Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #59 DTRW TOUR - Aug 17 2019 - Metropolitan Opera House, Philadelphia, PA, US  (Read 9795 times)

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
Man, that was a strong Speedway.. at Philadelphia

If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Looking at Guy's photos from this venue, I can just say wow. Exactly, those are the venues that I would have loved to hear Mark in. Except maybe RAH, is there any venue in Europe like the MET that Mark played? It seems like the smaller, more intimate venues are in the US. I guess it always was like this. Or? The huge multi-use arenas in Europe (O2 etc.) are simply disgusting.

Probably the main reason ticket prices in the US are much higher than in Europe.  The question is: would we be prepared to pay an extra £10-20 for a more intimate venue?  It soon mounts up when you attend a few shows.

Well, it’s the reason I went to Lucca instead of Antwerp, Amsterdam or Cologne (which are a one hour drive for me). Yes, you may call me nuts! ;D

In the end I do conclude the venue has a huge impact on the experience. If I’d knew this before, I’d have checked the more intimate venues during previous tours too.

In the US I went to a Bryan Adams gig in a small theatre, which was absolutely one of the best concerts I’ve attended, thanks to the venue experience.

You're so right.  Of course the sound of the venue and your seat make a huge difference too.  Gotta love these old theatres though; Mark at the Playhouse in Edinburgh 2005 was one of the best shows I've been to.

I was there too - 2005 and 2008.   4th and 5th row respectively!    2005 especially, was one of my favourites!    :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:46:43 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Man, that was a strong Speedway.. at Philadelphia

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
funny, I was expecting to find videos of Sailing to Philadelphia in Philadelphia ?  ;D

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
funny, I was expecting to find videos of Sailing to Philadelphia in Philadelphia ?  ;D

Yes. I thought about it too.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinezigner

• Guitar George

Well, the Nazareth Speedway location is about 75 miles (120 kilometers) from Philadelphia, so this song is locally significant as well.   The speedway is no longer operating though, and the new owners agreed to a non-compete provision to not compete with Pocono Raceway, so it is gone forever.

https://racingnews.co/2017/08/28/nazareth-speedway-plans-proposed/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:43:37 PM by zigner »

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer

Well, the Nazareth Speedway location is about 75 miles (120 kilometers) from Philadelphia, so this song is locally significant as well.   The speedway is no longer operating though, and the new owners agreed to a non-compete provision to not compete with Pocono Raceway, so it is gone forever.

Thanks for sharing, there's gotta be a record of this song some place  ;)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..

D
Thanks for sharing, there's gotta be a record of this song some place  ;)

Thanks for the share  :)

Very good version, guitar more hooked up with the voice, and some interesting variations\intervals used by Mark.

Good stuff....

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
https://www.mcall.com/entertainment/lehigh-valley-music/mc-ent-mark-knopfler-review-met-philadelphia-20190818-eixociqjvbec7exibto7yz3ady-story.html

Thanks for posting the review link, unfortunatelly it is unaccessible in Europe.

Thanks for sharing, here is the old and precious copy/paste... a great article.

REVIEW: Mark Knopfler at The Met Philly shows ‘That’s the way you do it’
By JOHN J. MOSER

“Look at them yo-yos/That’s the way to do it,” Mark Knopfler sang on his band Dire Straits’ biggest hit, “Money for Nothing.”

The Knopfler who played at The Met Philadelphia on Saturday was neither the rock star he described in that song, nor a yo-yo. But he emphatically showed how to do it.

In a wonderful two-hour, three-encore show that sampled his recording career of more than 40 years, backed by an intuitive and talented 10-member band, Knopfler by turns played sympathetically and powerfully over several genres, and displayed not only his talent at guitar, but at songs that touch emotions.

The opening “Why Aye Man,” the lead track off his 2002 album “The Ragpicker’s Dream,” showed that power – immediately establishing Knopfler’s distinctive sound, but also later in its nine-minute presentation also showed the nuances of his band, with fiddle and muffed trumpet.

That song helped establish the mood of the show, which offered just 16 songs that averaged nearly seven minutes each – many of them virtual soundscapes.

That wasn’t the case for the second song, the far more straight-forward, chugging country tune “Corned Beef City,” on which Knopfler played sharp, stinging guitar over boogie-woogie piano.

But it was especially true of the third song, the appropriate “Sailing to Philadelphia” – the sold-out audience of about 4,000 cheered with recognition at the first notes – with its gentle vocals and sympathetic music.

On it, Knopfler displayed his absolute mastery of the music. Playing in a red spotlight, his seemingly simple, supple notes were perfect for the feelings the song wanted to impart.

The same was true for “Once Upon a Time in the West” – the first of just five Dire Straits songs Knopfler played. It started with military fife and drums, but over its seven-minute run was a guitar showcase. And Knopfler – unlike “Guitar George” in “Sultans of Swing” – definitely made his instrument cry and sing.

The show’s clear centerpiece was another Dire Straits song – a nine-minute “Romeo and Juliet,” on which Knopfler’s singing was at its most expressive, matching the song’s heart-rending lyrics, and the band at its sharpest.

For the first half of the show, Knopfler literally let his music do the talking, but finally spoke to the crowd before two songs from his most recent disc, last year’s “Down the Road Wherever,” telling how he first came to Philadelphia on a Greyhound bus, then later with Dire Straits.

“Back then I was just a young dude,” said Knopfler, who turned 70 five days earlier and finally sat to play.

Those new songs were very good: “My Bacon Roll” was an achingly sweet, sweeping soundscape. And the far better “Matchstick Man,” played after a story about hitchhiking with his guitar on Christmas Eve, was a lovely, nostalgic story.

Knopfler displayed his versatility, playing resonator guitar (“All I wanted when I was a kid was one guitar,” he said. “Now guitars everywhere”) on the largely acoustic and very Celtic “Done with Bonaparte,” then the slow, whimsical waltz of “Heart Full of Holes.”

Another Dire Straits song, “Your Latest Trick” from the watershed “Brothers in Arms” disc, was very jazzy, opening with a long sax solo, and “Postcards from Paraguay” was a fun calypso number that had the crowd clapping along and moving in their seats.

But his Dire Straits material still might have been his best. His guitar on “On Every Street,” the title track from the band’s 1991 album, was excitingly recognizable, and the two-minute instrumental run that closed the song was piercing and soul-touching.

Knopfler closed the main set with another song from “Sailing to Philadelphia,” the mean and burning “Speedway at Nazareth” – a tip of the hat to Martin Guitar, just 75 miles away. Knopfler’s guitar was incendiary.

The encore was an equally hot version of Dire Straits’ biggest hit, “Money for Nothing” that was even more muscular than the original version – Knopfler’s guitar so hot, it was no doubt giving him the blisters on his little finger and thumb of which the song speaks as it stretched to eight minutes.

The reaction to that song suggested there was room for other Dire Straits hits. It was a disappointment he didn’t play “Sultans of Swing.” “Skateaway” or “So Far Away” or even “Walk of Life” perhaps would have added more fun to the show.

But Knopfler returned again for a far more subtle sendoff: the gentle “Piper to the End” was sad in the way the end of a great night always is, Knopfler capturing the essence in his lyrics “Now the day is almost done … Someday here we will meet again.”

And the audience even cajoled him out for a third encore, a lovely five-minute instrumental coda as the crowd clapped along.

Earlier in the set, during his first words to the crowd, Knopfler, now gray and bespectacled, said he has thought about retirement. “But then I think, I just love this.”

And that’s the way you do it.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
Thank youuuuuuuu!!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.