Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 78110 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #570 on: December 11, 2021, 11:30:27 AM »
That is close, to me. still New Forest. Mark is 10 miles away.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #571 on: December 11, 2021, 11:37:02 AM »
That is close, to me. still New Forest. Mark is 10 miles away.

Oh you've beaten me, I'm exactly 28 Miles away from Mark's home.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinemjhadlick

• Guitar George
  • DS fan since 1979...
« Reply #572 on: December 17, 2021, 12:17:11 AM »
Anecdotes from the OES tour would likely mostly involve MK being an ogre, so not a surprise that John glosses over them.

Phil Palmer's book has around 20 pages of that tour and, except being a perfectionist and the sausage incident, there is nothing bad regarding MK.

I didn't know Phil Palmer has a book! What is the name of it? And this is the second time I have heard of this "sausage incident" so I'm curious!
...it takes Love Over Gold
and mind over matter
to do what you do that you must...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #573 on: December 17, 2021, 07:14:52 PM »
Anecdotes from the OES tour would likely mostly involve MK being an ogre, so not a surprise that John glosses over them.

Phil Palmer's book has around 20 pages of that tour and, except being a perfectionist and the sausage incident, there is nothing bad regarding MK.

I didn't know Phil Palmer has a book! What is the name of it? And this is the second time I have heard of this "sausage incident" so I'm curious!

https://philpalmer.com/session-man/
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinerelaxcoustic

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #574 on: December 19, 2021, 06:07:18 PM »
First 60 pages in and the book is so fun. Also, holy hell John was a heavy weed smoker! :D I wonder what's Mark relationship with drugs

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #575 on: December 19, 2021, 08:08:52 PM »
I finished reading it a few days ago, I had more expectations about John, not about what he was saying but about how. The portrait of a superficial and selfish person is well defined.... copies of albums sold, the concert with several people or the meeting with VIPs or even the presence of a few groupies here and there. The fact that he only became friends with Mark after the band disbanded speaks volumes about the internal climate in the band all the time. of course there are examples in other famous bands, but it's very sad all the same. One thing must be acknowledged to him, however, that he managed to overcome all this unscathed, including leukemia, and make a new life, as he himself says human finally :thumbsup

hunter

« Reply #576 on: December 19, 2021, 08:59:15 PM »
I finished reading it a few days ago, I had more expectations about John, not about what he was saying but about how. The portrait of a superficial and selfish person is well defined.... copies of albums sold, the concert with several people or the meeting with VIPs or even the presence of a few groupies here and there. The fact that he only became friends with Mark after the band disbanded speaks volumes about the internal climate in the band all the time. of course there are examples in other famous bands, but it's very sad all the same. One thing must be acknowledged to him, however, that he managed to overcome all this unscathed, including leukemia, and make a new life, as he himself says human finally :thumbsup

He states that plainly?

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #577 on: December 20, 2021, 05:41:38 AM »

He states that plainly?
Yes and talk about him, his wife, Mark and Kitty are now often together for evenings with good bottle of wine... :thumbsup

hunter

« Reply #578 on: December 20, 2021, 09:36:26 AM »
Interesting. I always had the impression that they were kind of close friends all along.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #579 on: December 20, 2021, 11:28:49 AM »
Interesting. I always had the impression that they were kind of close friends all along.

I think it's pretty obvious they were friends from day 1. But I also think they were so busy during DS times that there simply was no time to be friends if you know what I mean. Album after album, tour after tour, so only when the group broke up did they feel the release and that's what the original poster meant I think.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #580 on: December 20, 2021, 11:50:17 AM »

I think it's pretty obvious they were friends from day 1. But I also think they were so busy during DS times that there simply was no time to be friends if you know what I mean. Album after album, tour after tour, so only when the group broke up did they feel the release and that's what the original poster meant I think.

I agree with that point, they were friends from day one, but after the band disbanded, they continued being friends, just friends, no bandmates, friends.

They live quite close in the South coast of England, and MK is there, closest pub is John's one, so they see each other quite a lot when MK is there, even walking the dogs by the beach, they live so close that they are gonna see each other for sure.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #581 on: December 20, 2021, 11:51:22 AM »
First 60 pages in and the book is so fun. Also, holy hell John was a heavy weed smoker! :D I wonder what's Mark relationship with drugs

I remember MK saying in interviews that he smoked weed quite a lot in a period of his life, I guess that was at the early days, or maybe during the stressful days of the band.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #582 on: December 20, 2021, 11:59:45 AM »

closest pub is John's one,

It's very true the East End Arms is close to them but there are also two other pubs in close proximity....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #583 on: December 20, 2021, 12:02:36 PM »

It's very true the East End Arms is close to them but there are also two other pubs in close proximity....

I don't think he's going to other than John's one...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #584 on: December 20, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »

I don't think he's going to other than John's one...

You never know, MK might like a sneaky pint elsewhere!!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 43 queries.