Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: It's A Shame Really  (Read 11204 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: It's A Shame Really
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »
I'm happy with the set list too and I don't find the "quiet" section boring at all.   I still look forward to My Bacon Roll, especially the outro and Matchstick Man is really beautiful - I notice that the audience seemed to like it a lot on my recording - there was a lot of applause!  I have always liked Bonaparte and the present arrangement sounds fine.   Heart Full of Holes is probably the weakest song on the set list for me, but it would be better if MK didn't roll his "r's" so much on "heart"!   I never cared much for YLT on the album, but for some reason I liked it at the show, especially the sax.   

Highlights from the rest of the show were Once Upon a Time, WAM, MFN and R&J.

Even though I'm happy with the set list, I hope I will be lucky and hear BIA and OES played when I get to Verona, instead of Piper and Silvertown, just for a change or, who knows, maybe even something new!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
I am yet to see the show but I know that I'll be happy with whatever setlist is played.

BUT

Come on Mark, One Song At A Time has been just asking if not screaming to be played live! And here I agree with the topic of this thread. It's a shame it will probably never be played for the audience.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 09:35:01 PM »
As ever, the set is designed for the majority, not the small percentage of "get a lifers" who check each set list.

The vast majority of the thousands who attend each concert (95%? Guess) will attend one show and not download multiple.

They will go away happy.

I second that Dusty. The show is a great mixture of songs from the whole DS and MK era. Of course, attending 18 shows, I would love to have a different setlist every night. But that’s Impossible. MK wants to have it nothing less than perfect. So only the perfect songs will appear
i second that too, "but" also consider this, if they could manage only but a single new song per show?
(that would mean no less than a 100 songs set list!  :D )
Now, you're just about close to solve this only if you can call all of these 100 sheep by their names!
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 10:09:18 PM »
Not to mention the text Nigel Hitchcock sent to Ianto about Hamburg gig  ;D ;D :

http://guyfletcher.co.uk/25th-june-2019-hamburg/

If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 10:14:08 PM »
Not to mention the text Nigel Hitchcock sent to Ianto about Hamburg gig  ;D ;D :

http://guyfletcher.co.uk/25th-june-2019-hamburg/

:lol :lol

I loved Nigel too.  You could see a good relationship between him and Mark on stage which is missing with grim Graeme, good player though he is.  The same kind of relationship he has with Danny.  I kind of miss him.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 06:29:03 PM »
I don't get why, after releasing such a varied and "adventurous" disc, the set is so unchanging.

Ok there is OUATITW but I would be perfectly happy with a show consisting in his solo work only.

Silvertown should have been played at all the shows. Guy teased it in a diary entry with a picture and I thought this is it! It is in the show. I went to the Nimes show which ended up being one of the shortest, without Heart and Silvertown and missing an encore. So basicaly apart from the two song from the album and a few surprise arrangements that was it. 

I tried to keep the setlist unspoilt but youtube propositions and guy diary spoiled the only few surprises I could have. I knew about OUATITW, Bacon , WAM, MFN, Sailing, silvertown

The only surprises were when Danny sang the Sailing duet (great in my opinion) , Bacon version that I really like, the Santana-style Postcard (a killer) the extended MFN. I don't care much for YLT and OES and knew they would be there anyway.

So I understand people can be a bit disillusioned and think it's a shame.

Guy keeps repeating they don't look back but they hardly play any new material. New arrangements are fine but they shouldn't be a justification.

For me a good show would be made of
5 or 6 new songs from the last disc
2 or 3 never or very rarely played from his solo work  (here Silvertown and Heart were great)
4 or 5 usual songs from his solo album (speedway, Sailing, etc
4 or 5 DS songs (but I could live with just 1 or 2)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 08:27:29 PM »
"So I understand people can be a bit disillusioned and think it's a shame"

People disappointed? SHAME ? For whom... I do not understand. It's a fantastic tour
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:35:07 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 08:54:31 PM »
I was refering to the poster.

I liked the show I went to but I can understand some people's feeling and disappointment
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:56:39 PM by Pierre »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
I didn't meet people disappointed. That's why I was surprised.
Clear as the day

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »

There can't be many people at the show disappointed; everyone's on a high.  Only in retrospect can you give an honest review. 

A guy in my street went to the show in Glasgow and I met him coming home from the station.  He told me he enjoyed the show but was disappoint he didn't play BIA.  It isn't perfect.  :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »

There can't be many people at the show disappointed; everyone's on a high.  Only in retrospect can you give an honest review. 

A guy in my street went to the show in Glasgow and I met him coming home from the station.  He told me he enjoyed the show but was disappoint he didn't play BIA.  It isn't perfect.  :)

Same feeling as I had then.. I immidiately realised they would not play it when Guy came out with acoustic guitar... :thumbsdown

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »

I agree.  At the time I preferred Newcastle to Leeds, but when I heard the recordings I liked Leeds much more.   The recording of Newcastle had quite a few greenies here and there and MK's voice sounded a bit rough in comparison with Leeds.  One or two songs were better than Leeds, but, generally, both were very enjoyable concerts.  I have almost worn out the Leeds recording, I like it so much!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 02:52:48 PM »

Exactly, right after the show I'm always glad I came, but the next day I looked at the past reviews and setlists, and this time I felt I had been cheated a bit.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
I've been on two concerts. Day by day. The set lists were the same. I didn't feel cheated. I think if the next day they played Brothers In Arms which I missed a bit and I would not be at this concert I would not feel cheated.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:32:41 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 03:23:52 PM »
This is a gamble, sometime you win, sometime you loose.

But the thing that really counts is about the one(s) you attended "was it a good show?" independently of the days before and the days after because they are another story.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.