Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #73 DTRW TOUR - Sep 06 2019 -Smart Financial Centre, Sugar Land, TX, US  (Read 11217 times)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
I actually don't mind the middle part of the set, in fact I really enjoy all of those songs mentioned, BUT, there is far too much talking and I have removed most of it from my downloads!    ;)

I love that part of the set. Actually thats the kind of concerts from MK I'd like to see in the future. Small venue and his more intimate stuff. Something like Boothbay concert.

Totally agree with this. I have really enjoyed the smaller intimate gigs with The Master in the past...

I love those. Actually the most I play at home is just him, acoustic with a guitar or a few band members. Boothbay e.g.... I would pay so much just to see him two hours with 1 acoustic guitar..
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
I actually don't mind the middle part of the set, in fact I really enjoy all of those songs mentioned, BUT, there is far too much talking and I have removed most of it from my downloads!    ;)

I love that part of the set. Actually thats the kind of concerts from MK I'd like to see in the future. Small venue and his more intimate stuff. Something like Boothbay concert.

Totally agree with this. I have really enjoyed the smaller intimate gigs with The Master in the past...

In fact, I hope this is the direction MK's musical career will take in the coming years.

I expect it will indeed the way he plays in the future Superval... :wave
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
The place where MK had played this concert makes me remember about this:

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
I would pay so much just to see him two hours with 1 acoustic guitar..

Not for my taste.

Would prefer a small venue with a 5 piece band swingin' and rockin'.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

In fact, I hope this is the direction MK's musical career will take in the coming years.

I'm not so sure. I think he feels and acts nervous these days hence the need for a larger backing band he's familiar with and can be confident in.  For him to stand there with only a few other members and himself more in the spotlight is something I think he would dread now, almost as much as a live TV appearance.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
is it even easier to play an acoustic guitar than an electric if you've having some physical problems? I mean, an acoustic is bigger and bulkier.

I don't play (wish I did), so I don't know :)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
is it even easier to play an acoustic guitar than an electric if you've having some physical problems? I mean, an acoustic is bigger and bulkier.

I don't play (wish I did), so I don't know :)

It depends. I think it is. The way Mark plays I think it is easier to play an acoustic. The subtile playing he does offers little room for mistakes since a wrong note or just a minor fault will result in a wrong sound. I as a guitar player find that when I play acoustic my room for tiny mistakes is a bit bigger. But that's when I speak for myself. It depends on the person, I know there are people who will not agree.  :)
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

I'm not so sure. I think he feels and acts nervous these days hence the need for a larger backing band he's familiar with and can be confident in.  For him to stand there with only a few other members and himself more in the spotlight is something I think he would dread now, almost as much as a live TV appearance.

I hear what you are saying but funnily enough from experience he never came across as nervous at either Hay on Wye, Chalke Valley or Bridport....

He seemed to relax and enjoy each occasion
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

I hear what you are saying but funnily enough from experience he never came across as nervous at either Hay on Wye, Chalke Valley or Bridport....

I was thinking of something similar to the band used for promos and playing songs such as those in the middle part of this set - the more intimate type of songs.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo

I doubt Mark has been nervous onstage for many many years, it's just the way he is, it's his demeanor, mannerisms, character etc.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

I doubt Mark has been nervous onstage for many many years, it's just the way he is, it's his demeanor, mannerisms, character etc.

I personally don't think he's nearly as confident in himself or in his playing as he used to be.  He keeps looking at his fretboard for where to put his fingers when he used to play with his eyes closed.  Also, on songs like YLT and OES he struggles to play the licks while singing at the same time; back in 1991-92 this wasn't an issue.  In my mind he's definitely not as comfortable on stage these days.

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
He even wrote a song about it where he admits he's just a pale imitation of his younger self. At least that's my take on it.

I don't think I ever became half the man
That I used to be
The warrior captain
The bold pirate king of the sea
Nobody does me like I do
Or that's what they say to me
But I'm a pale imitation
I've been keeping my secret safe with me

He may no longer be a bold pirate (of guitar playing) but he still is the king of the sea in my books. :)
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
He even wrote a song about it where he admits he's just a pale imitation of his younger self. At least that's my take on it.

That I used to be
The warrior captain
Nobody does me like I do
But I'm a pale imitation

He may no longer be a bold pirate (of guitar playing) but he still is the king of the sea in my books. :)

I had assumed that to be a "pale imitation" of one of his heroes like Chet, but of his younger self?  That is an interesting interpretation, especially considering the last line.  :think

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger

That I used to be
The warrior captain
Nobody does me like I do
But I'm a pale imitation

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
Always interpretated this song as being about what is left of him nowadays compared to his younger self, never even thought about it possibly being meant in another way. This makes it a deeply personal and revealing song to me, very emotional and beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:17:42 PM by mschaap »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 36 queries.