Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler's new album Heartlands  (Read 1954 times)

hunter

David Knopfler's new album Heartlands
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
Listening to it now as I type.

As he's gotten older, I find his voice a lot more tolerable. That's a good thing. I also like that he dares to be political in his art, which may or may not be a good thing to some. I don't necessarily agree with all his viewpoints, but I appreciate that he expresses his opinions. I haven't paid attention to the lyrics carefully enough to be able to say whether they are good or bad. I don't think he's ever written bad lyrics. He may not be a genius lyricist, but he's way above average. Far better than John Illsley for example.

The music in general I find very pleasant and melodic, but I honestly feel the production and the arrangements have a slightly amateurish sheen. That of course may be down to budget and time constraints. I think it would have helped a lot to record at British Grove and get Guy to help out. John Illsley's albums, although not masterpieces, at least sound really good, much thanks to Guy's technical expertise and experience as Mark's co-producer.

I'd say it's a pretty good album, but I don't feel I need to hear it again right away.

Offlineenrkaton82

• Guitar George
Re: David Knopfler's new album Heartlands
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 05:16:12 PM »
I have listened about 4-5 times since tha day was launched. Like most of recent David CDs, i have mixed feelings (but good overall). There are several strong songs, but the whole body of work is a bit lame, and as hunter said, the arrangements are too obvious. But same can be said on John Illsley albums and even for Mark: hundrum chord progressions, predictable drum patterns and very little imagination. Pure comfort zone. Sometimes i would like to put just a little more "spice" on it.

I really miss the input David put in the late 90s and 00s albums. For instance, the songs on Ship of Dreams or Wishbones (specially on this one) have yet simple, but clever arrangements. You also have brass, organ, electric guitars, pedal steel, some nice touches here and there, some little nice details all over the album.

Nowadays, i feel that David had found his confort zone: Piano, acoustic guitars, some harp, simple arrangements and thats all. Just David, his partner Harry for the solo guitar parts, Ditchmann on drums (love is style) and a bassist. Simple, but too simple. Minimalistic, but too minimalistic. Zero surprises. Sadly, i feel that that is a pity because Heartlands and Grace had several good songs that could have become much better with a proper effort (and a bigger budget). I can not handle this minimalistic lame way, where all songs sounds like a demo. Some songs really deserve better treatment.

Don´t get me wrong. I liked Heartlands and i love David´s music, but like everyone, i would prefer other directions. Washington Decides, Easter Rising, Siren Sunsets, Midnight Shaker, etc. The boy got it. Seems like a good record. Also, it´s always good news to have another album on the table. Over the years, i realized that DK music is not too different from MK music, despite of the huge difference of talent (and budget again).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:19:55 PM by enrkaton82 »
And we have just one world...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 38 queries.