Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Early Bird?  (Read 90029 times)

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
Re: Early Bird?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 01:47:11 PM »
I don't want to defend MK here at all, but I'm sure this comes from the record companies. I'm not sure if PC is involved in those decisions.

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »
Just from GF forum:

Early Bird?
Nigel Dignum
Norwich. England.

1st September 2009
Q
Hi Guy. Just found out that if you buy 'Get Lucky' on itunes, you get a 12th track titled 'Early Bird', but it's not on the 'Deluxe Box Set' amongst the 3 bonus tracks. Would the Dr, please shed any light on this track, and any chance if you know if it maybe a 'hidden track' on one of the box set cd's. Cheers Nigel BBB     

A
It does indeed exist, one of my favourite tracks of the sessions...a wonderful, unusual work of brilliant MK satire.... Doubtless an iTunes bonus track

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »
I don't want to defend MK here at all, but I'm sure this comes from the record companies. I'm not sure if PC is involved in those decisions.

I'm quite certain that no tracks are released without MK's express permission.

He talks the talk on these things - I remember when the MK Strat came out he said that he wanted them to release a cheaper, Mexican version for people who couldn't afford the full version, still waiting for that one six years later - but he's really not walking the walk.  :-\
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Rollergirl

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 02:13:21 PM »
The tracks need his permission to be released, but how they are released is not up to him, I agree with Martina (sorry  ;D)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »
The tracks need his permission to be released, but how they are released is not up to him, I agree with Martina (sorry  ;D)

Sorry, I do not believe this. I believe that MK has complete control over how his music is released. At the very least I am sure he could veto these releases if he wanted to.

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »
I love this song, the melody, the lyrics, wowowoowowow, can't wait to hear the whole version!!!!!!!!!

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »
I'm sure MK does not know the release strategy, this is a marketing thing. And we all know already that MK is not interested in those things at all...ask PC. Do you want his email?

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:38:11 PM by pjh3121 »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
I remember in the straits days that the band did support the recording cost of OES allowing them to have full control over the finished product.

Then when STP was out, the UK version got an extra track to prevent UK customers from buying it at cheaper price oversea.

After that the Crowfly release, Mark told that they would be without copy limitation and we got a beautiful DRMised version instead (and after my first and only copy to CD, unexpectably my number left decreased from 10 to only 6 remaining).

And now the cherrish on the cake. Strange for someone who like to control his work to let the record company do these.

Our only power is to boycott all the GL release and let Mark and his management know why some of his fan are pissed off  >:(
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »
I'm sure MK does not know the release strategy, this is a marketing thing. And we all know already that MK is not interested in those things at all...ask PC. Do you want his email?

Not really, I'm quite certain he wouldn't reply.

So Martina, you honestly believe that MK just says "OK, here's the album. Oh by the way, I've got four extra tracks that didn't make it, release them somehow if you want." ?

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »

Our only power is to boycott all the GL release and let Mark and his management know why some of his fan are pissed off  >:(

It won't help to boycott. If we will boycot this album then by the next album there will be less released then is now. In the end we all will get our hands on all the bonustracks. Maybe on singles or maybe an extra release like we had with The Trawlerman's song EP.

I agree with Martina that this is only a marketing trick and this is too bad it happens. But this has nothing to do with MK himself.
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »
Mind you - here we are worried about the four extra tracks when all the time they could well be yet more pleasantly pedestrian folk that you could hear in any Irish theme pub on an accoustic night, if GL and KTGC are anything to go by.

So,  they might not even be worth troubling with  ;).

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »
Mind you - here we are worried about the four extra tracks when all the time they could well be yet more pleasantly pedestrian folk that you could hear in any Irish theme pub on an accoustic night, if GL and KTGC are anything to go by.

So,  they might not even be worth troubling with  ;).

lol

I'm not serious about boycotting anything (except the box set and the iTunes song, if it involves buying the whole album again in a lossy format), but Jeroen, how can yu say this has nothing to do with MK? How do you know?

Surely the issues over the last few years around videotaping and official live relases have shown that MK is very much in control of what is released in his name.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 03:07:30 PM »
Regarding the track itself, I've just heard it (thanks Phil!). A brief snippet, but it seems to me that it's about gangster rappers, and making a link with the slave trade of black people in the past?

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »

but Jeroen, how can yu say this has nothing to do with MK? How do you know?

Surely the issues over the last few years around videotaping and official live relases have shown that MK is very much in control of what is released in his name.

I think that management and record company decide what songs will be on the album and where the other songs will be.
Sure Mark is in control off what will be released but the record company is in control of making as much money as possible.

So if you buy the Deluxe version because of the extra's, the iTunes because of "Early Bird" and a single cd for in your car, the marketing machine has worked.

They suceed in making as much money as possible from you. And that's just because you are a fan and want to have it all. Don't you?
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 40 queries.