Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any Kemper users here  (Read 5978 times)

OfflineRockdown Lockstar

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Any Kemper users here
« on: June 02, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »
Hi everyone, Just wondering if any of the guitar players here are using Kemper and if there are any suggestions for MK style profiles?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Any Kemper users here
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »
There may not be many Kemper users here, but surely there are many Kemper haters :lol

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 04:20:29 PM »
Hi everyone, Just wondering if any of the guitar players here are using Kemper and if there are any suggestions for MK style profiles?

Don't have 1 personally but the quality is high, more or less like the fractal audio axefx 2-3 or ax8 or fm3, basically a 9/10 compared to a real 10/10 tube amp, but you have plenty of amps and effects and options into just 1 machine

Frankly the best advice is to work on it and adapt it to your ears
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineRockdown Lockstar

• Guitar George
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 10:38:06 AM »
Im surprised there isn't more Kemper lover here, especially with MK using them and personally I thought that was his best live sound since the Soldano days

I now use mine exclusively after years of using valve amps, including Soldano and cant see why I would ever go back.

Ah well, I assumed there may be a bank of MK type tones floating around here.

Big fan though so i'll be sticking around and may even share the odd cover if that's ok

OfflineRockdown Lockstar

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 10:50:13 AM »
BTW if anyone is interested I bought this Money for nothing profile this morning, which claims to be the best available.
Im still waiting for it to be emailed but thought it sounded very close, the guy is a pro and can play it much better than I can but if it sounds the same i'll be happy  ;D

https://www.mark-abrahams.com/money-for-nothing-kemper-profile

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »
Im surprised there isn't more Kemper lover here, especially with MK using them and personally I thought that was his best live sound since the Soldano days

I now use mine exclusively after years of using valve amps, including Soldano and cant see why I would ever go back.

Big fan though so i'll be sticking around and may even share the odd cover if that's ok

I'd love to try Kemper amp, but the thing is I just can't afford one, as well as a decent guitar to go along with it, and I think this is the only reason there are not so many Kemper lovers here

Also, Mark is not exactly famous for his settings, for this Money For Nothing tone he got lucky with a seemingly "wrong" configuration of microphone placement and somebody suggested using a fixed WAH pedal in it. So it's trial and error, more so than for some other guitar players, whee you can dial in exactly THE sound. The exact delay duration for Hank Marvin, the exact pedal configuration for Gilmour, the exact phase/pickup configuration for B. May, you name it...

In Mark's sound, to me, the configuration is like this: play real good, use really good guitar and a really good amp, get a little bit close to the desired sound, but not too much.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 02:15:10 PM »
BTW if anyone is interested I bought this Money for nothing profile this morning, which claims to be the best available.
Im still waiting for it to be emailed but thought it sounded very close, the guy is a pro and can play it much better than I can but if it sounds the same i'll be happy  ;D

https://www.mark-abrahams.com/money-for-nothing-kemper-profile

Seems an excellent MFN profile
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »

a Kemper is an excellent product if you are an amateur or a semi-pro

if you are a god like MK it's just ridiculous he is using it live, I have seen him live in all tours since 1992 included
and the last 2019 tour was by far the worst for his own guitar sound

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »
a Kemper is an excellent product if you are an amateur or a semi-pro

if you are a god like MK it's just ridiculous he is using it live, I have seen him live in all tours since 1992 included
and the last 2019 tour was by far the worst for his own guitar sound

I agree. It was a horrible mistake to take the Kemper on tour. I was on the market for one but still had doubts. Everyone I knew that had one, eventually came back to real amps. When I read MK used it on tour, I was excited and couldn't wait to hear it live. He is the gold standard for guitar tones. I wrote in my Amsterdam review as well; it sounded like shit. From the first minute, I could hear it didn't come close to a real amp.

It doesn't breathe; it does not have enough dynamics, and that 'DI-sound' really articulated he wasn't in shape for most of the first part of the tour. A real amp would have covered that a bit more.

I praise MK for being so progressive and always trying new things. Maybe I expected too much from it, and that's where MK shines, he uses it to create sounds he can't make with real amps, he uses it as a new tool rather than a replacement. Once you accept that, it makes listening to the soundboard records much easier.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 12:37:15 PM »
I didn't like any of the guitar sounds from last tour, too noisy for me.

There is nothing like a real thing, despite being close to it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 11:06:43 PM »
I didn't attend any of the 2019 shows, but on all the recordings I heard I thought the guitar sound wasn't very good. There was a harshness to it.

The only practical reason I can see is that it ensures consistency. You'll get the same sound and tone every night. Tube amps can be a bit fickle and vary in sound from one day to the next. That said, Mark has always had great sound, and he has a full-time tech with him who makes sure everything is in working order. Why fix things if they ain't broken?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 11:34:46 PM »
I didn't attend any of the 2019 shows, but on all the recordings I heard I thought the guitar sound wasn't very good. There was a harshness to it.

The only practical reason I can see is that it ensures consistency. You'll get the same sound and tone every night. Tube amps can be a bit fickle and vary in sound from one day to the next. That said, Mark has always had great sound, and he has a full-time tech with him who makes sure everything is in working order. Why fix things if they ain't broken?

For the same reason they tour with a grand piano shell, but not with an actual grand piano I guess. Because it cost less than the number of people who can spot the difference, they even recorded that "fake" piano on live albums. Guy wanted or already switched to Hammond XK3 which is the digital version of Hammond B3 with a Leslie cabinet. And it sounds simply mind blowing! If it was Guy who insisted the Kemper transition, I pretty much with him on that bus.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 11:46:14 PM »
I mean the technology jumps faster and faster each year, I remember watching this vid and being absolutely amazed about it. And it was 10 years ago! The technology gets better and better, we've come a long way from shitty MIDI and synthesisers to the emulation which is so close to the real thing most of the people can't spot it at all.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
I mean the technology jumps faster and faster each year, I remember watching this vid and being absolutely amazed about it. And it was 10 years ago! The technology gets better and better, we've come a long way from shitty MIDI and synthesisers to the emulation which is so close to the real thing most of the people can't spot it at all.

Quite an evolution since the synclavier
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 10:59:05 AM »
Too bad for Glenn who just had lost its job with the 96'rs ;D
Now Guy can do the same for half the price.

Quite an evolution since the synclavier
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.