Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK/DS connections to DG/PF  (Read 5387 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: MK/DS connections to DG/PF
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »
Many years ago I read somewhere what Waters thought about the PF Gilmour-area: he said something like, it almost sounds like Dire Straits (in a bad way, he was very negative). I'll try to find it, I think it was somewhere in the early 90's.

It's usually negative, even Guy and other DS members talk not good about that era. It was the start of the digital recordings and they were experimenting, it sounded great for that time, as it was cool, but years later they realised that it didn't sound that good, and they went back to analogue recordings, mixed with digital.

It annoys me when this early digital recording era is criticised.  That is not only evocative of the era but also extremely innovative too, and something DS with Neil Dorfsman were at the cutting edge in.  They should be proud of it.  I secretly think Guy is but pretends he isn't to promote the sonic quality of the most recent or upcoming album.

Totally agree. BIA is another example of a knopfler creation that in terms of sound is a whole little universe. We can argue about some of the songs, or arrangements, but the sound itself, like a soft fuzzy blanket still completely envelopes me.

Like you I think it's the best example of digital era recording and still stands up to scrutiny today....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »
Many years ago I read somewhere what Waters thought about the PF Gilmour-area: he said something like, it almost sounds like Dire Straits (in a bad way, he was very negative). I'll try to find it, I think it was somewhere in the early 90's.

It's usually negative, even Guy and other DS members talk not good about that era. It was the start of the digital recordings and they were experimenting, it sounded great for that time, as it was cool, but years later they realised that it didn't sound that good, and they went back to analogue recordings, mixed with digital.

It annoys me when this early digital recording era is criticised.  That is not only evocative of the era but also extremely innovative too, and something DS with Neil Dorfsman were at the cutting edge in.  They should be proud of it.  I secretly think Guy is but pretends he isn't to promote the sonic quality of the most recent or upcoming album.

Totally agree. BIA is another example of a knopfler creation that in terms of sound is a whole little universe. We can argue about some of the songs, or arrangements, but the sound itself, like a soft fuzzy blanket still completely envelopes me.

Like you I think it's the best example of digital era recording and still stands up to scrutiny today....
Listened to it again today. Still love it

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
There is a new connection, after Gilmour's "on an island" was partially recorded at British Grove Studios, and Danny Cummings played percussion in Gilmour 's "rattle that Lock", now John Mccusker...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:54:14 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 03:26:16 PM »
There is a new connection, John Mccusker...
Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 39 queries.