Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The other Dire Straits "lost musicians" Involvements  (Read 3422 times)

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
Re: The other Dire Straits "lost musicians" Involvements
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 03:43:47 PM »
to me the only DS members that really made a significant difference in the band-sound apart from Mark were Pick Withers ( that groovy, laidback, easy feel is such a big part of the first records and never again matched) and I have to say; Alan Clark. I feel his playing style is such a big part that made the Love over Gold record, and also in the live shows after that his playing is a signature part of the band-sound.
I do find it a bit strange that Pick never really appeared in another professional outfit after DS, I can image a lot of other artist would want him in his band after him leaving DS, being such a great drummer.

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »
A good point on the subject of Pick Withers. :thumbsup To me, he is a very sensitive drummer, of course with a little jazzy flavour in his drumming, and that makes him very special and notable, no question. Maybe Pick is getting a little bit "lost" or "underrated" in the worldwide musical circus. Yes, he is able to fulfill several musical work with his drum abilities. That is a fact. Pick and Terry, for example, are two totally different drummers. Terry was much powerful and he drove the "Dire Straits train" in a more rock-direction. Pick was more smooth and jazzy in the early DS tunes, but he also was able to drive some songs, like Telegraph road.

We are fools to make war

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 07:40:50 PM »
Maybe he had an offer but rejected it. Everyone from the original line-up is still with us, but they are so far apart.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 07:45:07 PM »
A good point on the subject of Pick Withers. :thumbsup To me, he is a very sensitive drummer, of course with a little jazzy flavour in his drumming, and that makes him very special and notable, no question. Maybe Pick is getting a little bit "lost" or "underrated" in the worldwide musical circus. Yes, he is able to fulfill several musical work with his drum abilities. That is a fact. Pick and Terry, for example, are two totally different drummers. Terry was much powerful and he drove the "Dire Straits train" in a more rock-direction. Pick was more smooth and jazzy in the early DS tunes, but he also was able to drive some songs, like Telegraph road.

It was not a coincidence that Bob Dylan invited both MK and David to record on his 1979 album. Both are so unique, that you immediately get grabbed by their sound. Can't imagine early DS with less sophisticated drumming, that would be a disaster. They got really lucky by getting this guy behind the drums! And his current band sounds phenomenal and shows that he's quite a professional. Their relationships with DS tho... I hope he's happy with his decisions. And I think he is.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 07:46:54 PM »
"It was not a coincidence that Bob Dylan invited both MK and David to record on his 1979 album"

Pick  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 08:03:58 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 08:36:42 PM »
Terry seems to be living a happy non musical retirement going by Facebook.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 08:40:23 PM »
Pick has been playing non stop since he left Dire Straits, but with low profile artists. He was very tired of the rock style of life, that's why he left DS and that's why he chose to play with artists like Dennis Locorriere, Dave Kelly etc etc
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2022, 09:34:54 PM »
to me the only DS members that really made a significant difference in the band-sound apart from Mark were Pick Withers ( that groovy, laidback, easy feel is such a big part of the first records and never again matched) and I have to say; Alan Clark. I feel his playing style is such a big part that made the Love over Gold record, and also in the live shows after that his playing is a signature part of the band-sound.
I do find it a bit strange that Pick never really appeared in another professional outfit after DS, I can image a lot of other artist would want him in his band after him leaving DS, being such a great drummer.

I agree on both points, as others have said Pick's drumming style fit the mood of early DS better than a more conventional rock and roll drummer would have done. As for Alan Clark, I thought he was an excellent foil for Mark on Love Over Gold, I like Roy Bittan's piano work on Making Movies but he was essentially playing a supporting role whereas Alan added a different dimension to their sound and his musical contribution is very apparent on all five songs on the album. Musical passages such as the outro on Love Over Gold's title track, with Alan's piano weaving in and out with Mark's guitar licks, offer something that hadn't been present on their earlier albums and make the album stand out in hindsight as this interplay was not such a big part of the band's sound on either Brothers In Arms or On Every Street.
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.