Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News:
- Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DS live in Boston 1979  (Read 307 times)

Offlinehunter

• Lady writer
DS live in Boston 1979
« on: June 10, 2019, 12:20:12 pm »
I'm not much of a bootleg guy, so there are tons stuff I have missed out on, for instance this:

I can't believe how on fire the whole band was back then, even more so than the on the Rockpalast gig. Mark's playing just out of this world. Maybe a little over the top even at times. I actually wonder if DS was a little influenced by punk when it comes to energy and performance. Mark seriously barks the lyrics. Pick of course just insanse drumming. Stunning groove.

Thank goodness it's possible to visit the past and relive some of this greatness.

Edit: There is in disco in Southbound Again! Disco beat with punk-style vocal delivery topped off with chicken picking guitar. You don't get that too often.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:28:41 pm by hunter »

OfflinePeter1981

• Guitar George
Re: DS live in Boston 1979
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:52:49 am »
man, you're absolutely right; this is the band I fell in love with. I love the unique combination of songcraftsmanship (that a lot of bands in general lack), musicality (that a lot of punkbands lack)  ánd youthful energy (that a lot of rootsy-/countrybands lack).
Completely unique and never ever copied; one of a kind indeed.
I like almost all different skins of DS, but this is by far my favorite one!
There's also a great liveversion (in the same groovy disco-esque vibe) of Single handed sailor floating around the internet somewhere.

OfflineJF

• Juliet
    • Home made recordings
Re: DS live in Boston 1979
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 10:28:09 am »
I love the late 79 gigs.
Mark plays with more improvisation than on Rockpalast
check Amsterdam, Carre, 4/11/79 : you can hear the pre-experimentation period that will come in 80-81, on songs like Single handed sailor or Down to the waterline

another rhing : the WDYTYG version on that Boston recording could be the one quoted in the Oldfield book, when Ed explains that Holly phoned Mark just before the gig to say it's over. And Ed says "he sung WDYDYG like never before, I had tears in my eyes"

© 2018 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by knopflerized.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 36 queries.