Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Anyone of here knows or talked with MK personally?  (Read 6250 times)

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Anyone of here knows or talked with MK personally?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »
I've once been with an old (has-been?) Turkish art music (kind of modernized Ottoman music) singer on a very crowded airport bus. We were standing. He used to be pretty famous when I was a kid. He looked at me but I pretend not to see and know him. Maybe he thought, "ah these younger generations, they don't know me." We were still waiting for the people to get on the bus and everybody was impatient. Then suddenly I whispered, "Patience my heart," name of one of his old famous songs. Then we both smiled. I'm kind of proud of this anecdote :)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 01:16:31 AM »
I met him all the 3 nights of the 2002 London shows, but we shook hands and talked briefly only the 2nd night,
basically only a 'very kind of you' for signing STP album and he smiled showily as if he was happier than me.

I would have wanted (and still want to) to talk to him about my inability to play guitar since 1995 when I was 18
 after playing so many hours every day his songs, I destroyed myself because of him so I am curious about his reaction,
but there were many people waiting for an autograph so I didn't mention it.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:24:02 AM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 08:29:10 AM »
I've once been with an old (has-been?) Turkish art music (kind of modernized Ottoman music) singer on a very crowded airport bus. We were standing. He used to be pretty famous when I was a kid. He looked at me but I pretend not to see and know him. Maybe he thought, "ah these younger generations, they don't know me." We were still waiting for the people to get on the bus and everybody was impatient. Then suddenly I whispered, "Patience my heart," name of one of his old famous songs. Then we both smiled. I'm kind of proud of this anecdote :)
Nice story!
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineStephanG

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 03:20:04 PM »
not MK related, but I was in a mall once, and my girlfriend and I found ourselves walking literally a step or 2 behind a famous sports star and his wife..

my girlfriend got all excited and starting saying loudly " OMG its XXXX....."

he overheard her and just gave a brief look back at us...

i then said to her, equally loudly.. 'Calm down... he is probably saying to his wife right now ' OMG its Stephan walking behind us'.."

he burst out laughing and stopped and chatted to us for a moment... some times celebrities can also just be human after all..

I would still like to meet Mark one day... but unless he changes his policy, I am not signing anything of his either.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 03:56:30 PM »
I went to the opening day screening of The Princess Bride in Westwood, California - and Rob Reiner, the director, was in the lobby waiting around to see the reaction.  I ran up to him and instead of talking about the movie and how much everyone loved it, this is what happened:

HEY, WHAT WAS IT LIKE WORKING WITH MARK KNOPFLER??
Um, it was good.
That's AWESOME!

And I got about 10 steps towards the exit when I thought to turn around and say:

OH YEAH, THANKS FOR MAKING THE MOVIE!

So sometimes it's better to just smile and nod and be normal.  :smack

Ha. I've read you telling this story before and think about it a lot, very funny!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »
Well if I could race at historic events such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed and meet Mark I would probably speak with him about cars or paints and pretend he is not a music superstar. And would only discuss guitar or whatever music subject if he do first.

Unfortunately I just own an every day car...

My dad once met a pretty famous musician in my hometown, in a local store, and decided to discuss food with him a little without disclosing any signs of knowing who he is. Just two meat fans discussing meat! They had a pretty nice conversation and the super famous guy got away in his super car. From all the possible results this one seems to me like the best one. Because you kill so many birds with one stone... You talk with the guy, not disturbing him too much, have fun, not killing the chance. A win-win situation.
now i wanna know who!

myself i "met" him only once during the NHB ronnie scotss shows and even though i had ran the possible conversation  through my mind multiple times, i could only blurt out a "thnx and great show"...still, better than nothing.
not sure what to talk about with him anyways, without becoming the annoying superfan.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.