Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on Sirius XM  (Read 111149 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Mark on Sirius XM
« Reply #510 on: September 03, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »
Last week episode and this week episode, song by song, later this morning, STAY TUNED!

Here you have, episodes 20 & 21, song by song

ENJOY!

https://we.tl/t-2niosyIjZD
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #511 on: September 03, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »
Than you jbaent! Wow, no any "outfits" in the 21st episode :lol

Love all the contemporary outfits though, The Felice Brothers, Leon Redbone and Beth Rowley are amazing.

I love how Mark plays so many The Beatles covers. It reminds me of Radio Hermitage, a jazz radio station here in Saint Petersburg. And on the section called "Popular music in Jazz" they almost always put on one of The Beatles songs.

Funny how Mark played the same Django Reinhardt tune which was on the Metroland soundtrack album.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #512 on: September 03, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »
It was great to hear Sharon Shannon & Steve Earle's song "The Galway Girl" and Chance McCoy's "Gospel Plow" and also one of the pieces from the Metroland soundtrack "Blues Clair" by Django Reinhardt.   The other one from that soundtrack is one of my favourites too - "Minor Swing" with Django and Stefan Grappelli on violin. For some unknown reason the guitar reminds me of Sultans.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #513 on: September 03, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »
It was great to hear Sharon Shannon & Steve Earle's song "The Galway Girl" and Chance McCoy's "Gospel Plow" and also one of the pieces from the Metroland soundtrack "Blues Clair" by Django Reinhardt.   The other one from that soundtrack is one of my favourites too - "Minor Swing" with Django and Stefan Grappelli on violin. For some unknown reason the guitar reminds me of Sultans.  :)

Good catch, because the solo in Sultans clearly drew major inspiration from Django, which is even more prominent on live versions, and gets even more prominent with time. When Mark goes crazy with chromatic scales and wide arpeggios you know that comes from Django!

Sharon Shannon was a featured artist along with Mark on the show Sult - Spirit Of The Music. I think Mark has already totally forgotten he was there at all :lol By the way, the version of "Raglan Road" he played there is very similar to Van Morrison's version, I'm pretty sure he drew inspiration for his version from Sir Van.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #514 on: September 03, 2020, 07:40:18 PM »

Good catch, because the solo in Sultans clearly drew major inspiration from Django, which is even more prominent on live versions, and gets even more prominent with time. When Mark goes crazy with chromatic scales and wide arpeggios you know that comes from Django!

Sharon Shannon was a featured artist along with Mark on the show Sult - Spirit Of The Music. I think Mark has already totally forgotten he was there at all :lol By the way, the version of "Raglan Road" he played there is very similar to Van Morrison's version, I'm pretty sure he drew inspiration for his version from Sir Van.

Yes, Sir Van might have been an inspiration for his interpretation of "Raglan Road". Although MK is not the typical singer (or because?!), his "Raglan Road" sounds absolutely breathtaking and emotional to me. Love it!
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #515 on: September 04, 2020, 01:49:31 AM »
Updated my Spotify BGBroadcast playlist with a new pic which is far better than the picture they use for The British Grove Broadcast (without British Grove in it, but with a brick wall and ridiculously serious MK).

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4t7y47gbDJQNKRL2dfKYWm?si=jz8gKHoVQs6YfOuuKojB2w

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #516 on: September 04, 2020, 04:32:05 PM »
Brother by Beth Rowley just wow !
Such a moving song, maybe Mark’s tribute to his sister Ruth ?
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #517 on: September 04, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »
Brother by Beth Rowley just wow !
Such a moving song, maybe Mark’s tribute to his sister Ruth ?

I believe she died after these shows were recorded, but the song is really amazing! Also, I laughed on Mark's comment about a man with last name May dying in May and I feel bad for that, though it was Mark who started it :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #518 on: September 07, 2020, 12:09:08 AM »
Okay, I thought why not try transcribing The British Grove Broadcast one song at a time... I want to do this I don't know why. So it will take 5 minutes of my life to do every song, but I think it will worth it.

Here's the editable link so everybody can join the party: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d115Bt6OQwKCLlj9G60_YSO9Pe1UbTCYtEMTuVzaKu4/edit?usp=sharing

Offlinerelaxcoustic

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #519 on: September 07, 2020, 11:34:11 AM »
Okay, I thought why not try transcribing The British Grove Broadcast one song at a time... I want to do this I don't know why. So it will take 5 minutes of my life to do every song, but I think it will worth it.

Here's the editable link so everybody can join the party: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d115Bt6OQwKCLlj9G60_YSO9Pe1UbTCYtEMTuVzaKu4/edit?usp=sharing

Hahhahah this made me laugh really hard, you are insane  😄😄 I wish I needed only 5 mins per song!

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #520 on: September 07, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »

Hahhahah this made me laugh really hard, you are insane  😄😄 I wish I needed only 5 mins per song!

It is the intro to the song by Mark (and outro, I think), not the song itself.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #521 on: September 07, 2020, 02:44:50 PM »

Hahaha! Brilliant. This is sort of confusion even I can't foresee. Yes, I was talking about transcribing Mark's words about the song, not the song itself! On average I think it will take 5 minutes, but of course sometimes it's just a couple of words and sometimes it's a whole chapter like in Morricone's case. I'm not a native speaker, but I'm not a native speaker with a trained ear, so that's not the impossible task.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:58:39 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinerelaxcoustic

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #522 on: September 07, 2020, 03:13:07 PM »

Hahaha! Brilliant. This is sort of confusion even I can't foresee. Yes, I was talking about transcribing Mark's words about the song, not the song itself! On average I think it will take 5 minutes, but of course sometimes it's just a couple of words and sometimes it's a whole chapter like in Morricone's case. I'm not a native speaker, but I'm not a native speaker with a trained ear, so that's not the impossible task.

Aahhh fair then 😄 to be honest, since I am following you for a few years now, really wasn’t surprised when you said you’d transcribe every song and that it would take you 5 mins per song 😅 cheers, hope there are lessons incoming

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #523 on: September 08, 2020, 12:10:21 AM »
Well, the first episode is done: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d115Bt6OQwKCLlj9G60_YSO9Pe1UbTCYtEMTuVzaKu4/edit?usp=sharing

If somebody could help me proofread this I would be happy. It's not about what I transcribed though, but more about what Mark actually said, so I'm looking for the real help.

You can edit the document any time, so go ahead. Don't try to vandalise it though, because it automatically saves all the versions, so it's easy to go back any time :lol

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #524 on: September 08, 2020, 12:33:09 AM »
Wow! Great idea:) Thank you quizzaciously.  Will there be all episodes?  ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.