Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A ‘new’ set on CD and vinyl of all the DS studio albums  (Read 13869 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: A ‘new’ set on CD and vinyl of all the DS studio albums
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2020, 09:20:13 AM »
I've just checked the price of the vinyl box on Amazon and they're asking £400 pre order!

I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Very disappointing....

That's not the release price of the vinyl box. That's the price of a box of the first release, that happened two or three (maybe more) years ago and got out of print, hence that price.

The new release, which is a reissue of that box would be around 100 pounds.

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineandyknopfler

• Guitar George
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »
sad that they couldnt release Alchemy, On The Night and Live At The BBC on vinyl also especially On The Night and BBC they are hard to find and expensive so they need a reissue in fact. and when will we see whole Alchemy with all the songs. hope they will release something more funny live so we dont need these bootlegs with Oslo gig, Basel, San Francisco for the 100000000000000. time

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »
sad that they couldnt release Alchemy, On The Night and Live At The BBC on vinyl also especially On The Night and BBC they are hard to find and expensive so they need a reissue in fact. and when will we see whole Alchemy with all the songs. hope they will release something more funny live so we dont need these bootlegs with Oslo gig, Basel, San Francisco for the 100000000000000. time

They won't never leave a fan doing the job so what can we hope for ?

I am almost 100% pessimistic about both Alchemy and On The Night being extended with unreleased stuff.

Most probable unreleased stuff to see the light will be TV and/or radio recording. But before that, the rights have to been cleared and sometimes you never reach the deal.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 08:25:12 PM »
sooooooo boring. no extra's, just repackaged in a box. really sad record company effort.

Agree, again and again, They're going to milk the cow as much as they can...
That old cow, she wasn’t milkin’ anyhow...

The original 80s cds sound best and can be bought cheap second hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 10:42:39 PM »
I've just checked the price of the vinyl box on Amazon and they're asking £400 pre order!

Very disappointing....

That's not the release price of the vinyl box. That's the price of a box of the first release, that happened two or three (maybe more) years ago and got out of print, hence that price.

Thanks Jbaent, I realised that shortly afterwards.

Still seems a lot of cash for 6 albums that I already own in multiple formats including vinyl!

I went on discogs and priced up the albums individually in mint condition and you could buy all 6 on 180gsm vinyl for about £70.

Offlinerelaxcoustic

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 12:25:16 AM »
I have a question. How come the video footage of the Basel concert isn’t up on youtube? How??

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 12:53:55 AM »
I have a question. How come the video footage of the Basel concert isn’t up on youtube? How??

Simple... It was blocked. We had this bootleg on our channel Mark Knopfler Russia, but it got blocked permanently. Nimes, however, is not blocked :lol A lot of videos get blocked, that's the reality of it. And it's actually not a bad thing, as long as the team working on it do a great job. Team working with Mark makes sure to clean up all the internet of all the unofficial uploads and replace it with uploads on Mark's official youtube channel. But since Basel is technically a bootleg, not an official release, it just got blocked.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 07:24:30 AM »
basel was a tv recording, so not more unofficial then any of the others no?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 08:27:06 AM »

Simple... It was blocked. We had this bootleg on our channel Mark Knopfler Russia, but it got blocked permanently. Nimes, however, is not blocked :lol A lot of videos get blocked, that's the reality of it. And it's actually not a bad thing, as long as the team working on it do a great job. Team working with Mark makes sure to clean up all the internet of all the unofficial uploads and replace it with uploads on Mark's official youtube channel. But since Basel is technically a bootleg, not an official release, it just got blocked.

There is something more... It got blocked because apparently "Eagle rock" has the rights of DS BAsel 92.... Eagle Rock has released a lot of dvds of many artists like The Rolling Stones, Toto, Eric Clapton and many many more ( https://www.eagle-rock.com/artists ). The strange thing is that DS is not in their artists list. but when Unlimited tried to upload the "IA" version of Basel 92 to youtube it got blocked saying Eagle Rock had the rights of it.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 08:28:36 AM »

Very disappointing....

Still seems a lot of cash for 6 albums that I already own in multiple formats including vinyl!

I went on discogs and priced up the albums individually in mint condition and you could buy all 6 on 180gsm vinyl for about £70.

These are 180 gr vinyls, remastered from the masters. BIA and OES come as double vinyl set, so what you did on discogs doesn't apply as comparation.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »

Very disappointing....

These are 180 gr vinyls, remastered from the masters. BIA and OES come as double vinyl set, so what you did on discogs doesn't apply as comparation.

Sorry but you're incorrect.

These are the remasters.

All 6 remastered albums are available through discogs on 180 gram vinyl including the double versions of BIA and OES in mint condition for £73 including p&p.

You seem to have missed my point, given that many of us have these already if you're after just one or 2 of the albums on high quality vinyl then this is a far better way to get them rather than shelling out for something many of us already own multiple times.

If there was anything rare, new, or unreleased in the box then it would be a completely different discussion and well worth having. In fact I've bought all of Marks solo box sets as there worth it from a collector's point of view. This 'new' box set, it's just a money making exercise....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2020, 11:09:29 AM »

These are the remasters.

All 6 remastered albums are available through discogs on 180 gram vinyl including the double versions of BIA and OES in mint condition for £73 including p&p.

You seem to have missed my point, given that many of us have these already if you're after just one or 2 of the albums on high quality vinyl then this is a far better way to get them rather than shelling out for something many of us already own multiple times.

If there was anything rare, new, or unreleased in the box then it would be a completely different discussion and well worth having. In fact I've bought all of Marks solo box sets as there worth it from a collector's point of view. This 'new' box set, it's just a money making exercise....

From my experience, boxes like that usually go out as a gift to "somebody" who loves music or possibly showed affection towards MK's music one day, of course, that's not a thing for a fan. Or is it? I'm a fan, and all I own is a Tracker box set which was gifted to me, the vinyl version of The Ragpicker's Dream, a signed CD version of Sailing to Philadelphia which was a gift and a vinyl version of Dire Straits debut album, which I bought to test my vinyl player. So for a guy like me, this box set may be tempting, as long as I was an audiophile or a record collector. Which I'm not.

So yeah, posters.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »

Very disappointing....

These are the remasters.

Sorry, you are right.

Actually the only thing they do is to pack all of them in a nice box, but without any other content. It is just something for collectors really, or to people who doesn't have any of the vinyls and here they have their chance.

I rather have an extra vinyl with aditional material, but... that's "what it is"  ;D

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2020, 08:07:25 PM »

There is something more... It got blocked because apparently "Eagle rock" has the rights of DS BAsel 92.... Eagle Rock has released a lot of dvds of many artists like The Rolling Stones, Toto, Eric Clapton and many many more ( https://www.eagle-rock.com/artists ). The strange thing is that DS is not in their artists list. but when Unlimited tried to upload the "IA" version of Basel 92 to youtube it got blocked saying Eagle Rock had the rights of it.

Eagle Rock Entertainment is the world-leading producer and distributor of music documentary and concert films. Founded in 1997, our multi-award-winning company creates over 50 productions a year and distributes over 2,000 hours of music programming. [...] Eagle is a Universal Music Group company, and is headquartered in London.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 08:42:07 PM »

Eagle Rock Entertainment is the world-leading producer and distributor of music documentary and concert films. Founded in 1997, our multi-award-winning company creates over 50 productions a year and distributes over 2,000 hours of music programming. [...] Eagle is a Universal Music Group company, and is headquartered in London.

I encourage someone to rewatch the show, maybe it has a part of a song that was really owned by "Eagle rock"? I remember on one of the bootlegs in the intro there was a song which was not DS, kind of like the Alchemy with The Drifters. So "Eagle rock" could block the video because of that. If somewhere, even for a one second, there's a Blocker's Song, the video will be blocked.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 38 queries.