Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any Kemper users here  (Read 6063 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Any Kemper users here
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »
Too bad for Glenn who just had lost its job with the 96'rs ;D
Now Guy can do the same for half the price.

I mean the technology jumps faster and faster each year, I remember watching this vid and being absolutely amazed about it. And it was 10 years ago! The technology gets better and better, we've come a long way from shitty MIDI and synthesisers to the emulation which is so close to the real thing most of the people can't spot it at all.

Quite an evolution since the synclavier

Guy says frequently about the NHB record that despite he did the bass and drums with the synclavier and it sounded good, nothing sounds like the real thing...

Actually, if you check the recording diaries, specially the one from "KTGC", he recorded drums and bass himself but using the real instruments on the demos before the musicians come the studio.

There are some songs in MK records that have Guy's real bass as apparently Glenn said it was ok, "Redbud tree" is one of them, I think there are some others in Tracker that I can't remember.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Any Kemper users here
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 12:00:34 PM »
Too bad for Glenn who just had lost its job with the 96'rs ;D
Now Guy can do the same for half the price.

I mean the technology jumps faster and faster each year, I remember watching this vid and being absolutely amazed about it. And it was 10 years ago! The technology gets better and better, we've come a long way from shitty MIDI and synthesisers to the emulation which is so close to the real thing most of the people can't spot it at all.

Quite an evolution since the synclavier

Guy says frequently about the NHB record that despite he did the bass and drums with the synclavier and it sounded good, nothing sounds like the real thing...

Actually, if you check the recording diaries, specially the one from "KTGC", he recorded drums and bass himself but using the real instruments on the demos before the musicians come the studio.

There are some songs in MK records that have Guy's real bass as apparently Glenn said it was ok, "Redbud tree" is one of them, I think there are some others in Tracker that I can't remember.

It all depends on what you're working on, most drums and bass samples are so common and so easy to reproduce, that even "a fake" can easily slip through your personal "real thing filter", but when we talk about things like unique touch, unique sound, try to emulate that. Try to play "Money For Nothing" riff with samples, it will sound like a kid trying to learn the riff :lol

I think sampling and modelling is the future of music anyway because both usually not synthesised at all. The 10-year-old video I posted earlier showcases a double bass, sampled 21,000 times, it's the "real deal" recorded with hundreds of amplitudes, types of attacks, mutes, slides, legatos, pull-offs and whatnot. And recorded in a professional recording studio, like all real deals are. Modelling also often incorporates recorded samples and things, it's not all about 100% digitalization.

Speaking of which, my favourite argument when discussing digital vs. analog (all Kemper discussions lead to this I guess), is that if you take a photo shot on film and then transfer it into the computer, you can still feel the "magic" of it and you can still tell immediately that this picture was taken on film. I'm not going to tell that the whole "magic of film" is merely the process of preparing the film, so you sort of take a picture with an Instagram filter, if you know what I mean. So it's more about physics, which you can emulate. The same thing with transferring tape and vinyl into the digital domain, I think most of the qualities remain intact.

And it's like sunlight. Seems like nothing can replace the sun, right? But sunlight is still just light, take the right amount of right lamps and you'll replace THE SUN. So if you can replace even this, you can replace a buzzing and hissing amp.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 36 queries.