Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Box set time  (Read 18331 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Box set time
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 07:43:43 PM »
Guy said "I don’t know what exactly but I’m sure the label are keen to please.". Please alright, please their wallets :lol

On The Night begs to be re-released, but I'm afraid is not possible, because all the masters are probably gone and I've heard it was messy anyway.

From what I heard it was something like Mark's USB recordings of recent shows in the sense it wasn't an extremely professional recording. But I'd want to be wrong.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 01:15:37 PM »
They recorded more than 20 shows of the On Every Street tour, they can do whatever they want
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 01:47:13 PM »
They recorded more than 20 shows of the On Every Street tour, they can do whatever they want

If they only wanted, they could do great things...

Just imagine a "dire straits 40th anniversary edition"... they could had release it with plenty of bonus, like the honky tonk demos, the rest of demos including unreleased songs like "real girl" or "eastbound train", the London Paris Theatre concert, the Rotterdam 78 concert, the Paris Chorus tv dvd... That only with material we know exists, it's so likely that exists more than we don't know...

They could release any single DS cd with tons of great material...

But they don´t give a damn about it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 02:03:40 PM »

Just imagine a "dire straits 40th anniversary edition"... they could had release it with plenty of bonus, like the honky tonk demos, the rest of demos including unreleased songs like "real girl" or "eastbound train", the London Paris Theatre concert, the Rotterdam 78 concert, the Paris Chorus tv dvd... That only with material we know exists, it's so likely that exists more than we don't know...

And demo's....

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 02:07:01 PM »

And demo's....

Like the ones I mentioned?  ;D :lol
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 02:09:48 PM »

And demo's....

Like the ones I mentioned?  ;D
My bad, lol

hunter

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
I honestly don't think there is a market for this.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »

In Europe there is!
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 10:59:36 PM »

Why not?
Granted the complete and utter (sales) failure of DTRW won't have helped but we are talking about one of the most successful bands of all time.
It wouldn't surprise me if they tried with BIA first and see how well that does before deciding on any other releases.
However they have had many opportunities to do this and the fact it wasn't done around the Hall Of Fame induction means we might well be kept waiting and waiting :thumbsdown
The fact that the major money spinner for MK(touring)is now finished(permanently?) his accountants and manager will surely advise him that this would be a fairly easy way to supplement his meagre pension :lol

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 11:18:02 PM »

Why not?
Granted the complete and utter (sales) failure of DTRW won't have helped but we are talking about one of the most successful bands of all time.
It wouldn't surprise me if they tried with BIA first and see how well that does before deciding on any other releases.
However they have had many opportunities to do this and the fact it wasn't done around the Hall Of Fame induction means we might well be kept waiting and waiting :thumbsdown
The fact that the major money spinner for MK(touring)is now finished(permanently?) his accountants and manager will surely advise him that this would be a fairly easy way to supplement his meagre pension :lol

Physical media makes next to zero money in the industry these days.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 11:20:55 PM »

Why not?
The fact that the major money spinner for MK(touring)is now finished(permanently?) his accountants and manager will surely advise him that this would be a fairly easy way to supplement his meagre pension

Xcept for the limited edition boxes, if made well. See the later years for pink Floyd, costs an arm and a leg, bit you can bet the will sell every single copy, as it is exceptionally well made

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 12:09:54 AM »

Why not?
The fact that the major money spinner for MK(touring)is now finished(permanently?) his accountants and manager will surely advise him that this would be a fairly easy way to supplement his meagre pension

Xcept for the limited edition boxes, if made well. See the later years for pink Floyd, costs an arm and a leg, bit you can bet the will sell every single copy, as it is exceptionally well made

Even those won't sell in large volumes enough to make any significant money, that was the original point I was replying to, the idea that Mark should release such things to make money.  Your average recording artist will get 15% per physical sale If costs are recovered.

Sell a million CDs and make 130k before the tax man gets his slice. Puts the demise of physical media into perspective really. You could have a certified platinum album and barely cover your mortgage!

The percentage figures for a box sets are probably slightly better given the lack of overheads but show me a single example where an artist has sold a box set in high volumes? They're a luxury item.

Gone are the days of making a living from recorded music.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 12:34:33 AM »

Why not?

Even those won't sell in large volumes enough to make any significant money, that was the original point I was replying to, the idea that Mark should release such things to make money.  Your average recording artist will get 15% per physical sale If costs are recovered.

Sell a million CDs and make 130k before the tax man gets his slice. Puts the demise of physical media into perspective really. You could have a certified platinum album and barely cover your mortgage!

The percentage figures for a box sets are probably slightly better given the lack of overheads but show me a single example where an artist has sold a box set in high volumes? They're a luxury item.

Pink Floyd .....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2019, 01:05:35 AM »

Why not?

Pink Floyd .....

Nope, biggest selling Floyd box set barely shipped 250k units. The artist would have made pennies.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2019, 01:34:15 AM »

Why not?

Pink Floyd .....

Nope, biggest selling Floyd box set barely shipped 250k units. The artist would have made pennies.
At those prices though...anyways, where did you get that info?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 40 queries.