Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sailing to Philadelphia was released 20 years ago  (Read 4128 times)

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Sailing to Philadelphia was released 20 years ago
« on: September 26, 2020, 09:50:28 AM »
Just wanted to celebrate this stunning record, though there's already a topic about the contest. I always keep coming back to this record, it has some of his best songs, and I love the record's sound. Personally, it's the gold standard for production, mixing, Strat, and LP sound. It's a life-changing record for me. I can clearly remember the release, the promo tour, and the tour where I first saw MK and his band. Great memories! I also loved the presskit. Who remembers that little Flash audio mixer where you could "mix" your own version of STP? I still have it somewhere. I wonder how MK feels about that record. He kept playing songs from it on later tours, and it's the era where he and Ed separated. Also his last tour before the accident.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Sailing to Philadelphia was released 20 years ago
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
Just wanted to celebrate this stunning record, though there's already a topic about the contest. I always keep coming back to this record, it has some of his best songs, and I love the record's sound. Personally, it's the gold standard for production, mixing, Strat, and LP sound. It's a life-changing record for me. I can clearly remember the release, the promo tour, and the tour where I first saw MK and his band. Great memories! I also loved the presskit. Who remembers that little Flash audio mixer where you could "mix" your own version of STP? I still have it somewhere. I wonder how MK feels about that record. He kept playing songs from it on later tours, and it's the era where he and Ed separated. Also his last tour before the accident.

Yes, the songwriting is phenomenal on STP. Lead single is one of the best songs ever recorded, title track is one of the best songs ever written, not bad. I even love the cover picture, so subtle, but cool. I love that it shows a plane “sailing” to Philadelphia.

The same man 18 years later will release an album “Down The Road Wherever” with a road on the cover...

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 11:32:35 AM »
And wonderful b-sides

The Long Higway
Let's See You
Camerado
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 12:53:27 AM »
here is my chronicle

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/mark-knopfler-sortait-son-deuxieme-album-solo-il-y-a-20-ans/

sorry it's in french, but I guess Google translation can make the job

I wil try to publish an english version of my site next year, but it's a lot of work

many thanks to Jbaent for compiling all tracks written and considered for the record

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
And wonderful b-sides

The Long Higway
Let's See You
Camerado

And also “Do America”.
For me it is one of his best solo albums

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
And wonderful b-sides

The Long Higway
Let's See You
Camerado

And also “Do America”.

Speaking of "Do America", I think ommiting the song "One More Matinee" and replacing it with "Do America" on certain releases was basically a crime...

We hate bonus track now, but in Sailing To Philadelphia they basically took out one of the best songs on the album and replaced it with a B-side.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »
And wonderful b-sides

The Long Higway
Let's See You
Camerado

And also “Do America”.

Speaking of "Do America", I think ommiting the song "One More Matinee" and replacing it with "Do America" on certain releases was basically a crime...

We hate bonus track now, but in Sailing To Philadelphia they basically took out one of the best songs on the album and replaced it with a B-side.
Thats why I am happy with the version of STP which contains both songs

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »
I have the single Silvertown Blues and B-side: Do America and I'm happy too :)
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 09:18:54 PM »
STP is one of his best solo work, but I still cannot believe why Mark dropped one of the most beautiful song he has ever written  "The Long Highway"  from the album.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
STP is one of his best solo work, but I still cannot believe why Mark dropped one of the most beautiful song he has ever written  "The Long Highway"  from the album.

Totally agree!!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 11:35:06 PM »

agree
the record company said that "one more matinee" was too much "british" for the US public, that's why they replaced it with Do America on the Warner release

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 11:47:25 PM »
here is my chronicle

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/mark-knopfler-sortait-son-deuxieme-album-solo-il-y-a-20-ans/

I wil try to publish an english version of my site next year, but it's a lot of work

many thanks to Jbaent for compiling all tracks written and considered for the record

Thank you very much JF:)
Clear as the day

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 02:44:55 AM »
here is my chronicle

Thank you very much JF:)

JF has an amazing blog out there, he did a great job, it's full of gems about Mark and Dire Straits, for a good and accurate translation I recommend DeepL : https://www.deepl.com/translator

I find it more relevant and accurate in the translations, especially when it comes to expressions and slang etc...
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »

agree
the record company said that "one more matinee" was too much "british" for the US public, that's why they replaced it with Do America on the Warner release

I think this was a stupid idea by the record company, and frankly an insult to the American record buying public, the first Dire Straits album had lots of references to London, but that didn't stop Americans buying it, Making Movies had Tunnel of Love with North East England locations, didn't stop Americans buying it, and so on, ironically, It's Mark himself that is into American music in a huge way, if this school of thought had applied when Mark was growing up, he would be a very different song writer now, and probably not as good a one as he is now!!! people enjoy hearing about new things, new references in songs, they are capable of finding out things for themselves, they don't need a record company to dictate that. I am British, but there are certain words Mark uses that I don't know the meaning of, but I can research it. If One More Matinee was considered to "British" for the US public, then does that mean a good half of the album is to be considered to "American" for the "British" (or any other country) public? of course not, more to the point, it was a silly marketing ploy.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »

agree

I think this was a stupid idea by the record company, and frankly an insult to the American record buying public, the first Dire Straits album had lots of references to London, but that didn't stop Americans buying it, Making Movies had Tunnel of Love with North East England locations, didn't stop Americans buying it, and so on, ironically, It's Mark himself that is into American music in a huge way, if this school of thought had applied when Mark was growing up, he would be a very different song writer now, and probably not as good a one as he is now!!! people enjoy hearing about new things, new references in songs, they are capable of finding out things for themselves, they don't need a record company to dictate that. I am British, but there are certain words Mark uses that I don't know the meaning of, but I can research it. If One More Matinee was considered to "British" for the US public, then does that mean a good half of the album is to be considered to "American" for the "British" (or any other country) public? of course not, more to the point, it was a silly marketing ploy.

100% agree

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 36 queries.