Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #32 DTRW TOUR - June 17 2019 - AccorHotels Arena, Paris, France #SPOILER#  (Read 16582 times)

hunter

The tempo of Once Upon is actually fine, judging the song on its own, but the issue is that whole string of songs from Sailing up until Paraguay. With the exception of Bonaparte, which is not exactly a rocker, everything is so mellow and low tempo and similar. And both Sailing and Once have that fairly long part where they trade solos.

Boosting the tempo of Once just a notch AND keeping SIlvertown in the set would have helped quite bit. (Leaving out SIlvertown is a big mistake, I think.)

I think it's quite incredible really that out of the 16-17 songs they play, more than half are slow/slowish and quiet.

Offlinewebvan

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Great show last night !

Guitar 1 :

Guitar 2 :

Guitar 3 :

Guitar 4 :

Guitar 5 (Pensa MK-90 Blue Ice Metallic):

Guitar 6 :

Guitar 7 :

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:50:40 AM by webvan »

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
That Pensa is gorgeous, and sound incredible.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
I loved the slower version of Once Upon. It was much more like the original recording. A very funky feel, more like the original Dire Straits sound. And that’s one of the coolest sounds there is.

Totally agree. I just love this slower, more moody version and to actually hear it Live blows your mind!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
What a night !
I was worried at the beginning, during the first half of WAM it sounded as if half the instruments were gone... And Mark signalling right away to stop filming... But things got much better then, great atmosphere and playing :) too bad SB seems gone for good...

Paris always had the tradition to start the Run Of the Bulls earlier than anywhere else. In 2010 it was at speedway instead of TR. In 2015 Paris completely redefined the concept of ROTB, started at Sultans, half of the concert standing in front of the stage ! :) Yesterday didn't break that record, but hey, ROTB at Postcards, not bad ! ;) Fabulous MFN, 2 greenies in BIA, too bad, but still a fantastic night.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Lovely photos, encompassing those lovely axes...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
What a night !
I was worried at the beginning, during the first half of WAM it sounded as if half the instruments were gone... And Mark signalling right away to stop filming... But things got much better then, great atmosphere and playing :) too bad SB seems gone for good...

Paris always had the tradition to start the Run Of the Bulls earlier than anywhere else. In 2010 it was at speedway instead of TR. In 2015 Paris completely redefined the concept of ROTB, started at Sultans, half of the concert standing in front of the stage ! :) Yesterday didn't break that record, but hey, ROTB at Postcards, not bad ! ;) Fabulous MFN, 2 greenies in BIA, too bad, but still a fantastic night.

Woooohoooo, glad you had a good night....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
The tempo of Once Upon is actually fine, judging the song on its own, but the issue is that whole string of songs from Sailing up until Paraguay. With the exception of Bonaparte, which is not exactly a rocker, everything is so mellow and low tempo and similar. And both Sailing and Once have that fairly long part where they trade solos.

Boosting the tempo of Once just a notch AND keeping SIlvertown in the set would have helped quite bit. (Leaving out SIlvertown is a big mistake, I think.)

I think it's quite incredible really that out of the 16-17 songs they play, more than half are slow/slowish and quiet.

100%.  It's a very pedestrian show.  Best parts are the first song and the first encore (unless you are lucky enough to get BIA).  It's all very professional and well done but you feel it drag a lot and sit there waiting for the next song at times.  Silvertown is a pretty slow-building song though in the vein of OES, so I don't really think it makes a difference.  There isn't a climax either but we've been through that. 

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMudrian

• Guitar George
was there yesterday ,with wife and kids.
I decided just to enjoy the concert without any concerns regarding set list,errors etc...It was clear for me that, being supposly the last tour, all that counted was enjoying this moments...And I did...
I found the set very emotional ....and of course I would have liked SOS, TR...but you can not blame Mark for not being the one he use to be.....
I can fully understand that if he thinks he s not able to play a song "correctly" that he wants to skip it.
RAJ and BIA were beautifully played...and I must admit that tfhis is the show I' ve been where I heard the least errors ....
Was just a perfect evening....
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
Fantastic show, MK in great mood !
Here some of my videos :

They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Is it just me or is the Speedway solo shorter?  Seems it just doesn't build up to much before it finishes.

To be honest I think he hasn't come back from his break yet.  It seems he's taken the week off to reflect and thought he'd take the foot off the gas.  Not a good thing when you were crawling along in the first instance!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
Even though Once Upon a Time was a great surprise, it could really do with a bit higher tempo. From Sailing up until Paraguay, the show is one big lullaby. Pretty, well-crafted songs and performance and all that, but I don't know.

Yeah, I wish Once Upon would be a little bit faster, but hey, it would mean faster solos and this is not what Mark is up to it seems, because he's an "old guy". Totally acceptable for me though, because his solos over this song are cooler than ever. Cooler than 35+ years ago.

There isn’t necessarily a connection between age and BPM in music. He might just prefer to play the songs in a certain tempo because he thinks they sound better. If so, I agree with him. I really enjoy his tempo now and all of the more slow songs from his catalogue, and I’m  only half as old as he is...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Even though Once Upon a Time was a great surprise, it could really do with a bit higher tempo. From Sailing up until Paraguay, the show is one big lullaby. Pretty, well-crafted songs and performance and all that, but I don't know.

Yeah, I wish Once Upon would be a little bit faster, but hey, it would mean faster solos and this is not what Mark is up to it seems, because he's an "old guy". Totally acceptable for me though, because his solos over this song are cooler than ever. Cooler than 35+ years ago.

There isn’t necessarily a connection between age and BPM in music. He might just prefer to play the songs in a certain tempo because he thinks they sound better. If so, I agree with him. I really enjoy his tempo now and all of the more slow songs from his catalogue, and I’m  only half as old as he is...
Yes. Faster does not necessarily mean better.
Best example, TR in 1992. The end solo, granted, was out of this world, but it just didn't fit the song. This was a case were the playing was *TOO* fast. I was more a show-off exercice, really. As if Mark was so bored with this OES tour that his only distraction was demoing his guitar skills... Subsequent solo versions in 96 were way better and perfectly suited the song.
This being said, I like it fast :) I prefer up-tempo versions of BIA (1985, 2019) to slow ones (1996, 2001).  Same for MFN, 1985 was fast, I like it better than slower Knebworth 1990. But MK  is  right to say that the song in king, too fast can be harmful. Like  Going  Home  in 1985 with Henk, it was up-tempo, too much I think. And  above all, this TR in 92, out of the world but otherwise ruined by lack of intro, abuse of pedal steel and sax, and unsuitable pace...   

Offlinewebvan

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
@EL Macho - nice videos, thanks ! What camera did you use ? I got some good videos with my Sony HX90 but its audio is poor :-(

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
They play tonight in Paris too?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 40 queries.