Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Happy 60th birthday Guy!  (Read 2079 times)

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
Happy 60th birthday Guy!
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:17:59 PM »
On Sunday May 24th, Guy will be 60! Marks extremely loyal friend, keyboard player and producer. Many times I have heard a song and wondered “was this his idea?”, “How much do they influence each other musically?” I can only guess, but it is obvious they do. When listening to Marks BG broadcast, you can hear they have a lot of the same taste in music. 

Thanks to all of Guys diaries and forum, I *could* know more about the technical stuff, but for me the diaries are more about life on the road and their personalities. When on tour, we pretty much know what they to and where they are, thanks to Guy. We know more about Mark, thanks to Guy.
Not least is the man incredibly kind, sweet and patient. Happy birthday Guy!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Happy 60th birthday Guy!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »
A lot of us have different opinions about Guy, I often talk about him not so nicely, but of course he has the taste, the skills, and the ears. Mark said he work with Guy for so long because they never had a single argument. This might be a clue on why their partnership lasts more than some marriages lol! I believe the best relationships are relationships based on respect. They seem to have an unlimited mutual respect with Mark and that's surely impressive. I wish to everyone to win a friend who will trust you so much. And I wish nothing for Guy, because the man literally is the luckiest guy in the world :lol

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »
A lot of us have different opinions about Guy, I often talk about him not so nicely, but of course he has the taste, the skills, and the ears. Mark said he work with Guy for so long because they never had a single argument. This might be a clue on why their partnership lasts more than some marriages lol! I believe the best relationships are relationships based on respect. They seem to have an unlimited mutual respect with Mark and that's surely impressive. I wish to everyone to win a friend who will trust you so much. And I wish nothing for Guy, because the man literally is the luckiest guy in the world :lol
same feelings  :thumbsup

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:20:43 AM »
Guy has the not very enjoyable place of being in contact with the fans for MK. The only "interface". He is too loyal to MK to voice any disagreement with him and he takes all the BS coming Mark's way. So of course he has to be conventional and predictable and boot-licker to some extend and sometimes even a bit hypocrite.
But I'm sure we have him to thank for very unMarklike things like "Silvertown" in the last tour's setlist (arguably odd in the song selection). Guy must have vouched for the song for the fans who have been asking for it for 20 years, or maybe MK still reads Guy's site from time to time. 
MK knows too well what he wants for anybody to have a profound impact on his decisions. He has mellowed over the year, letting his musos have more and more input but he seems pretty much in control of the whole process so Guy cannot do much. 
Guy has to be the most patient man, he has kept compiling diaries, answering repetitive questions, keeping us up to date with the same unflinching efficiency!
Hats off to him for that, and a happy birthday then!

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:06:20 PM »
Chatted to him a few times at his Bluesclub gigs. He keeps doing them locally to me. You couldn’t meet a nicer chap.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 03:51:00 PM »
Chatted to him a few times at his Bluesclub gigs. He keeps doing them locally to me. You couldn’t meet a nicer chap.

Wholeheartedly agree, having met and chatted with Guy a few times, he is indeed the nicest chap you could meet! All the very best wishes for a happy birthday....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »

Wholeheartedly agree, having met and chatted with Guy a few times, he is indeed the nicest chap you could meet! All the very best wishes for a happy birthday....

Pity in the internet we're all quite different. I'm sure if I'd ever met Guy like you guys, I would have a completely different picture about him. I'm 100% sure he's cool.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 08:09:16 PM »

Pity in the internet we're all quite different. I'm sure if I'd ever met Guy like you guys, I would have a completely different picture about him. I'm 100% sure he's cool.

That's the problem with social media/internet, people are usually very different to how they come across on these mediums.....
Guy is as you deduce, 100% friendly and so very approachable...
He said to my wife after she thanked him for signing our Tracker programme at Chalke Valley, that's what I'm out here for! Implying he was out in  public and was more than happy to engage!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 08:33:53 PM »
"........and he`s all around a good guy".
I remember Mark saying this when introducing Guy Fletcher to the audience (I forgot which concert it was)
and I guess he is right.

Happy Birthday and many more to come, Guy!
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 37 queries.