Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: How do you like the album, a year down the road?  (Read 17312 times)

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
Re: How do you like the album, a year down the road?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 12:18:00 PM »
I think many more of the songs from Mark's solo career would have been more special too us had he played more of them live, or simply "supported" the album which the tour was named after. Too many songs are just put out there (on the album) and never revisited. It's a strange way to treat his "children".

Granted, not all songs may work well live, but surely on DTRW there were several that would have been fantastic live.

This is true, although it is also true that as the years go by it gets harder and harder to fit every album in the setlist as Mark, at least, tries to do.

GH - Bonaparte is almost always there, Rudiger and Cannibals appeared once or twice and left forever (Are We In Trouble Now ??).
STP - Speedway is always there and WII and STP also feature regularly. At least I was lucky enough to hear Silvertown, but The Long Highway, which would have been great with the LP Signature and even Who's Your Baby Now is a fun song to listen to: shelved forever.
TRD - Why Aye Man brought back this year and Hill Farmer's Blues, which is a masterpiece, left. The Ragpicker's Dream could have been there this tour. Criminally underrated.
SL - Postcards is there, but why not Boom Like That?
KTGC - Heart Full of Holes was finally brought up.
GL - Piper is there, so was Reiver in 2010, but where's Before Gas and TV, So Far From the Clyde?
Privateering - Always CBC. But songs like Go Love never appeared, as well as Redbud Tree (correct me if wrong).
Tracker - Another mystery. The choices in 2015 tour were ridiculous. Beryl would be great live: nowhere to be seen. Terminal Of Tribute To, My Heart Has Never Changed?
DTRW - Another mystery. NDT (this one left for good after it crossed the Pyrenees), MM and MBR were there, but OSAAT, Heavy Up and BOTDF were ruled out.

Of course, as always, Mark plays what he wants and 2019 was an improvement on 2015. But there are so many songs we'll never get around to hear live because he always chooses the same ones from the albums.

Agree on HFB, top class masterpiece!
But as I said before, it's likely that the set has to be suitable for the brass.
Which is not a shame, but yes, I missed several songs this time, like HFB, Telegraph an standard (why was it really dropped?), OSAAT from the new record, etc etc..

But again, I have the feeling the songs have to fit the brass-part, and therefore and lot of great ones were not played.

Maybe the brass guys forced TR to be dropped because they got bored, and Mark replied with "OK, Nobody does that one!"  :lol refering to NDT which was dropped too...

Probably not the case, but anyway, setlist must fit the brass was probably the main focus...

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
So many songs from Privateering could have been played this year... Redbud (played in 2012!), YTC, Seattle, Kingdom Of Gold, Gator Blood, Dream Of The Drowned Submariner. I expected Silvertown being dropped but TR was just brutal, together with WAM and SAN it was one of the last pieces with some signature MK guitar work. From STP we had at least Baloney and PW in previous tours, can't complain about TRD either (HFB and Marbletown were overplayed really).

It's a bummer this tour didn't rock a little bit more. Trapper, BOTD, OSAAT, Metroland (would have been perfect with the brassies), BLT, Cleaning My Gun, Coyote. I just keep hoping he does one more tour ;D

hunter

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 09:29:29 PM »
It's a bummer this tour didn't rock a little bit more. Trapper, BOTD, OSAAT, Metroland (would have been perfect with the brassies), BLT, Cleaning My Gun, Coyote. I just keep hoping he does one more tour ;D

The chances that the next tour will be more rocking are rather slim, I think ha-ha

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 12:07:32 PM »
Good question.  Now is the best time to review an album now the initial excitement has worn off.  I personally only really listen to OSAAT now, but I prefer the bootlegs.  It really wasn't his worst album.

I'm with you with regards OSAAT and indeed the album comment, But I do enjoy other tracks too - depends on the mood perhaps??
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 12:08:27 PM »
Still a very good album, a few skippers of late but the majority are just amazing...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 03:40:41 PM »
Still play it and love it like the first day. I just keep skipping "nobody's child" and "slow learner", sometimes even "heavy up".
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 06:10:37 PM »
Still play it and love it like the first day. I just keep skipping "nobody's child" and "slow learner", sometimes even "heavy up".

Funnily enough I skip those along with BOTD

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 06:53:00 PM »

Really? I like Nobody's Child very much. But Drover's Road wins.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 07:02:57 PM »
I have to admit that I hardly listen to it these days.   It has never been one of my favourite albums, but I love Drover's Road very much, also Nobody's Child, When You Leave and Floating Away.   I loved My Bacon Roll and Matchstick Man, played live on tour,  much better than the album version.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 07:30:21 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 07:28:10 PM »
superval99 One Song At A Time ? :)
Clear as the day

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »
superval99 One Song At A Time ? :)

It's OK, but that's all.  I have always found it rather boring, but that's just me and I do understand that others love it!   Maybe one day I will suddenly love it too.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 07:43:18 PM »
I understand :) For me one of the most important MK albums from start to finish.
Clear as the day

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 07:47:21 PM »
I understand :) For me one of the most important MK albums from start to finish.

Regarding OSAAT, I always felt that it was just getting more interesting when the folkies came in towards the end, but it was a bit too late and not long enough.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 07:48:11 PM »

Agreed!!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »

Agreed!!

:)
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 40 queries.