Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Another version of So Far Away from the OES tour  (Read 3995 times)

hunter

Re: Another version of So Far Away from the OES tour
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »
Mark is certainly at his peak during 91 - 96 tours on the guitar.

Whilst I do listen to OES shows a lot, alas for me the sound of the OES tour was a massive departure from that of the BIA tour and the Mandela gig. 

Having literally worn out the tape of the Mandela gig, particularly sections of EC's solos, to then hear the radio broadcast of Woburn Abbey was a bit of a shock.  People tend to focus on the Pedal Steel guitar which of course is a massive insertation, but I think the biggest change in sound was the approach to drums - clinical and formulaic.  Whilst I really appreciate Danny's percussion, that was the first thing that struck me when hearing Woburn Abbey, along with the drums which are functional but lack the raw emotion of Terry's playing.  Add that mix to a well behaved Phil Palmer and lashings of pedal steel at any opporunity and makes for a totally different flavour.

Can't agree there.  He was really struggling with ToL in the first leg on occasion and even when not it sound weak and tired with extra notes being added at the end to cover up the fact he didn't have the energy any more to sustain such a long and powerful solo.  Most of the time it sounded a real mess compared with the BIA solos which sounded effortless.  That is the real test.

Do you mean ToL or TR? I'd have thought TR is the more physically demanding of the two.

ToL.  I always thought when he played that it showed off his fluidity and had more improvisation as he was building up to the crescendo.  TR is really just a load of fast stuff.

Right.

I actually never liked the improvised parts of ToL that much. Well, on a good day, he pulled off some great stuff, but on average I felt he was meandering a lot, even during the BIA tour.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 08:57:17 PM »
In terms of technique, speed, precision and fluidity that’s definitely Mark’s peak in my book. He remained impressive up to the SL tour though but after that his playing gradually went down. I can still appreciate the touch and the unique sound he still has though.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

hunter

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 10:20:25 PM »
In terms of technique, speed, precision and fluidity that’s definitely Mark’s peak in my book. He remained impressive up to the SL tour though but after that his playing gradually went down. I can still appreciate the touch and the unique sound he still has though.

I agree.

I'm curious what has caused his playing to deteriorate. Obviously ageing plays a part, but is it lack of practice (to focus on songwriting) or is it a physiological thing? Maybe both. He still has the touch though, so even if he can't to the "100m dash" or "somersaults" anymore, I still enjoy his playing.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 11:02:58 PM »
Ageing is a major factor for sure but I think the biggest problem is lack of passion. He clearly doesn’t enjoy playing solos anymore, SOS looked like he was being forced to play it. The solos were a huge mess, no connection, just a bunch of licks being thrown into the chord progressions. I’m sure he can still play it decently if he motivates himself to do so.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

hunter

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 11:34:15 PM »
Ageing is a major factor for sure but I think the biggest problem is lack of passion. He clearly doesn’t enjoy playing solos anymore, SOS looked like he was being forced to play it. The solos were a huge mess, no connection, just a bunch of licks being thrown into the chord progressions. I’m sure he can still play it decently if he motivates himself to do so.

Yes, I think he feels long (and especially flashy) solos are kind of pointless and take away from rather than add to the song. I think this is also reflected in most of the songs he plays in his British Grove broadcasts, and in his own solo albums of course.

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 04:13:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing this rarity!
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 42 queries.