Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The British Grove Broadcast Transcript  (Read 7259 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: The British Grove Broadcast Transcript
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 11:55:57 AM »
I have really enjoyed listening to The British Grove Broadcast each week, because it has introduced me to lots of music that I would otherwise most probably have missed.   I must admit that not everything appeals to me, but there is certainly a great deal that I like a lot and have explored further, as in the case of The Galway Girl with Sharon Shannon and Steve Earle which led to me finding Sharon Shannon singing the same song with Mundy, which is great fun!

It is also a pleasure to hear Mark's speaking voice and to hear all the stories surrounding his choice of music too.

Thank you, Pavel, for the transcript, even though I don't really need it being an English person, but it is lovely to have the option of reading it anyway, especially when some words are unclear!   :)

I look forward to the next episode - if there is one!    :think

Why not? I think still many episodes are on the way because 250 songs to share is not too much :lol

I love hearing Mark's speaking voice, too, but the idea that I need to go through so many procedures just to listen to the episode, then sort out all the music, albums and such... That's so inconvenient, that I thought I would rather do a huge effort once, but won't be struggling anymore. Let alone most of the stories I just forgot, because it's so inconvenient. So I really glad that it helps.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
Currently I am analyzing episode 4. Peatbog Faeries ... I know why I am reminded of the album A Shot At Glory :D
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 01:57:26 PM »
"You might not have thought that Duke Ellington would have much connection to Dire Straits, but in the funny way he did"

incredible:)
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 02:07:03 PM »
Shove The Pig’s Foot A Little Bit Further Into The Fire − Bruce Molsky

Then you gotta listen to Oklahoma Ponies :)
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »
"You might not have thought that Duke Ellington would have much connection to Dire Straits, but in the funny way he did"

incredible:)

I got to say, as a guy who went through 3 hours of Mark talking — he really, really knows what he's talking about, the man is incredibly well-prepared. I only remember a couple of places out from all 21 episodes, that raised questions:

1. It's olny me or... I thought that Mark said "Phoebe BridgeS", not "Phoebe BridgeRS", but that of course is a ridiculous comment.

2. Mark said that when he was researching a song "Song For Sonny Liston", he found that Sonny's favourite song was "Night Train" and went to say that it was a version by King Curtis. But was it really King Curtis's version? I can't find anything about it. I always thought it was the James Brown one... That comment made me think that either Mark is extremely well-prepaired, or simply forgot to mention James Brown. Some people say Sonny was listening to "Night Train" before James Brown released this song, so that may be a clue towards not King Curtis version, but earlier ones. I guess this you can't answer without reading some books.

3. The sheer number of times Mark forgetting his own stuff. Never mentioned recording with Hank Marvin, never mentioned Dire Straits used Ennio Morricone's piece to walk on stage, can't remember a song he did with The Chieftains. Another day at work, I understand... :lol
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:59:16 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 09:40:28 PM »
Every week I can't wait to hear Mark's lovely voice on the radio introducing us to a lot of fantastic music/artists most of them I haven't heard before. And all of his stories are a pleasure to listen to. Like so many of you I've made my own playlist of the songs I like. And yes, Pavel, your transcription is very helpful, if there is anything I don't understand I can look it up now. Many, many thanks! I'm hoping that Mark will carry on with the radio show for a long time.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 09:50:28 PM »
Every week I can't wait to hear Mark's lovely voice on the radio introducing us to a lot of fantastic music/artists most of them I haven't heard before. And all of his stories are a pleasure to listen to. Like so many of you I've made my own playlist of the songs I like. And yes, Pavel, your transcription is very helpful, if there is anything I don't understand I can look it up now. Many, many thanks! I'm hoping that Mark will carry on with the radio show for a long time.

Well, Bob Dylan continued with his show for 3 years, clocking at 100 episodes. Not bad! And his shows were longer by 15 minutes, hence “Theme Radio Hour”. Knowing Mark, he’ll do at least 100 episodes, if not more. But I have to say, Mark has surpassed the teacher in this area, too. His show is richer, more interesting, more contemporary artists, stories are longer and more insightful. More than that, he speaks so clear that even a Russian guy can make a full transcription of the show. I don’t want to be the guy who would make the transcript of Bob Dylan’s show :lol

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
Thanks for the transcription Pavel, a few things I noticed:

1. Mark seems to really like The Beatles, it is something I would have expected from him, but it's not something I have heard from him directly in interviews, I know he has played a couple of John Lennon songs over the years, and mentioned in him in regards the writing of Rudiger, and that he knew George Harrison, and has played with Paul McCartney, don't know if he he met Ringo Starr or not, but I would guess he has.

2. The omission, so far, of a Chet Atkins track!! without re-reading it all again, I think I am correct it stating that? I know there are more episodes to come, but I would have thought Mark would have played some Chet Atkins by now, he has even mentioned him a few times already.

3. His affection for reggae, I never realised he was so into it, there are a couple of his songs you could say have a slight reggae rhythm, but I never associated Mark with that, that goes for the likes of Wyclef Jean too!!

4. No surprise to hear a lots of Bob Dylan, but it is interesting that a couple of the songs are from The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991 as this is an album of outtakes, rarities, alternative versions, etc. This is exactly what we want from Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, so if he likes it from other people, why is he, so far, against it?

5. He seems to have a liking for alternative/indie music, which again is a surprise, I don't get that influence in his songs, but then I suppose an artists can just like other genres of music without wanting to play or write in that style.

6. He has a strong affection for Jazz, which is something that is only really coming out in his songs over the last couple of albums, even though he has dipped in toe into it in the past.

7 The depth of is musical history knowledge is huge, he may have had to check a few things first, but you get the impression he knows his stuff, and it is amazing how much it spans, playing song from the 1920's, 1930's right up to now.

8. He seems to be really into Cajun too, which again is something he has tried a little bit of.

It really is a fascinating thing for Mark to be doing, it is like he is opening his musical box for everyone to hear and appreciate.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »
Great post qjamesfloyd... :wave :clap
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 11:38:24 AM »
Yeah, that's a great analysis you've got here qjamesfloyd! I can't resist adding some comments over yours, so bear with me.

1. Of course, The Beatles is like The Bible for musicians... And it's funny that "Eleanor Rigby" became the first time in the programme, where Mark got technical and started talking about chords. Because every musician what I know study these brilliant songs, you almost can't afford not to study them!

2. I think the omission of Chet Atkins is tied to the sheer amount of stuff he's done... I mean, apart from the fact that every track could be on the programme, he also produced a ton of brilliant songs, they also played together on an album. I don't know whether Mark is going to do themed episodes, but you certainly can make on entirely based on Chet!

3. The song "In The Gallery" probably has the most reggae-ish rhythm so far, also "Once Upon A Time In The West" come close, things like that. Got to say, I was a fan of reggae from as soon as I remember. I remember watching The Fifth Element when I was 8 or 9, and there was this scene where they would set-up a space shuttle for a flight, and there was cool reggae music. This is what reggae's for — for being cool...

4. My dream is for Mark to do a whole album filled with B-sides because he has a lot of them and they're all brilliant! But outtakes? I don't think he has a lot of outtakes really. With Mark being a perfectionist, the word that he's not a fan of, I strongly suspect most of the stuff that's not perfect just find its way into the bin.

5. Yeah, alternative/indie music these days is the source for good music, smaller bands, independent musician... I have to say, that alternative/indie is often just a box, most of the time it's still blues/folk/bluegrass musicians. As Mark said, finding a real thing is hard, but alternative/indie box is one of those places for sure!

6. Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaz. This is something I loved since I was born practically, I'm obsessed with jazz. So I'm happy every time Mark plays some swinging jazzy tunes! And yes, I hope to hear more of jazz from him. It's funny, when "Down The Road Wherever" was coming out on the Blue Note label, it gave the impression it'll have jazz feel on it. But nope, it was a classic Mark's album, but with a touch of jazz, yes. And it was always funny to me, that Mark has all those brilliant jazz musicians in his band, who can play virtually anything, and yet they all basically "strumming away" simple songs. Because the songs are so good they don't need anything more.

7. Mark is a happy guy, he has no daytime job all right. So he can research for a song for a month if he wanted to, so no surprise he read a lot about all the music and such :lol

8. I suppose, in that regard, Cajun music is just like reggae music, it's got coolness running before everything else, and it happens a lot with styles of music that sounds so distinctive. So you're not looking necessarily for the greatest musical experience here as much as for a setting up a mood.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »

Absolutely, I do agree with you!

This post (among others) is what makes this forum the best in the whole wide web, because you guys always go so deep into any issue and then come out with lots of interesting posts like the one from qjamesfloyd.  :clap It's always a pleasure to come back to this place!  :wave
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »

Lol, that was the scene I was talking about... I don't know what creature you need to be in order to NOT to be in love with reggae music, it's so cool!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 02:12:25 PM »

Absolutely, I do agree with you!

This post (among others) is what makes this forum the best in the whole wide web, because you guys always go so deep into any issue and then come out with lots of interesting posts like the one from qjamesfloyd.  :clap It's always a pleasure to come back to this place!  :wave

Thanks for your praise, very kind of you.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »
Particularly agree with point 4, and agree that MK is such a perfectionist that anything that has minor issues will have been binned.
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »
Particularly agree with point 4, and agree that MK is such a perfectionist that anything that has minor issues will have been binned.

Not so sure; it could be a different arrangement and not one with greenies, so being a perfectionist doesn't really come into it.  I doubt Mark would oversee the physical destruction of the tapes anyway.  ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.