Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Here are the exacts venues for On the Night Record  (Read 7250 times)

OfflineTerry01

• Camerado
Here are the exacts venues for On the Night Record
« on: November 26, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
I recently start to listen attently the audience records from Rotterdam and Nimes nights, and i discovered the exacts venues of all songs that appears in the "On the night" record
The songs marked with "??" its because dont match with none of the versions of thats nights, so  probably come from the Rotterdam concert on 1st June  (didnt exist audience record of that night, i think).
Hope that info likes us  :lol

Calling Elvis ??
Walk of life - Rotterdam 30.05
Heavy fuel Nimes - 20.05
Romeo and Juliet - Nimes 20.05
The bug - Nimes 20.05
Private investigations - Nimes 21.05
Your latest trick ??
On every street - Nimes 21.05
You and your friend - Rotterdam 31.05
Money for nothing - Rotterdam 31.05
Brothers in arms - Rotterdam 31.05
Solid rock Rotterdam 31.05
Wild theme ??

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Here are the exacts venues for On the Night Record
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:45:24 AM »
Check this:

http://www.neck-and-neck.homepage.t-online.de/dsis/9308/aug_93.htm

"ON THE NIGHT" - WHICH TRACKS WERE RECORDED WHERE Lots of you have asked this question. I do have a list (below) which we think is correct. The problem lies in the fact that as soon as the tour was over, all the versions of the same song were put together on one tape, and so on for each song. We therefore had a complete tape of Calling Elvis, a complete tape of "Walk Of Life"s, etc. etc. etc. When selecting the final choice for the album, only Guy kept a note of which version had been used and he can't find the note! This is therefore "Guy's list from memory..."

Rotterdam: "Calling Elvis", "Walk Of Lif"e, "On Every Street", "You And Your Friend", "Money For Nothing", "Brothers In Arms", "Solid Rock" and "Local Hero" - "Wild Theme".

Nîmes: "Heavy Fuel", "Romeo & Juliet", "Private Investigations", "Your Latest Trick" and "The Bug".

Guy thinks he may have "YLT" and "OES" the wrong way round, but is "'95 per cent sure' the list is right.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »
Funny thing is that sometimes they cut to the audience from the different venue (for dramatic effect?), I remember searching for things like that.

The easiest way to distinguish the venues is by the additional microphone on Mark's microphone stand.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
Funny thing is that sometimes they cut to the audience from the different venue (for dramatic effect?), I remember searching for things like that.

The easiest way to distinguish the venues is by the additional microphone on Mark's microphone stand.

I wonder if the cd and dvd songs are from the same venues... In that case, just watching the dvd will tell you from where are that songs. You can see easily the Feyenord stadium or the Arenes in Nimes.

OfflineTerry01

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 01:13:27 PM »

I wonder if the cd and dvd songs are from the same venues... In that case, just watching the dvd will tell you from where are that songs. You can see easily the Feyenord stadium or the Arenes in Nimes.

Good info from the DSIS!
To check the exact venue of each song, i listened closely closely between the On the night record and the tracks from the different recordings (Nimes 20,21 and Rotterdam 30,31). So, the info i wrote it´s 99% accerted. Unfortunately, some songs (Calling Elvis for exampe) dont match 100% with the recordings of Nimes and Rotterdam

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 01:41:41 PM »

Good info from the DSIS!
To check the exact venue of each song, i listened closely closely between the On the night record and the tracks from the different recordings (Nimes 20,21 and Rotterdam 30,31). So, the info i wrote it´s 99% accerted. Unfortunately, some songs (Calling Elvis for exampe) dont match 100% with the recordings of Nimes and Rotterdam

They recorded a lot of nights and I'm not sure if we have all the audience recordings. However, as far as I recall well, Calling Elvis, in the dvd, is recorded in the Rotterdam Feyenoord stadium.

Your latest trick is recorded in Nimes, in the dvd.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:46:03 PM by jbaent »

OfflineTerry01

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »

Good info from the DSIS!

They recorded a lot of nights and I'm not sure if we have all the audience recordings. However, as far as I recall well, Calling Elvis, in the dvd, is recorded in the Rotterdam Feyenoord stadium.

Your latest trick is recorded in Nimes, in the dvd.
Yes, you are right. Calling Elvis probably comes from the concert from the 1st June, but dont exist a record of that night (i think)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »
However, I really never cared from which concert came this or that song from the "On the night" record. To me all of them sound exactly the same. MK reached his best as guitar player that tour, but the performances were pretty much the same concert after concert...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »
MK reached his best as guitar player that tour, but the performances were pretty much the same concert after concert...

One could argue that that is a contradiction. 

CE is from Nimes 21st.

I have read The Bug and YLT are from Rotterdam 30th.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:29:44 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTerry01

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »
MK reached his best as guitar player that tour, but the performances were pretty much the same concert after concert...

Is CE not from one of the bootlegged nights?  I can't recall which but I do remember it isn't the 19th.

I listened closely CE from 19,20,21 at nimes and 30,31 at Rotterdam and definitely none of that versions are the CE from On the night
PD: Sorry for the bad english

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »

Is CE not from one of the bootlegged nights?  I can't recall which but I do remember it isn't the 19th.

I listened closely CE from 19,20,21 at nimes and 30,31 at Rotterdam and definitely none of that versions are the CE from On the night

I've just listened to the concert of the 21st and the solos are the same.

OfflineTerry01

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 02:42:02 PM »

I recently listened the intro and dont match, for example in On the night, Mark greets to the audience during the start of Calling Elvis, but in the record from the 21st, Mark talks to the audience before to start playing.
PD:Its posible that we are listening different records called "Nimes 21st"  :think

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »

I recently listened the intro and dont match, for example in On the night, Mark greets to the audience during the start of Calling Elvis, but in the record from the 21st, Mark talks to the audience before to start playing.
PD:Its posible that we are listening different records called "Nimes 21st"  :think

The probably used a different intro to cut out the chat but the song itself is from 21st.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »

Not really... You can play absolutely fantastic night by night, but play exactly the same. I'm not talking about creativity, I'm talking about accuracy in his guitar playing. He was absolutely amazing technically, playing perfectly, but just that.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 03:04:36 PM »

Not really... You can play absolutely fantastic night by night, but play exactly the same. I'm not talking about creativity, I'm talking about accuracy in his guitar playing. He was absolutely amazing technically, playing perfectly, but just that.

I knew what you meant but I would argue that creativity is a part of it.  There is always a point in a tour where a peak is reached after the cobwebs being dusted off and prior to autopilot being switched on.  ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 36 queries.