Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Box set time  (Read 18291 times)

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
Re: Box set time
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2019, 07:10:35 AM »
And since these possible and what would have been great material will probably never see the light, it's good that the fans made/are making the efforts still to record shows to enjoy. Although they release the soundboard in recent years, it was not the same before...

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2019, 09:18:22 AM »
I think a box set would do very well, even more so if they include really rare and unheard stuff. Bob Dylan's bootleg series box set continues to be released in physical form, and has been stated the Pink Floyd box sets are great, and the fans are buying them. The other thing is that Mark would have never released anything like this before, so it would be big news, and he has many unreleased songs that fans are dying to hear, and lots of live stuff that could be also released. It could be great, we just have to hope whoever works on it does their research, it would be best to have someone like Guy involved as he has been the one constant for the majority of Mark's career, plus John Illsley could be involved for the early Dire Straits era.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »
I think a box set would do very well, even more so if they include really rare and unheard stuff. Bob Dylan's bootleg series box set continues to be released in physical form, and has been stated the Pink Floyd box sets are great, and the fans are buying them. The other thing is that Mark would have never released anything like this before, so it would be big news, and he has many unreleased songs that fans are dying to hear, and lots of live stuff that could be also released. It could be great, we just have to hope whoever works on it does their research, it would be best to have someone like Guy involved as he has been the one constant for the majority of Mark's career, plus John Illsley could be involved for the early Dire Straits era.

:thumbsup    I'd love one!   :P
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
I honestly don't think there is a market for this.

Why not?
Granted the complete and utter (sales) failure of DTRW won't have helped but we are talking about one of the most successful bands of all time.
It wouldn't surprise me if they tried with BIA first and see how well that does before deciding on any other releases.
However they have had many opportunities to do this and the fact it wasn't done around the Hall Of Fame induction means we might well be kept waiting and waiting :thumbsdown
The fact that the major money spinner for MK(touring)is now finished(permanently?) his accountants and manager will surely advise him that this would be a fairly easy way to supplement his meagre pension

Physical media makes next to zero money in the industry these days.
Xcept for the limited edition boxes, if made well. See the later years for pink Floyd, costs an arm and a leg, bit you can bet the will sell every single copy, as it is exceptionally well made

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

Even those won't sell in large volumes enough to make any significant money, that was the original point I was replying to, the idea that Mark should release such things to make money.  Your average recording artist will get 15% per physical sale If costs are recovered.

Sell a million CDs and make 130k before the tax man gets his slice. Puts the demise of physical media into perspective really. You could have a certified platinum album and barely cover your mortgage!

The percentage figures for a box sets are probably slightly better given the lack of overheads but show me a single example where an artist has sold a box set in high volumes? They're a luxury item.

Gone are the days of making a living from recorded music.
Pink Floyd .....

Nope, biggest selling Floyd box set barely shipped 250k units. The artist would have made pennies.
At those prices though...anyways, where did you get that info?

From sadly digging through internet forums, RIAA, reading various articles, and largely the accumulation over many years of useless trivia, all stored in my addled attic of a brain. I suppose it's akin to MKs 'junkyard'. Certainly, running a recording studio and teaching music leads you to remember some pretty useless things  ;D

Another thing to take into account with box sets is that certification is calculated not by the number of boxes sold but by the number of disks inside! So a million certified sales of a 10 disk set, really means only 10000 boxes sold (that's for any release post 1992)

This had all got rather complicated  :) when all I really meant to illustrate was that the motivation for anyone releasing a box set is definitely not money. More to do with legacy, of as some have already stated, pleasing the fans.

hunter

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »
I really meant to illustrate was that the motivation for anyone releasing a box set is definitely not money. More to do with legacy, of as some have already stated, pleasing the fans.

Which is pretty low on Mark's list of priorities.

And when I said I doubt there's a market for this stuff, the point was that even though DS were huge, they were never Beatles, Stones or Pink Floyd huge.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2019, 11:14:02 AM »

Why not?
Granted the complete and utter (sales) failure of DTRW won't have helped but we are talking about one of the most successful bands of all time.
It wouldn't surprise me if they tried with BIA first and see how well that does before deciding on any other releases.
However they have had many opportunities to do this and the fact it wasn't done around the Hall Of Fame induction means we might well be kept waiting and waiting :thumbsdown
The fact that the major money spinner for MK(touring)is now finished(permanently?) his accountants and manager will surely advise him that this would be a fairly easy way to supplement his meagre pension

Xcept for the limited edition boxes, if made well. See the later years for pink Floyd, costs an arm and a leg, bit you can bet the will sell every single copy, as it is exceptionally well made

Even those won't sell in large volumes enough to make any significant money, that was the original point I was replying to, the idea that Mark should release such things to make money.  Your average recording artist will get 15% per physical sale If costs are recovered.

Sell a million CDs and make 130k before the tax man gets his slice. Puts the demise of physical media into perspective really. You could have a certified platinum album and barely cover your mortgage!

The percentage figures for a box sets are probably slightly better given the lack of overheads but show me a single example where an artist has sold a box set in high volumes? They're a luxury item.

Pink Floyd .....

Nope, biggest selling Floyd box set barely shipped 250k units. The artist would have made pennies.

From sadly digging through internet forums, RIAA, reading various articles, and largely the accumulation over many years of useless trivia, all stored in my addled attic of a brain. I suppose it's akin to MKs 'junkyard'. Certainly, running a recording studio and teaching music leads you to remember some pretty useless things  ;D

Another thing to take into account with box sets is that certification is calculated not by the number of boxes sold but by the number of disks inside! So a million certified sales of a 10 disk set, really means only 10000 boxes sold (that's for any release post 1992)

This had all got rather complicated  :) when all I really meant to illustrate was that the motivation for anyone releasing a box set is definitely not money. More to do with legacy, of as some have already stated, pleasing the fans.
Interesting
Going to dig deeper into this

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2019, 01:03:33 PM »

Agree with this.  I think there would be a market for it if there was a high proportion of DS material and marketed as such.  DS still seem to be popular and well loved on the internet reading comments, even from younger audiences who are discovering the music browsing YouTube etc.  The die hards would be interested no matter what music is on it!

Die hards fans, such as our good selves, will purchase expensive box sets if they contain unreleased material such as missing OTN songs or Wembley 85 videos.  We would pay very good money for a box set containing the complete Wembley 85 and missing OTN plus extras including PONO (and they did record the rehearsal in Rotterdam '91?).

Think Mark is interested in making big money?  He would promote his albums in that case.  Virtually zero promotion may account for poor sales of the last album but a box set is a niche item anyway; the casual and curious will not buy it.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »
I think the market for a BIA box or OTN box or even better both together in 1 box is absolutely large
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »

Why not?

Pink Floyd .....

Interesting
Going to dig deeper into this

It it interesting, either that or we've both become musical nerds  ;D

Did you find out anything else?

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2019, 06:21:18 PM »
I think the market for a BIA box or OTN box or even better both together in 1 box is absolutely large

There is no large market for OTN box set.
Of all DS albums this would easily sell the fewest in box set form.
Alchemy sold over 5 million internationally while OTN hasn't managed 1 million,so if they release a live box set Alchemy would make more sense(yes please to that.)
Why should it be bundled with BIA?Surely it should be bundled with OES?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2019, 07:07:38 PM »

There is no large market for OTN box set.
Of all DS albums this would easily sell the fewest in box set form.
Alchemy sold over 5 million internationally while OTN hasn't managed 1 million,so if they release a live box set Alchemy would make more sense(yes please to that.)
Why should it be bundled with BIA?Surely it should be bundled with OES?

Any potential box set would need to include songs from at least both BIA and OES tours as well as other rarities to make it worthwhile anyway or it would just be a single CD, so it's a moot point.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:11:28 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »
From my point of interest of course OTN augmented and extended IS the one I am waiting for.
In second place an OLT box.
Third and probably the best commercial potential, BIA 85/86 box and the full Mandela show and a rockband edition from that concert with isolated tracks.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OnlineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 08:03:51 PM »
When they were releasing Alchemy remastered a couple years ago i was hoping they would release it with the missing songs. When they didn’t do that i was pretty sure there is zero interrest by MK or management to do it properly. Although i really hope for a box with outtakes, demo’s or live stuff i never expect one

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2019, 12:35:14 AM »
Ed has sold his shares in DS so I doubt he would be involved in anything related to DS.

Mark is focused on his own career and has probably right to veto anything unreleased to be put out by his record company.

Funnily almost everything issued on vinyle has been relelsead in CD format, SOS single version and Eastbound Train excepted!

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2019, 01:30:41 PM »
From my point of interest of course OTN augmented and extended IS the one I am waiting for.
In second place an OLT box.
Third and probably the best commercial potential, BIA 85/86 box and the full Mandela show and a rockband edition from that concert with isolated tracks.

yes full OTN is by far the most interesting

do we have a list of all the unreleased songs from that tour ?

A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.