Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Danny Cummings  (Read 11117 times)

OfflineVincent Rapide

• Guitar George
Danny Cummings
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »
Not taking anything away from Ian Thomas, but what are people’s thoughts on Danny Cummings not being used instead? Appreciate he’s a fantastic percussionist but can’t help feeling it’s like some sort of demotion. Especially when Mark introduces Thomas as ‘the best drummer in the UK’.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
Re: Danny Cummings
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »
Danny himself recommended IanTo to Mark.
Wasn't it Glenn who insisted on a change of drummer?
The story should be trackable either here or on Guy's forum history.
There was also a personal message from Danny back then on Guy's forum in his answer column.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:58:27 PM by skydiver »

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
personally i thought Danny was better on Speedway.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »

There's so many discussions on that topic, I thought about it again this morning when I listened to some of the tracks from the new album. The thing people miss is that some people are great live and some great in the studio. I think Ian is the best studio drummer, no doubt, but Danny's live drumming I love more. Same thing with Jim Cox, he's absolutely unbeaten in the studio, but live? I love Matt Rollings more. And so on.

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 12:31:51 PM »
At first, Danny was a worldwide recognized percussionist. He played with DS during their last tour. I guess he practiced his drums short after because you can see him play drums at some promo gigs with Mark in 1996 and also in 2000. Then he did the 4 London shows in 2002. I was there and it was great. A revelation.

He was supposed to be the drummer for the 2003 RPD tour but this one was cancelled due to Mark's unfortunate accident.

The 2005 Shangri-La Tour began with Chad Cromwell until he had to leave for some unveiled reasons which we will never know. Danny took over Chad on April 1st at Lisbon on a pretty short notice. Danny was supposed to stay until June 3rd but Chad never came back. My guess is that there was a problem between Mark and Chad with him leaving the band in the middle of a tour. Also, Chad was seen playing with Neil Young a few weeks after. Plus, I strongly believe that Mark was happy with Danny’s work — and he was right.

Danny stayed in Mark's band until the end of the Get Lucky Tour in July 2010 and it’s unclear what happened next. Mark may wanted to try something new. It also coincided with the return of Jim Cox on piano. At that time, Danny's own words were that "Mark thought that it was the right time to refresh the band". I once read that Glenn also played a role in Danny’s replacement but it was never confirmed. In the end it's always Mark's decision I suppose.

I remember that the switch happened during the making of Bap Kennedy’s record in 2011.

Anyone has his own opinions and Mark has his when he says that Ian is « the best drummer of the UK » etc. Maybe he is and maybe he is not but Mark has his reasons for hiring him since 2011.

I only speak for myself of course but from my musical point of view, I’ve never missed someone as I’ve been missing Danny since he left the drums stool… but I’ve said it so many times before…

If not for drums, I’m happy to have him back for this record and tour. Danny is a brilliant drummer and also a brilliant percussionist and he brings a lot to the songs — same as the horn section by the way. Why? I think it's because he knows our man very well, he feels the songs and you can feel this when he plays, whether on drums or percussion.

Danny is also a very, very nice man and I’m sure he is a great guy to have as a friend and in a band, a man in every corner. And for me, the top of the best.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:13:32 AM by NicoMK »

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 02:03:33 AM »
Ian Thomas has a large palette and can play anything.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 07:50:21 AM »
Danny is a percussionist, not a drummer.

For a percussionists, drums are just one instrument more between all they play. A percussionist is not an expert drummer. That's what drummers are for. They are just musicians that can play drums as another part of their percussion skills.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 02:03:51 PM »

There's so many discussions on that topic, I thought about it again this morning when I listened to some of the tracks from the new album. The thing people miss is that some people are great live and some great in the studio. I think Ian is the best studio drummer, no doubt, but Danny's live drumming I love more. Same thing with Jim Cox, he's absolutely unbeaten in the studio, but live? I love Matt Rollings more. And so on.
Hear hear!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »

For a percussionists, drums are just one instrument more between all they play. A percussionist is not an expert drummer. That's what drummers are for. They are just musicians that can play drums as another part of their percussion skills.

I disagree, and also Guy disagree with you ont that. He often said that Danny is an excellent drummer. I also think he is not a great percussionist only but also a great drummer.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 05:58:16 PM »

I disagree, and also Guy disagree with you ont that. He often said that Danny is an excellent drummer. I also think he is not a great percussionist only but also a great drummer.

Did I said he is not a good drummer?

I said he's an excellent percussionist and as drums are one of the lot of percussion instruments he plays, a good drummer, as he is a good triangle player, a good congas player, a good is shaker player etc. That's why he's an excellent percussionist.

But an excellent drummer, 100 % expert in just his instrument is more than a good drummer 

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 06:01:17 PM »
If you record and play live with Mark Knopfler, then you are a top notch drummer anyway. You can be a drummer AND a percussionist as well.

Guy is a great keyboard player and, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't he the one who plays bass on Redbud tree?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »
Let's say that a drummer spends all his life studying all the drums techniques and styles. A percussionist spends his life learning how to play a lot of instruments and how to play all of them in different styles usually they don't get to play drums offen because... Because usually there is a drummer already!

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 06:55:43 PM »
If you record and play live with Mark Knopfler, then you are a top notch drummer anyway. You can be a drummer AND a percussionist as well.

Guy is a great keyboard player and, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't he the one who plays bass on Redbud tree?
I believe it was River Towns.

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »
I guess it’s a matter of taste, and taste is often connected to what you are used to.

I like change. That could be the reason why I like Ianto’s playing on almost any MK song, even Speedway, (but MfN not so much, there I miss Omar Hakim or whoever plays on the original). He is no doubt a master of the drums, and I guess «better» than Danny and Terry, but who cares. It depends on what you like.

MK live drummers from best to worst in my own very personal and subjective opinion:
Pick, Ianto, Chad, Danny, Terry and Chris.

Sax players: Mel Collins, Nigel, the one who plays on this tour (great), Chris (not so great).

Pianists: Matt, Jim, Alan, Geraint.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 10:43:11 PM »
Agree with a lot of that.

Would say however that Geraint is a great player (and solo artist in his own right) but his style is better suited to rock and roll type stuff than Telegraph Road etc
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 38 queries.