Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Do we really want another tour?  (Read 22952 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Do we really want another tour?
« on: September 25, 2019, 02:01:31 PM »
Taking aside meeting up with friends do we really want another tour with an older Mark?  I've been think about the setlist from this tour and the arrangements and the fact any future tour will have even less guitar playing (if possible)!  Of course I'd go but would I want him to tour and ruin his reputation or even just not enjoy the show personally?  I'd love a setlist with ToL, TR and Sultans but that's never going to happen now.  The setlist is currently very tame.

I don't think I could stand a setlist like this one again to be honest.  Apart from MFN there was nothing really exciting in it at all.  WAM was nice but Mark didn’t want to play any more than 5 second passages during the coda (same as West).  If I hear CBC one more time I’ll scream.  Granted, Philadelphia was well performed this tour but not an exciting song.  West had potential but was ultimately underwhelming. R&J has a shorter and poorly performed final solo, weak vocals and with the famous National missing sounded all wrong.  Bacon Roll is okay until the vocals end then you wonder if the song will ever end because you feel uncomfortable not knowing whether to clap or not if people around you are/aren’t.  A few fillers to give him a seat at this point although Bonaparte is always nice at the show IMO.  YLT is embarrassingly tame compared to the studio version.   The novelty of Postcards wears thin after a few listens and his vocal on this is rather appropriately “posted in”.  OES became better as his playing became sharper - great song.  Same applies for Speedway except it isn’t a great song and has become boring.  Not a closer and people weren’t sure to give an ovation or not until he removed the guitar and waved goodbye; clear sign it isn’t a strong enough song to be a closer.  Piper had zero lead guitar this tour - eh?  What’s going on?  Sax, trumpets and all sorts with Mark backing them up virtually inaudibly.  BIA was well done this tour and should’ve been played every show.  Going Home - it’s a Strat song.

Any future tour isn't going to be "better" in terms of the songs that made the man or that play to his strengths.  You can probably forget about BIA and Speedway next time too.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Do we really want another tour?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »
Honestly, I would love a show with songs like "Heart full of holes" or "Matchstick man" kind of songs instead of "Telegraphs", "Tunnels" or "Sultans", but it has to be done in proper venues for that kind of sets...

His playing is not going to improve by obvious reasons so I won't expect anything better, in terms of going back in time. He would never play TR or SOS better than he already did the pasts tours, or not even close, that's why he dropped them, so I will take the MK solo artist, that has plenty of good songs, not needing DS songs at all.

So, yes, I want another tour, but I don't mind having a week at the RAH like Clapton does (well, he does between 3 and 5 concerts).
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »
Honestly, I would love a show with songs like "Heart full of holes" or "Matchstick man" kind of songs instead of "Telegraphs", "Tunnels" or "Sultans", but it has to be done in proper venues for that kind of sets...

His playing is not going to improve by obvious reasons so I won't expect anything better, in terms of going back in time. He would never play TR or SOS better than he already did the pasts tours, or not even close, that's why he dropped them, so I will take the MK solo artist, that has plenty of good songs, not needing DS songs at all.

So, yes, I want another tour, but I don't mind having a week at the RAH like Clapton does (well, he does between 3 and 5 concerts).
Kinda agree

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 02:21:39 PM »

That would send me to sleep.  Mark cannot sustain a show of songs like that as he does not have a voice.  These are filler songs so that he can have a rest and a seat.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 02:25:19 PM »

That would send me to sleep.  Mark cannot sustain a show of songs like that as he does not have a voice.  These are filler songs so that he can have a rest and a seat.
As mentioned, depends on the venue, and the band, and yes, the right songs

hunter

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
Mark will never be able to play like he "used to could", so songs with fast, extended solos are not realistic. That said, with better preparation and more practice, there are plenty of songs that don't require that level of soloing, but still has fire and energy. Look at the song he wrote for the Bill Wyman show, for instance. Fun and hot! It's not Sultans level, but it still rocks. The question is, is Mark even interested in putting in the effort to be at that level? I'm sure he can if he wants to, but the older he gets, the bigger the effort is going to be.

A tour with a similar setlist to the current one, only maybe slower, and with an older, weaker Mark? Thanks, but no thanks. I prefer to cherish the good memories.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »

I would love a show with the kind of songs from the middle part of the set list.  That was the part that I really looked forward to hearing and I didn't find it boring in the least.  I loved My Bacon Roll, especially the long outro, also Matchstick Man, HFOH and YLT was great too.  I am tired of WAM and CBC, but I thought STP was stunning in most cases and I still love R&J!   Also I do think MK has a voice, a really lovely voice, especially for this type of song.

These kind of songs need to be heard in an intimate venue, so that's what I would like if MK tours again.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:19:36 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 03:22:30 PM »

I never thought I would agree with you  ;) :) Is his playing getting faster? no. I honestly don't understand why people are still waiting for that. Does he still have BEAUTIFUL, great preformed songs? Yes.

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 03:27:12 PM »
yes I would like another tour simply to discover the arrangements of the new songs after the release of a new album.
Mark's genius is in there, never playing the same thing as in the studio, now, whether he plays guitar solos or not, I think we know that Mark no longer wants to be catalogued as a virtuoso guitarist but as an author/composer/story teller which gives me a new perspective and another way to see him.

It's true that I still have goosbumps when he throws a little solo here and there, but I understood that we had to respect our hero's choice. The set list has been changed for this tour and it suits me, I would have liked him to play Silveretown blues and Brothers in arms more often, but for me, the overall result of this tour is very positive, I think Mark didn't expect to be so acclaimed after all these years, he found that he still has many fans and in every way, releasing an album is expensive and it doesn't pay the bills so I still wait for him on the road with great pleasure lol ... I want to go bananas !

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:30:00 PM by kaleo74 »
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 03:34:11 PM »
yes I would like another tour simply to discover the arrangements of the new songs after the release of a new album.
Mark's genius is in there, never playing the same thing as in the studio, now, whether he plays guitar solos or not, I think we know that Mark no longer wants to be catalogued as a virtuoso guitarist but as an author/composer/story teller which gives me a new perspective and another way to see him.

It's true that I still have goosbumps when he throws a little solo here and there, but I understood that we had to respect our hero's choice. The set list has been changed for this tour and it suits me, I would have liked him to play Silveretown blues and Brothers in arms more often, but for me, the overall result of this tour is very positive, I think Mark didn't expect to be so acclaimed after all these years, he found that he still has many fans and in every way, releasing an album is expensive and it doesn't pay the bills so I still wait for him on the road with great pleasure lol ... I want to go bananas !
Too bad Ou normally only get one or two songs from the new record

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 05:09:46 PM »
Going Home - it’s a Strat song.

well, you say that because we all have Alchemy in mind, but don't forget that on the original studio version, although it's the schecter strat, it has a full overdrived sound, while the intro is likely on acoustic
so on live versions, he had to choose : clean sound to fit the first part of the song, or heavy saturated sound to fit the second part, like he did in 96
I think that both choices are relevant

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 05:13:31 PM »

well, you say that because we all have Alchemy in mind, but don't forget that on the original studio version, although it's the schecter strat, it has a full overdrived sound, while the intro is likely on acoustic
so on live versions, he had to choose : clean sound to fit the first part of the song, or heavy saturated sound to fit the second part, like he did in 96

Of course, and the first part sounds almost amateurish and clumsy played on the LP.  Played on the Strat you get a real Knopfler sound and then turn it up for the finale.  Of course the Schecter Strat would be my preference but these guitars have had their day as far as Mark is concerned I think.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »

Of course, and the first part sounds almost amateurish and clumsy played on the LP.  Played on the Strat you get a real Knopfler sound and then turn it up for the finale.  Of course the Schecter Strat would be my preference but these guitars have had their day as far as Mark is concerned I think.

Well my point is not really about guitar models, but more about tone, whatever guitar he uses

on Alchemy for example, the outro  don't have the heavy sound like on studio version, and it lacks a little power imho

I must admit I like both : alchemy style for the stratish sound, and also 96 versions, for the song outro, with the LP which sounds great imho, it has more power than the strat, and it is closer to the spirit of the original version (although not the same guitar)
The "good" choice would have been a strat, but with an overdrive stompbox for the second part, like he did on Boom like that in 2005, but the man has neve been a stompbox man

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »
From reading on this forum during the last year it is clear to me that people have very different opinions (naturally) about Mark´s performance on this tour. Some of you seem to be disappointed about what you see and hear, and while that is completely fine, it does not necessarily mean that Mark has changed or gotten old – the changes could be in you. True love will never fade for sure, but one must be honest and say that passion may fade over time. So, if you don´t longer get the kick, the feelings or whatever you are looking for at Mark´s shows, I don´t think it is fair to only point the finger at him. Time moves on for all of us, and you may have changed too. The fact that Mark´s shows doesn’t give you what it used to do doesn’t mean that it’s not there. You may just don’t see it anymore… I am one of the lucky ones, though. I still see it. So yes, I want another tour.
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 08:57:40 PM »
From reading on this forum during the last year it is clear to me that people have very different opinions (naturally) about Mark´s performance on this tour. Some of you seem to be disappointed about what you see and hear, and while that is completely fine, it does not necessarily mean that Mark has changed or gotten old – the changes could be in you. True love will never fade for sure, but one must be honest and say that passion may fade over time. So, if you don´t longer get the kick, the feelings or whatever you are looking for at Mark´s shows, I don´t think it is fair to only point the finger at him. Time moves on for all of us, and you may have changed too. The fact that Mark´s shows doesn’t give you what it used to do doesn’t mean that it’s not there. You may just don’t see it anymore… I am one of the lucky ones, though. I still see it. So yes, I want another tour.

Agree 100%, we must have changed too, the passion is still alive but just like you, I moved on but I'm still a strong promoter of the Knopflerism  :)
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 38 queries.