye Man
Corned Beef City
Sailing to Philadelphia
Once Upon a Time in the West
Romeo and Juliet
My Bacon Roll
Matchstick Man
Done with Bonaparte
Heart Full of Holes
She's Gone
Your Latest Trick
Postcards from Paraguay
On Every Street
Speedway at Nazareth
Money for Nothing
Piper to the End
Going Home

OfflineElDonso

• Guitar George
Review (minutes after the show) by the notoriously grumpy reviewer Thomas Treo, from eb.dk
(link: https://ekstrabladet.dk/musik/koncert_anmeldelser/trist-i-boxen-knopfler-kan-ikke-mere/7670158
Hope my translation makes sense ;)

Sadness in “Boxen”: Knopfler is done
The ageing guitar hero was a sad sight during a sleep-inducing koncert in front of 12.000 on the moor.

Mark Knopfler highly unusual entered the stage a few minutes before the announced show start in Boxen. That wasn’t significant for his effort.

The veteran isn’t exactly the sparkly type, and only in glimpses did one notice his presence in his harmless relation with his sizeable band.

Initially, “Why Aye Man” and “Corned Beef City” rambled together in resounding acoustics until the sound man got the ruckus adjusted to a tolerable level.

Ballads like “Sailing to Philadelphia” and “Romeo and Juliet” sounded better, but the - by Knopfler - required warm melodiousness never did spread.

- I was a young dude, when I first came to Denmark. Now I’m an old guy. I often think that I should retire, Knopfler said and explained that he still enjoys it.

Kicking the bucket
The audience booed by the thought of retirement, as the old timer sat down like Kim Larsen, Phil Collins, Marie Fredriksson and all the others.

The brit turns 70 in August, and he might still fill Boxen and Royal Arena where he plays this Saturday, but musically, he’s kicking the bucket.

Knopfler seems resigned on this autum’s weak “Down the Road Wherever”, and the concert almost died, when he by inexplicable reasons decided to thrum the hopeless “My Bacon Roll” from the album. Just the name of it.

In the leaned back world of the guitar hero, to rock is like rocking a rocking chair, but even to his standards, the two hour set was enormously subdued and calm.

One could swing by the local tank station and get a pack of beers while he was introducing the ten fellow musicians and their countless instruments.

Celtic sounds
The lads diligently mastered everything from violin to flutes and accordion, horns and an arsenal of stringed instruments, which often emphasised the celtic tones in Knopfler’s sound.

But it wasn’t enough.

The concert missed basic dynamics, and it seemed like the audience slumbered into dreaming of Dire Straits, while the idiots in the VIP-lounges kept getting more and more drunk and loud.

The guitar playing of the main character was in contrast surprisingly downplayed. By the end, “Money for Nothing” was finally played, and was met by roaring cheers which quickly silenced as not even the classic hit had the needed impact.

Knopfler left the stage with heavily slouching steps. Much like his effort.

3 of 6 stars
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:05:53 AM by ElDonso »

hunter

That was indeed harsh. I see Jyllands Posten has a better review, though.

By the way, does anyone else cringe a little when Mark uses the word 'dude' about himself? I guess it's for comedic effect, but it just sounds so wrong from a 70-year-old Brit.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Funny review. You would think they would love My Bacon Roll in Denmark.

I have no problem with MK saying young dude - maybe he's thinking of Mott the Hoople.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
So, just proves my point from previously,-they are not updates on the artist they review. «Finally came MFN» like it was a 1986 DS concert and one would expected it sooner, without having a clue it has not been played at all for 14 years..

And can someone from this forum please write in length to Associated Press explaining the likely meaning and story behind My Bacon Roll?! How hard can it be for a reviewer,-they all seem to believe MK actually wrote a song about a bacon buttie without anything more to it?? Jeezez how dumb can one be..you think the genius who wrote BiA and TR does that without it being multi-layered??

hunter

And can someone from this forum please write in length to Associated Press explaining the likely meaning and story behind My Bacon Roll?! How hard can it be for a reviewer,-they all seem to believe MK actually wrote a song about a bacon buttie without anything more to it?? Jeezez how dumb can one be..you think the genius who wrote BiA and TR does that without it being multi-layered??

I agree, BUT without Mark's explanation of My Bacon Roll (Brexit man etc.), the meaning is pretty vague and obscured. Remember the discussions we had when the album came out? It certainly is a song for people in-the-know, and given the fact that Mark has indeed written his share of banal songs before, it's easy to assume that this is just another one of those.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Who gives a review out of 6 stars? It is normally out of 5 or 10 :hmm
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
Awesome concert !!.

DO NOT pay attention to that review from EB.-dk that is translated here. Mr. Thomas Treo is very well known to be harsh with actually everyone. He is well known grumpy and irrelevant.
The newspaper keeps him because they think its sort of funny that he pisses a lot of people off. No one can satisfy his taste.
The other papers here gave 4 out of 5 which is more suitable in my view.

Personally there was some boring tracks played bot 10-11 great, great ones. The band was awesome and especially Danny Cummings looked like he had a blast.

MFN was brilliant and RAJ got us very touched. Very moving. And he did not say goodbye, he sad he loved touring and he would probably go on until he falls like a tree.

Cheers Peter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 42 queries.