Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 76729 times)

Love Expresso

Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2021, 10:47:43 AM »
No. But the "Life in Songs" Docu and some more stuff after that (Hansen) plus Tracker Liner Notes from Mr. Ford showed that MK seems to be fine with the view of him being an extra ordinaire songwriter. So there might be reason enough to publish a book about him. Not automatically the simple chronological story of Dire Straits, but his inner writer's world, his influences, his process and development and so on. His testament if you like.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2021, 12:09:59 PM »
I was joking. I don't mind him telling that stories again, specially in a book that would include a lot of more information than that.

Having a wife who is a writer, who knows, maybe one day, he would consider it. His storytelling when playing Matchstick man was great.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2021, 12:16:29 PM »
I was joking. I don't mind him telling that stories again, specially in a book that would include a lot of more information than that.

Having a wife who is a writer, who knows, maybe one day, he would consider it. His storytelling when playing Matchstick man was great.

I loved his stories on The British Grove Broadcast, however, he had a seasoned journalist helping him with writing. I tend to think that Mark isn't joking when he says he can't write prose, it's a different skill set than writing poetry, and songs are another planet in that respect. Often the song's lyrics would work badly as a piece of poetry and vice versa.

Of course, I would love it, can he actually do it is another topic. He obviously can see that everybody and their mothers write books about Dire Straits now. Except for Mark lol. Maybe he thinks that Henrik Hansen's movie will be greater than all of this. I hope so!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2021, 12:50:57 PM »
I prefer that John is doing this in stead of Mark, firstly, you could argue John was more at the start of Dire Straits than Mark having shared a flat with David, and Mark "joining" them later, also clearly John is ore interested in the history of the band than Mark is so he would put more energy into a book than Mark would. Really it could only be Mark or John writing this book as they were the only 2 constant members of the group from beginning to end. I suspect Mark is happy that John is doing it and the fact he has written a foreword confirms that, so I am sure Mark has read the book and given it the thumbs up. I can't wait to read it.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »
I prefer that John is doing this in stead of Mark, firstly, you could argue John was more at the start of Dire Straits than Mark having shared a flat with David, and Mark "joining" them later, also clearly John is ore interested in the history of the band than Mark is so he would put more energy into a book than Mark would. Really it could only be Mark or John writing this book as they were the only 2 constant members of the group from beginning to end. I suspect Mark is happy that John is doing it and the fact he has written a foreword confirms that, so I am sure Mark has read the book and given it the thumbs up. I can't wait to read it.

Great point. In that respect John is probably a better storyteller, however, the gripe might be that you won't get much of Mark's story in there. And this guy had quite a life! And he knows that it's pretty extraordinary, from discovering his talents to meeting and playing with every musical hero he could ever dream of. He can write a whole book on just working and meeting with musicians.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
I take it the same
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2021, 09:58:08 PM »
320 pages.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2021, 10:02:33 PM »
320 pages.

I hope John will be awesome enough to record an audio version of this book. I'm pretty sure he will though.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2021, 11:27:11 PM »
320 pages.

I hope John will be awesome enough to record an audio version of this book. I'm pretty sure he will though.

Ooooh, an audio book would be utterly awesome!!!!!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2021, 11:55:30 PM »
320 pages.

Ooooh, an audio book would be utterly awesome!!!!!!!

I can bet money that he'll do it ;D

Simply because I know less-known authors who recorded audio versions of their books. I recently discovered the world of audiobooks and can't go back. Such a great, immersive and comfortable experience. John's book seems to cause some buzz when it's out, so no doubt, and especially given the extremely long waiting time, that he'll record it as well.

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2021, 07:13:57 AM »

I loved his stories on The British Grove Broadcast, however, he had a seasoned journalist helping him with writing. I tend to think that Mark isn't joking when he says he can't write prose, it's a different skill set than writing poetry, and songs are another planet in that respect. Often the song's lyrics would work badly as a piece of poetry and vice versa.[/quote]

So someone who studied journalism and got a degree in English can't write prose!
Sorry but this doesn't wash.If he couldn't write prose he wouldn't have graduated with a degree in English and he certainly wouldn't have lasted a year studying/working in journalism.
This boils down to the simple fact that Mark only does what he wants to.It must be great being able to live your life like this because most of us can only dream of having this option.
As with all things Mark I look forward to the next installment.He'll do his own thing and that's good enough for me.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2021, 09:45:50 AM »
So someone who studied journalism and got a degree in English can't write prose!
Sorry but this doesn't wash.If he couldn't write prose he wouldn't have graduated with a degree in English and he certainly wouldn't have lasted a year studying/working in journalism.
This boils down to the simple fact that Mark only does what he wants to.It must be great being able to live your life like this because most of us can only dream of having this option.
As with all things Mark I look forward to the next installment.He'll do his own thing and that's good enough for me.

To be precise, Mark said not that he can't write prose, but that it would be boring if he could. In the same manner, when someone writes boring, bland songs, not everyone is suitable for each format. And yes, Mark has a luxury of doing what he wants, including not doing any prose ;D

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2021, 12:31:39 PM »
There will be a book about Dire Straits - first source, maybe one day Mark will write about a solo career ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »
Final Cover?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:03:09 AM by skydiver »

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2021, 09:04:16 AM »
It seems there will also be a downloadable audiobook version:

Imprint: Transworld Digital

Published: 11/11/2021

ISBN: 9781473592988

RRP: £13.00

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.