Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark and Pick  (Read 1427 times)

Onlineherlock

• Juliet
Mark and Pick
« on: October 25, 2020, 09:13:27 PM »
Hi all,

Pick Withers has a new Facebook account where he is quite chatty.

A lot of us wonder how his relationship with Mark. He really never spoke about this, neither cheerfully nor bitterly.
Well listening to his 2-hour interview I felt some sadness about him getting "marginalized", but no bitterness against Mark, whom he does not seem to blame. And today I found this on his FB account, showing that back in 1980 Mark was rather caring, and canceled a few concerts to allow him some time after the birth of his first child, earlier than expected. Mark was human after all ! :) Here is the text:

It was about 11 pm, the night before the band left for Belgium and Holland for two weeks.  It was the last tour before I had our first baby and I had six weeks to go.  We all decided that stopping touring a month before the baby was due would be fine.  However, Lucille, our first born, had other ideas.  She decided it was time to come into the world that night!  All I could think of on the way to the hospital was ‘what about the tour!’  Whilst I was in the labour room having her, Mark telephoned the hospital and talked to me when I was laying  there, telling me not to worry about the tour as he probably knew I would be mortified at them having to cancel.  The road crew had driven from England in the truck for ages to get to the first hotel in Belgium and as soon as they arrived, they received a message saying ‘Linda having baby.  Turn round and come home!’    The next day, I received so many flowers in the hospital from various agents, record company execs, promoters etc., I took them round the hospital and decorated all the wards with them as there were too many to fit in my room!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Mark and Pick
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 09:54:35 PM »
Hi all,

A lot of us wonder how his relationship with Mark. He really never spoke about this, neither cheerfully nor bitterly.
Well listening to his 2-hour interview I felt some sadness about him getting "marginalized", but no bitterness against Mark, whom he does not seem to blame. And today I found this on his FB account, showing that back in 1980 Mark was rather caring, and canceled a few concerts to allow him some time after the birth of his first child, earlier than expected. Mark was human after all ! :) Here is the text:

It was about 11 pm, the night before the band left for Belgium and Holland for two weeks.  It was the last tour before I had our first baby and I had six weeks to go.  We all decided that stopping touring a month before the baby was due would be fine.  However, Lucille, our first born, had other ideas.  She decided it was time to come into the world that night!  All I could think of on the way to the hospital was ‘what about the tour!’  Whilst I was in the labour room having her, Mark telephoned the hospital and talked to me when I was laying  there, telling me not to worry about the tour as he probably knew I would be mortified at them having to cancel.  The road crew had driven from England in the truck for ages to get to the first hotel in Belgium and as soon as they arrived, they received a message saying ‘Linda having baby.  Turn round and come home!’    The next day, I received so many flowers in the hospital from various agents, record company execs, promoters etc., I took them round the hospital and decorated all the wards with them as there were too many to fit in my room!

That’s a very good story! The thing with Mark is, we tend to overestimate people who’ve had fights with MK. I think relationships with Mark is something like staying in the army — if you’re good and doing good, if you smart, everything will be fine. But if you’re mad, then no surprises MK will unfrend you. Or it just happens with time on its own, like with all of us.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 10:36:13 PM »
Hi all,

That’s a very good story! The thing with Mark is, we tend to overestimate people who’ve had fights with MK. I think relationships with Mark is something like staying in the army — if you’re good and doing good, if you smart, everything will be fine. But if you’re mad, then no surprises MK will unfrend you. Or it just happens with time on its own, like with all of us.

I think it's also about musical vision. Mark always has had a very clear idea as to how the music should sound and what direction it should go in. If you can fit into that, contribute,cane be happy to be a part of someone else's dream you'll be his best friend for life. But it is marks dream, and the moment you want any real estate in that land, forget it.....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 10:47:55 PM »
I think it's also about musical vision. Mark always has had a very clear idea as to how the music should sound and what direction it should go in. If you can fit into that, contribute,cane be happy to be a part of someone else's dream you'll be his best friend for life. But it is marks dream, and the moment you want any real estate in that land, forget it.....

Yes, and John Illsley is a perfect example. Mark could've hired him in his solo band. But John is a rock bassist, and Mark needed a more versatile musician, so goodbye John! If he'd be mad, he'd cut ties with Mark, but he's smart, so he stayed in. Mark wanted a bassist who not only can play both acoustic and electric bass, but also can write music down and be an integral part of the band and overall a capable musician. I always loved Glenn's playing, no wonder Mark had just two world-class bassists because the guys are insane in their own rights.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 37 queries.