Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: My Telegraph Road solo project  (Read 9445 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: My Telegraph Road solo project
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 05:23:43 AM »
About time this discussion/disagreement was put to bed and put in the 'ALMOST STRAITS' section of this forum.....

* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 07:04:37 PM »
No worries!

I’d actually try YouTube, doesn’t have to be anything amazing just something that gets the job done.

As far as effects chain goes, simple is always better I think, even in the oes tour all the Pensa solos for TR , sultans , TOL etc don’t have excessive gain just a touch. I don’t know the ampli rig very well, but I would use a cranked clean amp, a clean drive that adds just a tiny bit of gain. Then I’d experiment maybe with a compressor and just a little reverb and delay.

Just some thoughts :)

Thanks again for the tips.

I have the same idea for the tone. For the first video, I've used the jmp1 pre amp emulator, which sounded a bit better to my ears than the Soldano SLO100 in Amplitube. Thia Marshall emulator is a bit odd because it's being offered in the amp section when it's actually a pre-amp.

I then added some rack compressor and a bit of reverb.

But I need to improve the mics position and dial down the gain.

I've just bought the BIAS FX2 elite pack and this week I plan to play with that.

I also need a good pair of monitors. My current headphones simply don't cut the mustard.

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 07:07:50 PM »
Very good!
I would just say to prolong the twiddly bits at the end a little bit more. Mark usually does two rounds (like Basel 92).
Other than that I think it's coming along quite well.

Thanks, mate! There's still some work to get it to sound right.

Do you refer to the bits at 2:40?

Um abraço do Brasil, meu caro!

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 10:14:00 PM »
Very good!
I would just say to prolong the twiddly bits at the end a little bit more. Mark usually does two rounds (like Basel 92).

Yes, at 2:40. In the first video you did it, but in the second clip it kinda feels a little short and leaves you in a situation where you have to prolong the last note a bit too much. It's the only thing I have to point out, because the rest is very good!
Um abraço português!

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 12:27:30 AM »
Very good!

Yes, at 2:40. In the first video you did it, but in the second clip it kinda feels a little short and leaves you in a situation where you have to prolong the last note a bit too much. It's the only thing I have to point out, because the rest is very good!
Um abraço português!

Yeah, man, that's a tricky one!

The second video is the part from Nimes alone. I also notice that, but in this version you'll notice that he does this arpeggio a bit shorter than he does in the Basel version when he repeats it for the second time. I guess it's due to the preceding licks.

I took the first part from Basel and then the second I've shortened the bit from Nimes.

Anyway, you spotted that right!

Cheers.

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 05:30:50 AM »

I've finally bought a monitor headphone from AKG and then recorded this clip with the audio recorded straight from the direct output of my Zoom G3X.

Sorry for the low volume.

OfflineStephanG

• Guitar George
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 07:04:42 AM »
well done...

it may not be perfect but its still 100 times better than I can do.. ive never even contemplated trying his solos...  partly because i play with a pick and not thumb and fingers, and partly because of im too afraid too!

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
My Telegraph Road solo project
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 01:43:27 PM »
Hey! Really nice try! Just continue practicing. I would’t focuse too much on equipement, but on the tone you can create yourself from the use of both your hands.

A couple of tips for practicing: Try to squeeze the right tone out of the instrument without plugging it into an amp. It’s hard work. Try to snap the strings, not touch them (or use a plectrum instead). And try to use a lot more pressure on the left hand and more vibrato. And voila! Some day you’ll be there!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:46:31 PM by Mossguitar »

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
Hey! Really nice try! Just continue practicing. I would’t focuse too much on equipement, but on the tone you can create yourself from the use of both your hands.

A couple of tips for practicing: Try to squeeze the right tone out of the instrument without plugging it into an amp. It’s hard work. Try to snap the strings, not touch them (or use a plectrum instead). And try to use a lot more pressure on the left hand and more vibrato. And voila! Some day you’ll be there!

Thanks for the tips, man!

Since I've recorded that, I've changed some things both in my rig and in my playing.

First, I've moved from the PC simulators back to my multi effects pedal. I've bought a Zoom G5n and it feels much better than my previous setup.

Another thing that I've changed is the effects chain itself. I've recorded that using the simulated drive channel of the Soldano amp in Amplitube.

Now I'm using the clean channel of the Fender Twin Reverb with a TS drive portal with low gain. I'm still refining it.

Mark's signature vibrato is another thing I'm trying to get right. I was not completely confident about the execution of such a long solo, so I've missed quite a lot of them  ;D

On this guitar I also got some fret buzz.

I plan to record another take of it soon.

Thanks again!

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »
well done...

it may not be perfect but its still 100 times better than I can do.. ive never even contemplated trying his solos...  partly because i play with a pick and not thumb and fingers, and partly because of im too afraid too!

Thanks, mate! The departure from the pick is sadly a mandatory thing so we can start. Mark's playing is quite unique even for people used to finger style.

But it's never too late to start, I guess.

Get some rockabilly guitar lessons on YouTube and you'll be more confident about your fingers placement.

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 07:01:13 PM »
Guys, I will divert the discussion of this project to my newly created center post:

https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=7405.0

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.