Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: How do you like the album, a year down the road?  (Read 16424 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: How do you like the album, a year down the road?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2021, 07:53:18 PM »
I understand :) For me one of the most important MK albums from start to finish.

Agreed!!

I obviously need to spend more time listening to this album, but I have tried - really!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2021, 07:57:43 PM »
I have a problem to choose my favorite album. superval99, Knopflerfan do you have a favorite?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2021, 08:15:13 PM »
I have a problem to choose my favorite album. superval99, Knopflerfan do you have a favorite?

If you mean MK albums I would have to choose those where there are no skippers for me and those are Shangri-La
and Tracker.  Kill To Get Crimson and The Ragpicker's Dream come close, but all of MKs albums have beautiful songs on them even though there are one or two skippers.   :)  I agree it's a problem choosing from such wonderful albums!

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2021, 08:29:42 PM »

If you mean MK albums I would have to choose those where there are no skippers for me and those are Shangri-La
and Tracker.  Kill To Get Crimson and The Ragpicker's Dream come close, but all of MKs albums have beautiful songs on them even though there are one or two skippers.   :)  I agree it's a problem choosing from such wonderful albums!

:thumbsup
I always thought MK fans liked Sailing To Philadelphia the most. On this forum I noticed that it is not like that :)
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2021, 09:23:56 AM »

Ooooh, now you are asking! I suppose it has to be GH because of it being the first solo album and to me the album that started MKs Solo path. Musically and Lyrically it's up there along with all of his albums.
Albums wise I cannot say an out right favourite because I find I listen to an MK album dependant on what mood I'm in. All of the albums are gems in my eyes. Not much help in this debate!
As for STP - excellent album!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2021, 09:24:55 AM »
I would never dream of skipping a song from Mark, they all have merit, but there is something about this album that is lower standard than the rest, the problem is Mark sets such a high standard, that's not to say I dislike the album at all, it has some great moments, but out of all of his albums, I would put it at the bottom, and trust me, that is hard for me to admit. I don't know if it's the whole brass instruments thing, I just don't think it is Mark's thing for his songs, or the jazz leaning his is going to, or a combination of both, it's hard to put my finger on what it is, he is and always will be a great guitarist and song writer though.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2021, 09:32:40 AM »
I'm absolutely not keen either on the brass shenanigans at all on DTRW...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2021, 12:36:11 PM »
I would never dream of skipping a song from Mark, they all have merit, but there is something about this album that is lower standard than the rest, the problem is Mark sets such a high standard, that's not to say I dislike the album at all, it has some great moments, but out of all of his albums, I would put it at the bottom, and trust me, that is hard for me to admit. I don't know if it's the whole brass instruments thing, I just don't think it is Mark's thing for his songs, or the jazz leaning his is going to, or a combination of both, it's hard to put my finger on what it is, he is and always will be a great guitarist and song writer though.

Exactly. I felt that he really had no interest in working in out, almost every song is a copy from older stuff and what's new about it has undoubtedly Guy's signature on it. Where is the sense in copying all kind of styles like disco etc and not putting something unique in it? Bacon Roll is an echoe of what once made MK songs so very special and unique. Even the rendition of Matchstick Man I cannot stand because of his wet, lazy and almost drunk vocal style. Hate it. Drowers Road had potential for me but sounds just like a worse version of BGATV. The drums on Trapper Man and OSAAT destroy the song, and on and on. It is the most non-MK MK album for me. The brass is just a try to fresh things up being aware that it is all very very thin. I give him that most of his lyrics are really great and show a development. But the connected music to them is a failure to me. This album made me say Goodbye to him.

LE
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:41:28 PM by Love Expresso »

Love Expresso

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2021, 12:48:52 PM »
I know it's just "another album", but to me, MK releases always were absolute important, almost sacred moments, knowing that this music would be with me for the rest of my life. Remember the picture that all albums are like children, you live them all, this one would turn out to be the child from another man (sorry for being so drastic its just a picture) so the love relation is heavily tested, under pressure and more or less destroyed.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2021, 12:58:13 PM »
I know it's just "another album", but to me, MK releases always were absolute important, almost sacred moments, knowing that this music would be with me for the rest of my life. Remember the picture that all albums are like children, you live them all, this one would turn out to be the child from another man (sorry for being so drastic its just a picture) so the love relation is heavily tested, under pressure and more or less destroyed.

LE

I'm sorry to read your comments LE. Harsh to say goodbye to MK isn't it? After all you rightly say the lyrics are just genius. I admit some of the music is very Guy orientated but underneath it all it is still MK....hate is such a strong word especially in this sad old world and I certainly do not HATE any of MKs work - dislike perhaps....
Matchstick man is just classic MK - Simular, but 2nd to HOO.....

Love Expresso

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2021, 01:00:39 PM »
HOO?

I am out for nearly two years, haven't listened to him I ce 2019 and start to realize that I tend to forget some of his titles.. I can't figure out HOO..

LE

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
Love Expresso but it's not a long goodbye. Until 2022. Until the next album:)
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »
HOO?

I am out for nearly two years, haven't listened to him I ce 2019 and start to realize that I tend to forget some of his titles.. I can't figure out HOO..

LE

Heart of Oak - dear chap!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2021, 01:14:46 PM »
Love Expresso but it's not a long goodbye. Until 2022. Until the next album:)

;D

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2021, 01:25:18 PM »

Ooooh, now you are asking! I suppose it has to be GH because of it being the first solo album and to me the album that started MKs Solo path. Musically and Lyrically it's up there along with all of his albums.
Albums wise I cannot say an out right favourite because I find I listen to an MK album dependant on what mood I'm in. All of the albums are gems in my eyes. Not much help in this debate!
As for STP - excellent album!

:thumbsup
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 42 queries.