Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Golden Heart tour - which is the best bootleg?  (Read 7002 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Golden Heart tour - which is the best bootleg?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »
Yeah, so my point was that Mark played superb guitar in 96, and after checking some STP shows, I feel there was a slight decline. But after the accident in 2003, from the 2005 tour onwards, I think his playing got noticeably worse. Gone was the fluidity and dexterity and fire in his playing. It was of course never terrible, but some songs such as Sultans simply became a meandering mess, to my ears at least.

There is the ageing process and his giving priority to songwriting over guitar playing (i.e. lack of practice), of course, but I'm curious how much the accident contributed to this.

I would absolutely agree with what you say here.  I seem to remember him saying that the accident resulted in him not being able to hold an acoustic guitar (which he uses for practicing).  Perhaps he just never got back into the routine of practicing again.  Since then he has always sounded sloppy to me until well into the tours.

The StP tour was the last great tour IMO (which was a slight step down) with only TR to recommend the SL tour of 2005.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
Just out of interest, have you attended any of the concerts on this tour?   :)

No, I haven't. On purpose. I was so-so satisfied with the Tracker show I attended, and I didn't expect him to get any better as he got older, so I passed. Now I wish I had gone to hear at least Once Upon a Time and Bacon Roll and to experience the new sound system, but the rest of the show has left me cold (listening to several downloads and YT clips). And, honestly, seeing him frail and old like this is pretty sad. He's the same age as my parents, and the sense I have that they are withering away also applies to Mark. I want to keep as many good memories of him as I can. If that makes any sense.

Mark is definitely not withering away!    Of course he looks older than he did in 2015 and his health doesn't seem to be 100%, but he was great in the concerts and I loved all of the ones I attended - so did the audiences btw, especially Verona!   ;D  I'm not withering away either and I'm a good few years older than MK!   :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »

No, I haven't. On purpose. I was so-so satisfied with the Tracker show I attended, and I didn't expect him to get any better as he got older, so I passed. Now I wish I had gone to hear at least Once Upon a Time and Bacon Roll and to experience the new sound system, but the rest of the show has left me cold (listening to several downloads and YT clips). And, honestly, seeing him frail and old like this is pretty sad. He's the same age as my parents, and the sense I have that they are withering away also applies to Mark. I want to keep as many good memories of him as I can. If that makes any sense.

Mark is definitely not withering away!    Of course he looks older than he did in 2015 and his health doesn't seem to be 100%, but he was great in the concerts and I loved all of the ones I attended - so did the audiences btw, especially Verona!   ;D  I'm not withering away either and I'm a good few years older than MK!   :lol

OK, "withering away" was the wrong choice of words. "Time taking its toll" perhaps? :)

I'm happy you had a good experience. I'm still happy about my choice. And I'm thankful that there are plenty of videos and recordings that document the various periods of Mark's career and make it possible to relive the many great moments.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 12:27:38 PM »

OK, "withering away" was the wrong choice of words. "Time taking its toll" perhaps? :)

I'm happy you had a good experience. I'm still happy about my choice. And I'm thankful that there are plenty of videos and recordings that document the various periods of Mark's career and make it possible to relive the many great moments.

I was very glad to have been at all of the concerts I have attended over the years and there have been lots of stand-out ones which I will always remember, but I'm happy to move forward with Mark as he adjusts to the kind of music he is capable of now.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »
Yeah, so my point was that Mark played superb guitar in 96, and after checking some STP shows, I feel there was a slight decline. But after the accident in 2003, from the 2005 tour onwards, I think his playing got noticeably worse. Gone was the fluidity and dexterity and fire in his playing. It was of course never terrible, but some songs such as Sultans simply became a meandering mess, to my ears at least.

There is the ageing process and his giving priority to songwriting over guitar playing (i.e. lack of practice), of course, but I'm curious how much the accident contributed to this.

Sultans "a meandering mess"?    Some of the 2010 concerts had wonderful Sultans.  Have you listened to Manchester and Brighton from 2010?    TR is great, too, from many of the 2010 concerts.
Yeah, considering his back ache this year, Paris 2010 has exceptional TR (albeit the karaoke mode instead of the first solo). The end solo is almost on par with 2005.
True, 1996 playing was exceptional, but the setlist didn't have yet his best solo songs (WII, SAN, STP, HFB, WAM,...)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 12:24:07 AM »
Vaison 96 is outstanding
Tales of the Heart is a short 1cd set but great sound

Wolverhampton 96 has terrible sound but a really great show !

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 39 queries.