Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 78184 times)

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #555 on: December 10, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »
I remember John saying they didn't have a single argument ever, that maybe once they didn't agree on something and probably he had said, ok, and that was the end of that disagrement.

Guy also stated they never had arguments in so many years. That doesn't mean they can't disagree on smth, I think it's a misconception about having no arguments. It's just they do it with respect, like a good couple, you know. It's stupid to argue, it doesn't take you anywhere, but it's ok to disagree. So the best way is to listen to your "opponent", come up with good solutions that suit all parties. Basically, making it feel it's not an argument when it really is :lol

In John's case, they were band mates, in Guy's case he's an employee.

That doesn't means Mk and him are not friends, that they are, but probably Guy's approach was always that, he's my boss, he pays me, so he's right, no need to argue, I'm being paid to do what he says.

I think what you've described is generally the way to work when you're working with somebody who's multiple times more successful, famous and powerful than you. Bandmates, friends or not! When Mark says "I'm the guy who wrote the song" and "they let me get away with anything" he means exactly that. And the singer is always right, let alone the writer, let alone the studio owner, let alone the guy who's made it all possible. I think to argue with MK you either need balls the size of the Moon or no brain at all.

When you are a bandmate, you are part of the band, so you feel yourself like a member, with a say, and then there is a chance of arguments. When you are en emplyee, that's what you are, so just do for what you are being paid for!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #556 on: December 10, 2021, 12:50:29 PM »
That is most about both personality and creativity.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #557 on: December 10, 2021, 01:54:05 PM »
Anecdotes from the OES tour would likely mostly involve MK being an ogre, so not a surprise that John glosses over them.

Well, we all know that Mark Knopfler is not an easy going person, but you can't call him an ogre . That's not fair!
Phil Palmer, called MK an ogre, back in 1992.

I always remember speaking at length with another musician who plays occasionally with MK and remember him saying MK is a Gentleman but you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him!

Which makes it remarkable why him and Guy have allegedly never had an argument.
I wonder how what their relationship is like and what the secret is?!? I wonder if it’s a bit like Penn and Teller who openly state that they’re not particularly close friends. They don’t hang out together outside of work etc and they reckon that’s how they’ve lasted so long and work so well together.

I'm a huge P&T fan, so I love any reference to them! Yes, their duo was built on respect, and not affection, and that enabled them to continue working together for 46 years and still counting. Penn says they are like best friends and relatives now after all these years, but it was built on respect rather than affection. John obviously had had huge respect toward MK from day one. Now, keep in mind respect doesn't mean you agree and say yes to everything, I think it's quite the opposite. You're in a constant positive loop of respectful arguing and coming up with great solutions. If you argue without being respectful, that can lead you into trouble.

I also think about the MythBusters, these guys not only weren't friends but nearly hated each other. But the work they produced together...

I love Penn and Teller too! My username might just give you a clue as to my other hobby…..

Offlinevancip

• Local Hero
« Reply #558 on: December 10, 2021, 04:28:47 PM »
From Italian Rolling Stone magazine

https://www.rollingstone.it/musica/interviste-musica/john-illsley-se-avessi-avuto-successo-a-20-anni-con-i-dire-straits-oggi-non-sarei-qui/602405/#Part6

Interesting last period JI says that friendship with MK has grown since they didn't play together anymore. They meet, drink a bottle of wine talking about various stuff

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #559 on: December 10, 2021, 04:40:29 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.it/musica/interviste-musica/john-illsley-se-avessi-avuto-successo-a-20-anni-con-i-dire-straits-oggi-non-sarei-qui/602405/#Part6

Interesting last period JI says that friendship with MK has grown since they didn't play together anymore. They meet, drink a bottle of wine talking about various stuff

MK and John are neighbors in the South coast of England, that's where John lives daily and where MK spent lot of time, so chances to see each other are a lot. Actually they both have dogs so when they walk them by the beach they see each other as well as their houses are very close.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #560 on: December 10, 2021, 08:35:09 PM »

MK and John are neighbors in the South coast of England, that's where John lives daily and where MK spent lot of time, so chances to see each other are a lot. Actually they both have dogs so when they walk them by the beach they see each other as well as their houses are very close.

And what a lovely place it is to be for them both!!! ;)
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #561 on: December 10, 2021, 08:36:37 PM »
Anecdotes from the OES tour would likely mostly involve MK being an ogre, so not a surprise that John glosses over them.

Well, we all know that Mark Knopfler is not an easy going person, but you can't call him an ogre . That's not fair!

I always remember speaking at length with another musician who plays occasionally with MK and remember him saying MK is a Gentleman but you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him!

I wonder how what their relationship is like and what the secret is?!? I wonder if it’s a bit like Penn and Teller who openly state that they’re not particularly close friends. They don’t hang out together outside of work etc and they reckon that’s how they’ve lasted so long and work so well together.

I'm a huge P&T fan, so I love any reference to them! Yes, their duo was built on respect, and not affection, and that enabled them to continue working together for 46 years and still counting. Penn says they are like best friends and relatives now after all these years, but it was built on respect rather than affection. John obviously had had huge respect toward MK from day one. Now, keep in mind respect doesn't mean you agree and say yes to everything, I think it's quite the opposite. You're in a constant positive loop of respectful arguing and coming up with great solutions. If you argue without being respectful, that can lead you into trouble.

I also think about the MythBusters, these guys not only weren't friends but nearly hated each other. But the work they produced together...

I love Penn and Teller too! My username might just give you a clue as to my other hobby…..

That's Magic! to quote the late fabulous Mr Daniels!!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #562 on: December 11, 2021, 07:33:03 AM »

That's Magic! to quote the late fabulous Mr Daniels!!!

I don’t want to hijack this thread so this is the last post on the subject but I got to meet him before he sadly passed. I never thought my two heroes would combine in a conversation but I’m glad I got to meet one of my heroes……the other one is a certain guitar player to whom this forum is devoted to….and we are back on topic.

(If you fancy having a go at an interactive trick, I’ve started a topic in the “unrelated to MK” part.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:42:04 AM by MagicElliott »

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #563 on: December 11, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »

I live very close to them, but sadly I am yet to bump into either of them, not sure what I would do if that happened though.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #564 on: December 11, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »

I live very close to them, but sadly I am yet to bump into either of them, not sure what I would do if that happened though.

If you go regularly to th east end arms, you might get lucky

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #565 on: December 11, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »
I am yet to visit that pub, maybe next summer I will

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #566 on: December 11, 2021, 10:39:29 AM »

A friend of mine lived literally next door to them with his parents and it's only now he realises who his neighbours were!!!!
If your like me when I met MK, I froze with excitement!!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #567 on: December 11, 2021, 10:40:34 AM »
I am yet to visit that pub, maybe next summer I will

Can't believe you haven't been to the East End Arms - I mean it's on your doorstep!!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #568 on: December 11, 2021, 10:42:54 AM »
I know, I have just had a look on Google Maps, it's only 17.6 miles from my house, I really should be going!!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #569 on: December 11, 2021, 11:28:27 AM »
I know, I have just had a look on Google Maps, it's only 17.6 miles from my house, I really should be going!!!

Oh, I thought you said you lived close!!! ;D :lol :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.