Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy: "we have moved a long way since then"  (Read 6154 times)

hunter

Guy: "we have moved a long way since then"
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
This was Guy's response to a comment about the Barcelona and Madrid shows.

What does he mean, you think?

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
Re: Guy: "we have moved a long way since then"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 04:35:22 PM »
I think he's talking about the arrangements, the songs evolve as the dates go by.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

hunter

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »
Right.

So for those of you who compare these things, how different is the show now than early on in the tour? Apart from shorter, of course  :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »
Someone should tell him they should've been better prepared for the start of the tour then because I can't imagine the people attending these early shows are happy to hear that.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:15:28 PM »
Someone should tell him they should've been better prepared for the start of the tour then because I can't imagine the people attending these early shows are happy to hear that.

Nah... Too much to ask. Four months of full production rehearsals? Seems unachievable - for any artist.

But if you want to tell him anyway you can reach him on his forum:

http://guyfletcher.co.uk/dr-fletch-questions/
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »

The start of the tour was enjoyable so why complain?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 09:41:13 PM »
The question had a pretty emotional background and Guy's answer somewhat did not fit to it, having a quite harsh tone somehow. So here is my conspiracy theory that Guy was in a hurry and probably did not read the question properly and completely...

It's not unusual but pretty normal that the songs evolve during the tour. People at the first shows get longer shows with more songs as a compensation so I guess the band is very much aware of it and maybe that's where they find the joy in playing the same set every night - in exploring the songs for new night after night.

LE
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:48:32 PM by Love Expresso »

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 09:46:27 PM »

The start of the tour was enjoyable so why complain?

Exactly. Music evolves naturally when performed over months like on such a tour, it's got nothing to do with being 'under prepared'...

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »
If you play the exact same songs every single night for months, of course it's gonna sound better!

Is it entertaining after all this time? Well...

They sure haven't moved a long way from the comfort zone.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:22:33 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

hunter

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 10:50:49 PM »
They've come a long way by removing several fun songs, not replacing them with anything, but simply made the setlist shorter and stuck with it. That I think is rather ridiculous, to be honest.

That the arrangements evolve is just natural; how else can they remain sane after all this time?

I have to say, following this tour, on AMIT, on YouTube, reading the diaries, has been pretty underwhelming. I was super excited when it started, especially hearing Once Upon a Time, but that the show would settle on what it has become now is pretty unimpressive.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 11:09:57 PM »

Guy tries so hard to give the illusion of "looking forward only" it reminds me of people saying BS like "each day I live is better than the previous one". This is ridiculous and plain impossible, everybody knows that life has a sine wave behaviour—one day is great, the other one not so much. So the very first show of the tour could be great and you could have a massive lack of motivation on the very last show, so every show (or day) is pretty equal in that respect.

Guy has similar behaviour towards previous albums, too, making you almost feel bad listening to the "old stuff" while masters up there constantly in the making of new music and looking forward only. Why not to play all the songs from the new album then? Why even bother playing "old stuff"? Ahh, because people want it! :disbelief Guy's rhetoric always makes me sick.

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 11:55:50 PM »
Guy, with the passage of time, from Cal until now, has succeeded, and perhaps deserved, I don't know, the total trust of Mark, passing from collaborator before, component Straits up to even co-producer, engineer and supervisor of the concert.
This is to say that he is really a co-pilot, he even goes so far as to criticize a  little bit even Mark, for not having gone to the Hall of Fame ceremony. Sometimes, maybe I'm wrong, I also see a desire for overexposure on his part, as if to say 'boys and girls it's me and Mark'.
Ok I know I'm talking about a fantastic keyboard player for what I've seen him do over the years and maybe, it's not my field, also a fantastic engineer and producer, given how much I liked Tracker above all, and also the last one.
Perhaps the thing that doesn't appeal to me is the fact that the "Geordie Man" has given too much free hand to others on things that I think he had totally in hand before.
Maybe he got tired, maybe he no longer had the desire he had before, maybe he can't do what he did before.
I always remain of the opinion that to Mark I should only say “thank you” for all he has done and is still doing ..
but I would like more more  Mark  8).......... than the others…..
 :wave
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:04:45 AM by straitsway75 »

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 12:32:32 AM »
I loved both of the concerts I visited. Probably due to the usual impact of being there live. And the new arrangements and new songs etc. However...

Other tours have left me more excited and keen on following any changes in setlists or reading the diaries more thoroughly. It was a good run for a while but when the setlist turned out to be a set list and the concert sounded more or less the same, then I got tired. You have to listen hard to hear the nuances. Which is fun, for a while. You know what else is fun? Silvertown blues. Yet it disappeared like a Gin and tonic onboard an MK tour private jet.

Since June the most exciting news has been Danny singing and Pensa throwing yet another drool worthy guitar after MK.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 07:51:25 AM »

I have to say, following this tour, on AMIT, on YouTube, reading the diaries, has been pretty underwhelming. I was super excited when it started, especially hearing Once Upon a Time, but that the show would settle on what it has become now is pretty unimpressive.

It isn't possible to have a true impression of the concerts if you haven't attended any of them!    Nothing is as exciting as being there and watching it all happen in front of you.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 08:13:57 AM »
Fair enough.

But if I had tickets to a US show and took a look at some of the earlier, I'd have been truly disappointed. Even felt shortchanged.

My point is, what is this "long way" Guy is talking about?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 46 queries.