Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #57 DTRW TOUR - July 22 2019 - Arena di Verona, Verona, Italy  (Read 34441 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: #57 DTRW TOUR - July 22 2019 - Arena di Verona, Verona, Italy
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »
I think if you look at that video at 0:58 you can see what Mark's issue is, his legs are not even straight, and his upper body is bent, he clearly has medical problems, so,  :thumbsup for doing the tour Mark, looking at that, it may well be his last tour, not because he doesn't want to play live, more because his body can't take it. And any guitar playing issue stem from this in my view, he has played for decades now, and you don't just loose the ability.

The difference in Mark's mobility between the last and the current tour is staggering. That is not just because of age. Whatever it is, I wish him all the best and hope there is a way to recover. If he can't continue touring because of health issues, at least I hope he'll be able to keep playing in the studio.

You're right.  I never really noticed it until last night when I was watching You Tube and a video from this tour.  A suggestion came up alongside of the Padova 2015 show, so I watched a part of it and it was like a different man.  His mobility in all limbs is slower and seems restricted somehow.  It's really sad to see this in someone who should rightly be giving so much for another 5-10 years anyway. Of course his well being is of primary importance but I think touring must make him feel good mentally.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:25:27 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2019, 03:28:30 PM »
Yea i noticed this too..

In 2013/2015 videos he looks slimmer, healthier and playing decent SoS/TR....

Big difference this time when you study how he stands at the stage etc. Bit sad...

I don't mind if he use the chair again as in 2010

Offlinedona74

• Guitar George
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2019, 04:38:21 PM »
And later on during the tour, he seems to be more comfortable....
I saw one of the early show, in Lisbon, and was very clear that he was uncomfortable with himself....
Our Mark is old.... not a tragedy.... i think (and hope) that's all.

I consider a very right decision to drop Telegraph and Sultans.... it's ok...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2019, 04:49:46 PM »
Yea i noticed this too..

In 2013/2015 videos he looks slimmer, healthier and playing decent SoS/TR....

Big difference this time when you study how he stands at the stage etc. Bit sad...

I don't mind if he use the chair again as in 2010

To be honest I don't think he performs certain songs well in the chair.  It's fine with the slow, laid back numbers but he always looked awkward and uncomfortable trying to play most of the set while seated.  His posture on that stool whilst playing was terrible.  I think if it did help him he would already be seated but obviously he prefers standing.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »
Folks, I used to play 6-8-10 hours a day every day until my wrists eventually collapsed and I can assure you that he can play
any of his song, standing or seated, it's just his own decision to drop some of them, unfortunately the best ones

Some of the errors that you hear here and there in Speedway for example would be in telegraph or sultans, but not because they are more difficult than speedway, it's just his own decision

He makes more or less the same errors than Gilmour made at the same age of about 70 in the last tour (2015-2016) and considering that Dire Straits songs have always been much faster than Pink Floyd ones I think MK has aged even better than David.

The walking issue seems to me 'only' a mechanical/orthopedic issue aggravating by being too fat in this tour, I don't see anything too concerning
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2019, 06:40:39 PM »
Folks, I used to play 6-8-10 hours a day every day until my wrists eventually collapsed and I can assure you that he can play
any of his song, standing or seated, it's just his own decision to drop some of them, unfortunately the best ones

Some of the errors that you hear here and there in Speedway for example would be in telegraph or sultans, but not because they are more difficult than speedway, it's just his own decision

He makes more or less the same errors than Gilmour made at the same age of about 70 in the last tour (2015-2016) and considering that Dire Straits songs have always been much faster than Pink Floyd ones I think MK has aged even better than David.

The walking issue seems to me 'only' a mechanical/orthopedic issue aggravating by being too fat in this tour, I don't see anything too concerning

Fat is a bit much said, I think. Overweight, yes, but not to the point where it impacts his playing. My guess it's a back problem.

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
There where just some pictures on FB where he actually looked very well and not fat at all. I tried to attach them somehow but was not able to.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2019, 08:58:29 PM »

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:00:58 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2019, 11:49:49 PM »

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2019, 11:52:50 PM »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:56:48 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2019, 08:12:52 AM »

I could have written this myself

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »

I could have written this myself

I'm wondering if the dear Master has been taking Steroids for something which would explain the 'Plumpness'??!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »
I'm wondering if the dear Master has been taking Steroids for something which would explain the 'Plumpness'??!

I think we have once again crossed a line where we have lost the rest of at least a little respect for MK here.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2019, 03:09:02 PM »

I think we have once again crossed a line where we have lost the rest of at least a little respect for MK here.

Au contrere, I'm simply saying I'm wondering if MK has some sort of health issue and has been taking Steroids. Steroids are known to add weight to a person. As for respect, I don't think you need question my respect for the Master....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2019, 03:28:42 PM »
Only vocals live, music playback? Not too interesting? Or do you refer to the venue alone?

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 42 queries.