Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dream/Wish Setlist  (Read 13889 times)

OfflineAl

• Guitar George
Re: Dream/Wish Setlist
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 12:24:18 AM »
I hope for "We can get wild" with LP or Strat (no wammy bar, please!) , with nice solos from MK & Richard.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
Steinei, I also hope Shangri-La will get kicked. I used to love this song but I think it has become boring now...
As for songs that couldn't work... Don't ask me why but somehow I don't think he will play "So Far From The Clyde"... Same goes for 5:15am. Maybe because the stories are way too strong and the lyrics would "go under"... You know what I mean? I would LOVE to hear them, though. "Cleaning My Gun" would be cool and "Border Reiver would be an awesome opener.
Oh and PLEASE no "Bonaparte" and - even though I might get kicked for saying this - he could omit BiA as well *ducks and runs*

GH - i agree with your omissions - though i recall from Guys forum discussions of a much more varied tour this year with the potential of alternating songs from one night to the next - my god - this has been unheard of!!! ;D
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »
Steinei, I also hope Shangri-La will get kicked. I used to love this song but I think it has become boring now...
As for songs that couldn't work... Don't ask me why but somehow I don't think he will play "So Far From The Clyde"... Same goes for 5:15am. Maybe because the stories are way too strong and the lyrics would "go under"... You know what I mean? I would LOVE to hear them, though. "Cleaning My Gun" would be cool and "Border Reiver would be an awesome opener.
Oh and PLEASE no "Bonaparte" and - even though I might get kicked for saying this - he could omit BiA as well *ducks and runs*

GH - i agree with your omissions - though i recall from Guys forum discussions of a much more varied tour this year with the potential of alternating songs from one night to the next - my god - this has been unheard of!!! ;D

I never understood why they had the same rigid set list night after night on the KTGC tour, with a few minor adjustments here and there.

They're all talented and skilled musicians, so I'm suprised they didn't get bored playing the same songs night after night. Surely they'd like to stretch themselves a bit more - they surely have the ability.  

As for the next setlist, i'd like to see more from the Dire Straits/Communique albums and not necessarily Sultans of Swing. I think we can do without Brothers In Arms and So Far Away this time round too. It's been done to death and it's nearly as depressing as the way Clapton always finishes with Wonderful Tonight, Sunshine of Your Love, Cocai.....zzzzz......zzzz...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:03:15 PM by pjh3121 »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 05:14:49 PM »
Seems it's been a common trait right from the early DS days, MK likes to keep things controlled and fairly rigid, meaning sets are almost always the same and indeed, solos are usually identical night after night.

I remember reading an interview with Clapton years ago where he commented that MK wants everything exactly the same every night, right down to how hard a cymbal is hit, but he likes his bands to be more improvisational.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 05:23:52 PM »
Seems it's been a common trait right from the early DS days, MK likes to keep things controlled and fairly rigid, meaning sets are almost always the same and indeed, solos are usually identical night after night.

I remember reading an interview with Clapton years ago where he commented that MK wants everything exactly the same every night, right down to how hard a cymbal is hit, but he likes his bands to be more improvisational.

That's interesting what Clapton said. I have to question any artist's ability when they play it that safe. On the opposite end of that spectrum, you have an artist like Prince who rehearsed 100 songs for his 21 night O2 residency in 2007 and played different set lists every night as a result.

Clapton's another artist that can be hit and miss. Some nights he can be on auto-pilot, then other nights he can blow you away and remind you why he was known as God.

I still think that his recorded output since the mid-90's has been more exciting and varied than MK's, particularly Reptile. No snooze inducing celtic folk on there.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »
Don't want to turn this into an "I Hate..." thread, but I'm not a huge fan of Clapton. Of course his songwriting is nowhere near the level of MK, and guitar wise he seems to be on "Blues autopilot" a lot of the time, yes it may be "improvised", but really it's the same licks he's been playing for 40 years.

MK's different directions may not be to everyone's tastes, but at least he's not playing the same stuff again and again and again...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »
again, best example of how a dream setlist could be is Bob Dylan, the man has been alternating songs every single night for the past 3500 shows....as in, every night, new songs, sometimes more the 80% compared to the night before.
sometimes that leads to a miss, but mostly it keps the whole affair fresh.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 01:01:57 AM »
Don't want to turn this into an "I Hate..." thread, but I'm not a huge fan of Clapton. Of course his songwriting is nowhere near the level of MK, and guitar wise he seems to be on "Blues autopilot" a lot of the time, yes it may be "improvised", but really it's the same licks he's been playing for 40 years.

MK's different directions may not be to everyone's tastes, but at least he's not playing the same stuff again and again and again...

Well everybody has his style. E.g., Dave Gilmour kinda sounds that "it's the same licks he's been playing for" 20-25(?) years, at least to me. If MK would play just Rock&Roll, it would sound the same. EC sounds kinda the same. That's probably what some people like about certain artists.

I would personally prefer MK to play just Rock and roll although it may sound the same and "autopilotish". If he is getting into different directions just not to sound the same (which he is not), thanks, but no thanks.

If EC is guitarwise on autopilot, so is MK imho because he is playing the same set every night.

you're right, it's not so much to my taste.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:38:28 AM by boboDS »
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
Border Reiver
Madame Geneva's
Camerado
What It Is
Single Handed Sailor
Where Do You Think You're Going
Hand In Hand
It Never Rains
5:15 AM
You And Your Friend
Why Worry
Lady Writer
Setting Me Up
Don't You Get It
Cleaning My Gun
Boom, Like That
Hill Farmer's Blues
Tunnel Of Love

1st Encore
Brothers In Arms
So Far From The Clyde
In The Sky

2nd Encore
Long Highway
Piper To The End

3rd Encore
Going Home

Just listening to "The Long Road" and I'd love to hear this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:29:04 PM by tobi777 »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »
pjh3121 - I bought "Reptile" and I found it to be really boring!   Far too many covers of songs.  I have played it at the most about 4 times and now it is consigned to the very back of my CD drawer!   It just proves that everyone is different and it would be dull if we were all the same!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »
I love your encores Tobi! My choice as well.

But anyway, it's a pity MK doesn't start in Amsterdam. Last year, Pottel arrived at my home a day earlier and after a good, long and intensive visit to some pubs during the night  we predicted the setlist very well, do you remember Maarten? (hard to remember because of the hangover, but that part I remember very well  ;D)

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »
Border Reiver
Madame Geneva's
Camerado
What It Is
Single Handed Sailor
Where Do You Think You're Going
Hand In Hand
It Never Rains
5:15 AM
You And Your Friend
Why Worry
Lady Writer
Setting Me Up
Don't You Get It
Cleaning My Gun
Boom, Like That
Hill Farmer's Blues
Tunnel Of Love

1st Encore
Brothers In Arms
So Far From The Clyde
In The Sky

2nd Encore
Long Highway
Piper To The End

3rd Encore
Going Home

Interesting choice's - a great mix - but a few problems - this would make the concert about 3 hours initially and how could anyone but Paul Franklin play on YAYF - i somehow cant see him on tour with MK next year as much as i would like to see him.....ahh well - as i said - great selection!
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 03:06:03 PM »
The main reason to put YAYF on the setlist is to have Paul Franklin on stage with MK again  ;)
If this would happen, I am going to scream so loud you can hear it all over the world, I'd love to see PF back  :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 06:35:03 PM »
I love your encores Tobi! My choice as well.

But anyway, it's a pity MK doesn't start in Amsterdam. Last year, Pottel arrived at my home a day earlier and after a good, long and intensive visit to some pubs during the night  we predicted the setlist very well, do you remember Maarten? (hard to remember because of the hangover, but that part I remember very well  ;D)
ouch... 8)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »
I think Border Riever will kick off each set - it lends itself to being the first song played. It will get the crowd going with the tempo.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.