Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on Sirius XM  (Read 110954 times)

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
Re: Mark on Sirius XM
« Reply #435 on: July 23, 2020, 09:48:08 PM »
According to Mark's facebook site a new episode was broadcasted yesterday.  :clap
Can't wait to hear it.

No more waiting, sorry for the delay, but had a busy morning.

https://we.tl/t-xWXDriSXin

Creedence Clearwater Revival
Lookin' Out My Back Door

Dan Auerbach
Goin' Home

Emmylou Harris
If I Could Only Win Your Love

Warren Smith
Red Cadillac And A Black Moustache

Michael Hurley
Hog Of The Foresaken

Dolly Parton Radio
Silver Threads and Golden Needless

Iron & Wine
Resurrection Fern

The Imps
That'll Get it

Bonnie Raitt
Write Me A Few Of Your Lines / Kokomo Blues

The Staves
Wisely And Slow

Kinks
Tired Of Waiting For You (65)

Van Morrison
Into The Mystic

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #436 on: July 23, 2020, 10:37:33 PM »
According to Mark's facebook site a new episode was broadcasted yesterday.  :clap
Can't wait to hear it.

Lookin' Out My Back Door

Dan Auerbach
Goin' Home

Emmylou Harris

Warren Smith

Michael Hurley
Hog Of The Foresaken

Dolly Parton Radio

Iron & Wine
Resurrection Fern

The Imps
That'll Get it

Bonnie Raitt

The Staves
Wisely And Slow

Kinks

Van Morrison
Into The Mystic

Brilliant! I loved Mark's story about the school. It's funny how we're all hate school, but somehow grow up normal human beings :lol

I wish he would play a stripped-down version of Into The Mystic which I posted earlier, but the original is also great. Van the man!

UPD: The British Grove Broadcast playlist is updated, however, 2 songs are missing: That Lucky Old Sun by Ray Charles and If It's Really Got To Be This Way by Bill Kirchen

Link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4t7y47gbDJQNKRL2dfKYWm?si=etPTCBriR_SsQVXdgLdE-A
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:57:04 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #437 on: July 24, 2020, 09:36:03 AM »
do i need to do anything for that spotify update, or will it simply be updated next time i open it?
i sent it to my mother, who is in hospital revalidating from a broken foot for 3 to 6 weeks and she loved the music. (went to MK with me twice, 2006 tour opener in Brussels and 2010 in Antwerp)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #438 on: July 24, 2020, 10:20:22 AM »
do i need to do anything for that spotify update, or will it simply be updated next time i open it?
i sent it to my mother, who is in hospital revalidating from a broken foot for 3 to 6 weeks and she loved the music. (went to MK with me twice, 2006 tour opener in Brussels and 2010 in Antwerp)

Yes, it just updates on its own, maybe even with no reopening required (I'll test that later). The reason I made my own playlist was not to offend other folks doing it, but because when the ambiguity arises among some tracks, and for a lot of tracks there's more than just 1 version from 1 album, people often will choose the other track, not the one played by Mark. It can be as different as having a slower tempo, another take, live version or different version altogether. So I had to dial each track by hand to avoid just that. Kudos to your mother for having such a great taste in music!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #439 on: July 24, 2020, 10:23:01 AM »
with such a great son it was not much of a suprise. and she is only 67 :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #440 on: July 25, 2020, 10:18:52 PM »
Can't wait to hear it.

Lookin' Out My Back Door

Dan Auerbach
Goin' Home

Emmylou Harris

Warren Smith

Michael Hurley
Hog Of The Foresaken

Dolly Parton Radio

Iron & Wine
Resurrection Fern

The Imps
That'll Get it

Bonnie Raitt

The Staves
Wisely And Slow

Kinks

Van Morrison
Into The Mystic

I have always loved to listen to CCR and to hear them here on the show was nice.
Although the song was nothing new to all of us. ;)
Mark sounds more and more relaxed in front of this mic and seems to enjoy it.
My discovery of this week is Michael Hurley, Iron & Wine and The Staves.

This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #441 on: July 26, 2020, 06:03:26 PM »
I have always loved to listen to CCR and to hear them here on the show was nice.
Although the song was nothing new to all of us. ;)
Mark sounds more and more relaxed in front of this mic and seems to enjoy it.
My discovery of this week is Michael Hurley, Iron & Wine and The Staves.

I love the music so much exactly for the fact that for somebody even the song like Lookin Out My Back Door can be new and refreshing, despite that fact it was released 50 years ago. There are always people who never heard your favourite song and if you play it and he will like it, that's the greatest thing in the world.

Offlinezmiguelgomes

• Guitar George
« Reply #442 on: July 26, 2020, 11:07:40 PM »
Can't wait to hear it.

Thank you very much!

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #443 on: July 30, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »
British Grove Broadcast Ep. 17

https://we.tl/t-48dxmkpRmR

Feufollet
Tired Of Your Tears

Ray Charles
Til There Was You

The Incredible String Band
Empty Pocker Blues

Dean Martin/The Easy Riders
Memories Are Made Of This (56)

Rickie Lee Jones
A House On Bayless St.

Fleetwood Mac
Rollin' Man (Live) 69

Waylon Jennings
Dreaming My Dreams With You

Alex Hargreaves, Bruce Molsky, Sarah Jarosz and Tatiana Hargreaves
She Left Me Standing On The Mountain

Kelly Joe Phelps
Talkin' To Jehova

The Chieftains
Coast Of Malabar

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #444 on: July 30, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
There he is... Playtime deluxe (rollin man)  :) He didn't mention the recent death of Peter Green, so it was recorded (long?) before i suppose.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #445 on: July 30, 2020, 12:33:12 PM »
There he is... Playtime deluxe (rollin man)  :) He didn't mention the recent death of Peter Green, so it was recorded (long?) before i suppose.

It was recorded so long ago that he hasn't even mentioned COVID yet even once.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #446 on: July 30, 2020, 01:25:16 PM »
British Grove Broadcast Ep. 17

https://we.tl/t-48dxmkpRmR

Feufollet
Tired Of Your Tears

Ray Charles
Til There Was You

The Incredible String Band
Empty Pocker Blues

Dean Martin/The Easy Riders
Memories Are Made Of This (56)

Rickie Lee Jones
A House On Bayless St.

Fleetwood Mac
Rollin' Man (Live) 69

Waylon Jennings
Dreaming My Dreams With You

Alex Hargreaves, Bruce Molsky, Sarah Jarosz and Tatiana Hargreaves
She Left Me Standing On The Mountain

Kelly Joe Phelps
Talkin' To Jehova

The Chieftains
Coast Of Malabar

Oh my, that's one of my favourite episodes so far. A very cool setlist, very cool. I laughed hard that Mark can't remember which song he recorded with The Chieftains as if that's not a big deal to him.

The playlist was updated: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4t7y47gbDJQNKRL2dfKYWm?si=BDPcxFd1R42lBjpxyUsN2g

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #447 on: August 01, 2020, 01:22:38 AM »
It's a pity that this show is pretty much underrated. And it can't be overrated because the radio show is not the best way to communicate with fans these days... Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour started in the times we had no HD videos even, radio was a good spot to be in. Nowadays, having a radio show is a bit like using a rotary telephone — may do the job, but ridiculously old-fashioned. This may add to Mark's old-school view of the world but won't benefit us fans as I think.

Mark's show begs to be in the form of a podcast, preferably with video portions as well, especially since British Grove Studios is such a marvellously beautiful place, not only "great place to enjoy music". He could do much better, but this format seems to please him and that's fine. It's fine for me too, but in order to listen to it, I must be a die-hard fan who uses fan forums and stuff like that and can't listen to the show officially at all.

With that said, I feel extremely privileged to enjoy music recommended not by anyone, but by Mark Knopfler. I dreamed about it ever since I've read an article where he said he loves playing Oscar Peterson records at home. And now you have basically the handpicked playlist filled by brilliant stories, begging to be in the form of a book. But certainly not in the form of the elusive radio show you can barely find.

I understand that radio provides the absence of licensing issues, but to be completely honest listening to music is not the most important part of the show. The best part is the stories. If I had all the time in the world, I'd create a website with all the episodes transcribed, with just names of the songs. I mean who wants, he will find all the songs. But you won't find the stories, and that's my point.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:36:01 AM by quizzaciously »

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #448 on: August 01, 2020, 10:46:45 AM »
It's a pity that this show is pretty much underrated. And it can't be overrated because the radio show is not the best way to communicate with fans these days... Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour started in the times we had no HD videos even, radio was a good spot to be in. Nowadays, having a radio show is a bit like using a rotary telephone — may do the job, but ridiculously old-fashioned. This may add to Mark's old-school view of the world but won't benefit us fans as I think.

Mark's show begs to be in the form of a podcast, preferably with video portions as well, especially since British Grove Studios is such a marvellously beautiful place, not only "great place to enjoy music". He could do much better, but this format seems to please him and that's fine. It's fine for me too, but in order to listen to it, I must be a die-hard fan who uses fan forums and stuff like that and can't listen to the show officially at all.

With that said, I feel extremely privileged to enjoy music recommended not by anyone, but by Mark Knopfler. I dreamed about it ever since I've read an article where he said he loves playing Oscar Peterson records at home. And now you have basically the handpicked playlist filled by brilliant stories, begging to be in the form of a book. But certainly not in the form of the elusive radio show you can barely find.

I understand that radio provides the absence of licensing issues, but to be completely honest listening to music is not the most important part of the show. The best part is the stories. If I had all the time in the world, I'd create a website with all the episodes transcribed, with just names of the songs. I mean who wants, he will find all the songs. But you won't find the stories, and that's my point.

Why shouldn`t this show be a good way to communicate with the fans?
For me radio still is and always will be a great source to get all kinds of information.
So Marks radio show is just perfect for me. I love to hear his voice, love to hear his stories, and last but not least love to hear all of the great songs coming from HIS jukebox. What can you expect more from your favourite musician than hearing his voice each and every week on the radio presenting songs most of them new to you. I really enjoy it! We all know that Mark has never been a big fan of videos, so why should he do what he isn`t fond of.  And as long as Mark is having fun doing it, he will keep on going. And that`s the best thing of all.
What I have to complain is that the show is not available to all of us fans worldwide.
What a pity! Binone, your job is being appreciated so much!
Just my opinion, but maybe I am a bit old fashioned, too.  ;)

This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #449 on: August 01, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
Why shouldn`t this show be a good way to communicate with the fans?
For me radio still is and always will be a great source to get all kinds of information.
So Marks radio show is just perfect for me. I love to hear his voice, love to hear his stories, and last but not least love to hear all of the great songs coming from HIS jukebox. What can you expect more from your favourite musician than hearing his voice each and every week on the radio presenting songs most of them new to you. I really enjoy it! We all know that Mark has never been a big fan of videos, so why should he do what he isn`t fond of.  And as long as Mark is having fun doing it, he will keep on going. And that`s the best thing of all.
What I have to complain is that the show is not available to all of us fans worldwide.
What a pity! Binone, your job is being appreciated so much!
Just my opinion, but maybe I am a bit old fashioned, too.  ;)

Because I hate when content is not available even if you're willing to pay for it. I'd pay 30 bucks a month, or whatever just to listen to this programme and have a transcription, but I can't. Instead, just like young Mark sitting with a radio under the blanket listening to the Radio Luxembourg, you're trying to catch something for free that can't be found the more approachable way. So that's more authentic if you think about it :lol

The music industry is still fundamentally broken. You have streaming platforms, from which the artist gets nothing, but at the same time, you have shows like MK's show available in just two countries. Needless to say, 2 countries... is less than 195 countries that actually in the world. In result, the artist gets less money and views, people have trouble finding the content, no-win for everybody.

That's just me hating on the availability, but all other aspects are great, of course. I still want a book from MK, however, I don't think that he will ever write a book and that's a shame. All his stories are so insane and so funny and memorable.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 38 queries.