Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tour Itinerary from Get Lucky Worldtour 2010 European Leg  (Read 21480 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Tour Itinerary from Get Lucky Worldtour 2010 European Leg
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2021, 07:35:46 AM »
Indeed. And they are especially beautiful because the drumming from Danny was exceptional good on this one (butchered live by Inato from 2013 on). I really love the 2010 live versions of Piper. There are also these two  little violin notes from John right before the playing out which is absolutely wonderful. Good times...

LE

A while since I've listened to the 2010 versions, having preferred the 2013 ones, but noticed the 2010s are considerably faster than later versions and now I'm beginning to change my mind on this one.  :think

Personally any version of Piper bar any on the last tour sit fine for me. Fast or slow is fine but as long as they don't have any blooming trumpet in that's cool!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2021, 07:37:24 AM »
Indeed. And they are especially beautiful because the drumming from Danny was exceptional good on this one (butchered live by Inato from 2013 on). I really love the 2010 live versions of Piper. There are also these two  little violin notes from John right before the playing out which is absolutely wonderful. Good times...

LE

....and Matt Rollings very sensitive piano too.

Oooooh yes, Matt was amazing....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 09:28:59 AM »
They are good musicians, but I just don't think it worked, unlike when Chris White was doing the job, he complimented the songs a lot better.

Oh yes, I wholeheartedly  agree they are fabulous musicians, but just not needed with MK's music. Incidentally I've just listened to 'Piper' coming into work on the 'I think I should retire' best of 2019 tour files and I forgot how dreadful it was when the trumpets were drowning out MK's beautiful guitar..... :disbelief :disbelief

Back to the thread and the 'GL' world tour was just awesome in comparison.....

Yes, my heart sank when Mark just accompanied the brass section instead of taking a solo during Piper.  So sad.  :'(

But MK was just drowned out which was not good...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2021, 09:31:28 AM »
I was always under the impression that Mark favoured the "less is more" approach, but on this occasion he threw every instrument at his disposal into Piper and, consequently, ruined it, drowning out his own beautiful solo.    :disbelief

EDIT:   ...... drowning out what could have been a beautiful solo.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:36:52 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »
I was always under the impression that Mark favoured the "less is more" approach, but on this occasion he threw every instrument at his disposal into Piper and, consequently, ruined it, drowning out his own beautiful solo.    :disbelief

It was awful, I really couldn't believe how bad it was until I listened again a few days ago......

The song starts off fine intermingled nicely with a few phrases on guitar by MK but the end solo is horrible...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 12:01:52 PM »
They are good musicians, but I just don't think it worked, unlike when Chris White was doing the job, he complimented the songs a lot better.

Oh yes, I wholeheartedly  agree they are fabulous musicians, but just not needed with MK's music. Incidentally I've just listened to 'Piper' coming into work on the 'I think I should retire' best of 2019 tour files and I forgot how dreadful it was when the trumpets were drowning out MK's beautiful guitar..... :disbelief :disbelief

Yes, my heart sank when Mark just accompanied the brass section instead of taking a solo during Piper.  So sad.  :'(

Yes and no.  Some shows he took the solo and was drowned out but other shows he just let the brass take the lead and he simply continued playing licks instead.  He did the latter I recall in Newcastle.  Don't think this has been discussed before or if anyone else has noticed.  Compare with Valencia for one where he solos. 

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 01:01:45 PM »

Yes and no.  Some shows he took the solo and was drowned out but other shows he just let the brass take the lead and he simply continued playing licks instead.  He did the latter I recall in Newcastle.  Don't think this has been discussed before or if anyone else has noticed.  Compare with Valencia for one where he solos.

Interesting, admittedly the ones I've listened to MK starts his lovely solo and then is drowned out by the Salvation Army!!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »

LE
Exactly! For me, Lucca 2010 is the best version ever of Piper to the end.

And I also agree with what was said about the brass section. They're all good musicians but too much sax / trumpet etc. doesn't quite match with Mark's music. The very beginning of Why Aye man in 2019 is good though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:26:20 AM by NicoMK »

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2021, 09:23:44 AM »

LE

....and Matt Rollings very sensitive piano too.

Oooooh yes, Matt was amazing....

Yes. Matt was great. Gone as well…  :-[

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »

LE
Exactly! For me, Lucca 2010 is the best version ever of Piper to the end.

And I also agree with what was said about the brass section. They're all good musicians but too much sax / trumpet etc. doesn't quite match with Mark's music. The very beginning of Why Aye man in 2019 is good though.

I agree the Brassies are fabulous musicians but they don't seem to suit MK's music 'willy nilly'
Certain MK songs - they fit in fine but during the 2019 tour I found they were just too overpowering....
Yes, the start of WAM during the 2019 tour was very good and they fitted in ok......But PTTE and especially the ending on the tour was 'flooded' by them unnecessarily and they even drowned MK's guitar out at times!! 

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »
I agree, the version of Piper from Lucca is excellent, but there are lots of very good versions from 2010 - a couple of my favourites are Cordoba and Lyon.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
I agree, the version of Piper from Lucca is excellent, but there are lots of very good versions from 2010 - a couple of my favourites are Cordoba and Lyon.    :)

I think we can safely say that the majority of PTTE played during the 2010 tour were rather good.....but yes Lucca & Cordoba were very good....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 01:43:07 PM »

I think we can safely say that the majority of PTTE played during the 2010 tour were rather good.....but yes Lucca & Cordoba were very good....

I was listening to Mashantucket 2010 a couple of days ago which was excellent.  Helsinki 2013 has a fantastic performance by Mark though so is my personal favourite.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 37 queries.