Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Great North Run with Going Home on Sunday  (Read 10037 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Great North Run with Going Home on Sunday
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 08:44:24 PM »

Gibson Les Paul guitar is notorious for its various and constant issues. When I hear all these great musicians dealing with this guitar perfectly I always think they should be happy because they always have a guitar tech around to deal with this guitar. When I had a Les Paul, it was a nightmare. Tuning instability, always lubricating the nut and the saddle, harder restringing procedures, the guitar itself is unbalanced and heavy. I mean Les Paul guitar is like a giant mansion or a really beautiful woman — cool to have, but you have to deal with unexpected problems and also, for a house analogy, owe a multimillion property tax to the government lol.

I think you may have a point here. But my fake Les Paul stays in tune perfectly, but is still quite heavy. Lovin' the tone though.

Honestly, your fake Les Paul may be of better quality than the real deal :lol

Gibson does it better nowadays, but in the time I owned a Les Paul, the company went absolutely nuts. The quality was bad beyond belief, you could buy a Custom Shop true historic whatever Les Paul and still needed a re-check of everything, redoing electronics and such. The quality was incoisistent, there were snags in the wood, bad paintjob, questionable materials, questionable electronics. I'll think 1000 times the next time I'll want a Gibson Les Paul :lol

I know that because I know a good guitar tech in Moscow and he goes through thousands of guitars every year, doing fretjobs and whatnot. And in his social network feed is an unbeliveable amount of Gibsons with an aubeliveable amount of ridiculous fails in all the price range.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:46:54 PM by quizzaciously »

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2020, 01:09:57 AM »
Haha, he just posted yet another brand new Gibson that was brought to him for repair. So no, they still make American made and American priced guitars that features Korean-like build quality. I love that company... And it’s the same company that makes insanely good acoustic guitars. Go figure...

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2020, 05:21:06 PM »

Gibson Les Paul guitar is notorious for its various and constant issues. When I hear all these great musicians dealing with this guitar perfectly I always think they should be happy because they always have a guitar tech around to deal with this guitar. When I had a Les Paul, it was a nightmare. Tuning instability, always lubricating the nut and the saddle, harder restringing procedures, the guitar itself is unbalanced and heavy. I mean Les Paul guitar is like a giant mansion or a really beautiful woman — cool to have, but you have to deal with unexpected problems and also, for a house analogy, owe a multimillion property tax to the government lol.

I think you may have a point here. But my fake Les Paul stays in tune perfectly, but is still quite heavy. Lovin' the tone though.

Gibson does it better nowadays, but in the time I owned a Les Paul, the company went absolutely nuts. The quality was bad beyond belief, you could buy a Custom Shop true historic whatever Les Paul and still needed a re-check of everything, redoing electronics and such. The quality was incoisistent, there were snags in the wood, bad paintjob, questionable materials, questionable electronics. I'll think 1000 times the next time I'll want a Gibson Les Paul :lol

I know that because I know a good guitar tech in Moscow and he goes through thousands of guitars every year, doing fretjobs and whatnot. And in his social network feed is an unbeliveable amount of Gibsons with an aubeliveable amount of ridiculous fails in all the price range.

in my understanding, guitars NEVER stays in tune.
Our ears are "trained" to hear the instrument in tune.  :P

Andy Timmons himself calls the tuner as 'the lier'

There some tools to help the guitar to tune, like Buzz Feiten System, Earvana Nuts or the True Temperament frets. The most strange is that almost all guitar players escapes from this tools because perfect tuned chords sounds terrible to his ears.

The reason why we guitarrists tends to use some sus chords or some chord inversions its because of the problems with the tuning from the guitar. Especially in the B and G strings.

Talking about Gibson Style Guitars tunning issues, the primary issue is that the neck is prepared to receive the wound G string. The plain G is softer and, because it is almost in the middle of the neck, cause more vibration and tends to be out of tune. High tension strings helps in the tunning stability.

My Les Paul never get his nut lubricated and "stays" in tune just fine.  ;D
My trick is to tune perfect 4th chords at the 3rd fret. The octave tuning needs to be a bit flat at the 15th fret.

And thts it. "Perfect" tune   8)

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2020, 08:08:39 PM »

There some tools to help the guitar to tune, like Buzz Feiten System, Earvana Nuts or the True Temperament frets. The most strange is that almost all guitar players escapes from this tools because perfect tuned chords sounds terrible to his ears.

The reason why we guitarrists tends to use some sus chords or some chord inversions its because of the problems with the tuning from the guitar. Especially in the B and G strings.

Talking about Gibson Style Guitars tunning issues, the primary issue is that the neck is prepared to receive the wound G string. The plain G is softer and, because it is almost in the middle of the neck, cause more vibration and tends to be out of tune. High tension strings helps in the tunning stability.

My trick is to tune perfect 4th chords at the 3rd fret. The octave tuning needs to be a bit flat at the 15th fret.

:thumbsup
sounds legit, a walk on a high wire if you like.
it takes practice over show off.
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2020, 08:42:46 PM »

:thumbsup
sounds legit, a walk on a high wire if you like.
it takes practice over show off.

not necessarily high wire. I use 10s in all my guitars.
Try to tune your perfect 4ths or 5ths, adjust the saddles to be a little bit flat at the end of the neck and thats it.

I hope it will help the Gibson lovers.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2020, 10:48:08 PM »
only few can cleave the rock in twain with the skin of their teeth
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 37 queries.