Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What music systems do you use to listen to music?  (Read 2958 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: What music systems do you use to listen to music?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 12:14:54 AM »
You don't need high-end gear to get a highly satisfying listening experience, but once you arrive at a decent hifi system that plays well, sounds good and is set up correctly, the music attains another dimension. A very important element is the placement of the speakers and where you sit in the room. That determines the tonal balance, the soundstage and imaging. When it's right, it's like the speakers disappear and you are staring into a big, deep space filled with music and it's as if you could put your hand out and touch the musicians. Almost eerie. I played Altamira the other day, and track 2 or 3 where it's only the lady on percussion who plays sound fantastic.

"Audiophilia" may not be for everybody, but a decent system (buy used for value for money) set up right is a pure joy and something all music lovers should look into. Listening to laptop speakers (sorry, Pavel) is just offensive LOL

I know, though Apple’s speakers on their recent laptops and iMacs are pretty nice, iMacs especially, it even has some reasonable bottom end to it, you can seriously get away with listening to music on it. Laptops and phones lacks bottom end, but got a decent spatial effect. So all in all, speakers on their devices got really good, I was impressed.

With that said, nothing can replace a subwoofer, and especially since I’m in love with bass as an instrument. And I just had a thought, but probably because I mostly use phone and laptop speakers, when I get to the “real” sound system, it blows me away completely every time. When I know I want some bass, I go to the subwoofer and it delivers the absolute heaven to my ears.

I wish I’d had an affection towards decent audio equipment, but I don’t. I’m so happy with what I’ve got, that I don’t want anything else even if I could afford it.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 06:55:15 PM »
Other than that, I play a lot of MK music with my phone on its small internal speaker in my bathtub while having a bath. Since the room is small the sound is sufficient to envoy it while surfing :)

I listen in the bath too on a small powered speaker plugged into my iPod generation 1.  Simple but effective for such a small room as you say.  Subsequently my baths run up to around the 45 minute mark and I emerge resembling a 90 year old.  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
Other than that, I play a lot of MK music with my phone on its small internal speaker in my bathtub while having a bath. Since the room is small the sound is sufficient to envoy it while surfing :)

I listen in the bath too on a small powered speaker plugged into my iPod generation 1.  Simple but effective for such a small room as you say.  Subsequently my baths run up to around the 45 minute mark and I emerge resembling a 90 year old.  :lol
45 is what is called a quicky in House Pottel. i tend to stay in a bath for hours, seriously (well 1,5 at least) but never play music then, rather read and/or play games on my phone.
as i saw someone mention google play here, i use Poweramp and Foobar2000 on my phone. Foobar2000 on my laptop.tried various others, amazon music, samsung music, google music, dbpoweramp, etc. but foobar is my go to app
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 06:00:03 PM »
Yamaha receiver
Yamaha sub
Polk speakers
Project turntable
NAS connected to Second gen Amazon Fire TV running Kodi
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 36 queries.