Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: An amazing cover  (Read 2601 times)

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
An amazing cover
« on: July 07, 2020, 03:48:29 AM »
Usually when I come across a cover of Mark's songs on YT I cross my fingers before listening to it just because I pray the song hasn't been masacred lol
I don't want to offend the most purist and chauvinistic among us, but the work this band has done is worthy a listening, I don't know if it has been shared before here, but anyway, your opinion ?

If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: An amazing cover
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 10:16:15 AM »
Usually when I come across a cover of Mark's songs on YT I cross my fingers before listening to it just because I pray the song hasn't been masacred lol
I don't want to offend the most purist and chauvinistic among us, but the work this band has done is worthy a listening, I don't know if it has been shared before here, but anyway, your opinion ?

Yes, the full band covers usually suck beyond belief, because to do it really properly you need an infinite amount of money and, more importantly, am infinite amount of taste and skill to pull it off. Because usually, it's a one-man-band situation and we're not all ninjas of music with a black belt to play all the instruments like 50+ years experienced veterans on MK's record, including Mark himself and his engineers.

But this guy surely rocks. My only gripe is probably about vocals, for some reason, it's the hardest part of MK's covers to digest, especially if you're not a native speaker or singer for that matter. Look at myself or Martin, who's from Switzerland as far as my googling goes. But you can also hear that immediately. This is something that you can't possibly fix, so the only option is just to get on with it.

Apart from singing, obviously that's a very impressive and professional recording. Slap Mark's original vocals on "Floating Away" and it could easily pass on as a studio outtake, I love the arrangement and the absence of DJ scratches (I know it's a friction drum, but come on). I also love more prominent backing singers, would love to hear that on the actual record. Love the sax on "When You Leave". I'd say that — these covers are so good that I kinda forgive the accent. That's what I try to do with my videos as well, so I can understand. If you do something, do it good.

This is also a point, would be great to actually see the musicians perform, that way you can gain more recognition on YouTube. Even if it's a crappy GoPro recording. So my suggestion would be to record a video as well. But anyway, hats off to Martin Peter!

hunter

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 01:06:45 PM »
The music and playing are very good, but as quizzaciously said the vocals are the weak part. It's probably harder to nail Mark's vocals than his guitar playing, especially if you have a strong foreign accent. He'd be better off singing in his own voice and style. At least he didn't try to sound like Mark during the "60 cigarettes a day" years!

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 01:28:51 PM »
Personally, i loved his vocal.
Great covers..
 ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 01:47:04 PM »
All three songs were excellent.  Usually with cover bands the vocals irritate me, but this time I felt they were OK - I wouldn't have wanted them to try imitating MK vocals, for instance.   The sax was great too.   :thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »
All three songs were excellent.  Usually with cover bands the vocals irritate me, but this time I felt they were OK - I wouldn't have wanted them to try imitating MK vocals, for instance.   The sax was great too.   :thumbsup

Now I feel bad for bringing up the topic of vocals :lol

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 03:43:55 PM »
I agree, not being native speaker doesn't actually help, the funny thing is when you hear a cover song you realise how good Mark's songs are and that he's a great arranger.

I loved the Saxophone on Just a boy away from home and the way he plays the lead guitar on Floating away, a good cooking, it's just right.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:05:14 AM »

Dont feel like that :-)    MK´s vocal has never been the best anyway. Lets be honest. MK is a brilliant songwriter, storyteller, guitarist, founder, studioowner and many other things. His vocals are ok, but lets be real, they are not the greatest by any means.
You cannot have it all  :)

Cheers Peter

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 10:18:46 AM »
I agree, not being native speaker doesn't actually help, the funny thing is when you hear a cover song you realise how good Mark's songs are and that he's a great arranger.

I loved the Saxophone on Just a boy away from home and the way he plays the lead guitar on Floating away, a good cooking, it's just right.

I've studied around 100 of Mark's songs under the microscope and I got to say, that you have to be an absolute perfectionist to pull off something like one of his songs. Each time you try to recreate something from his repertoire, you usually stop after trying recreating a guitar part, and this is something that seems easy, but it's not. And on top of that, you have top-class musicians playing on the back, all recorded flawlessly. I mean, to get the quality of the sound of "Just A Boy Away From Home" you have to be an absolute master of your craft, no matter what Mark says. Each time I deconstruct one of Mark's songs my jaw finds itself on the floor because of the sheer brilliancy of each recording. Let alone writing something like this!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 10:19:37 AM »

Dont feel like that :-)    MK´s vocal has never been the best anyway. Lets be honest. MK is a brilliant songwriter, storyteller, guitarist, founder, studioowner and many other things. His vocals are ok, but lets be real, they are not the greatest by any means.

No, MK's vocals aren't the best, but they are perfect for his music, especially his guitar-playing.   I love his voice, anyway.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »

No, MK's vocals aren't the best, but they are perfect for his music, especially his guitar-playing.   I love his voice, anyway.   :)

Well... Yes and no. Yes, Mark is not a crooner or something, certainly not a singer in the traditional meaning of the term. Yes, when he was young he sounded like Bob Dylan, which is not a compliment for a singer. No, is that he has rich and powerful baritone, and sometimes he sings amazingly good ("The Lily Of The West" and "Restless Farewell" comes to mind from the top of my head). Funny that these two examples come not from Mark's own albums, but from side projects. He seems to write easy parts to sing for himself, but then sings like an angel on other people's records. That's so funny.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 04:54:48 PM »

Well... Yes and no. Yes, Mark is not a crooner or something, certainly not a singer in the traditional meaning of the term. Yes, when he was young he sounded like Bob Dylan, which is not a compliment for a singer. No, is that he has rich and powerful baritone, and sometimes he sings amazingly good ("The Lily Of The West" and "Restless Farewell" comes to mind from the top of my head). Funny that these two examples come not from Mark's own albums, but from side projects. He seems to write easy parts to sing for himself, but then sings like an angel on other people's records. That's so funny.

I think Mark's Achilles' heel has always been the stage, studio vocal recordings get special "treatment" as opposed to live performance where you have to play live, fortunately he quit smoking a long time ago.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »

I totally agree with you. Mark has a very distinctive voice that matches perfectly with his guitar playing.
First comes his playing, second comes his voice. To me it couldn`t be better.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 41 queries.