Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits and...Drums  (Read 7351 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Dire Straits and...Drums
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2021, 10:22:00 AM »
Some people have really strong opinion here, but music is down to personnal taste, nothing is definite.

My favourite sultans are the one with Chad Cromwell, really clean sound, perfect note at perfectly timed, just what I like.

I also like Terry's kind of energetic playing, he does look busy around the drums and it's what most people like at a concert, including me, music can also be "seen".
From physical appearance to overall feeling about his music, I don't quite like Chris Whitten. He had that "I'm a Professional" look if that means anything.

I totally agree with everything you say. Also I'm glad there is finally someone who appreciates Chad Cromwell's fine drumming. He is my favourite next to Pick Withers whose style still is unique.

I agree with this, Pick then Chad for me. Ianto is also a fine drummer.

I am a Terry Williams fan, but more for the rocky live stuff and rocky recorded stuff with Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds/Rockpile.
What about Danny ? I thought it was widely recognized here that he was the finest drummer for Speedway...

Danny is the finest drummer for everything re. Mark's band.  ;)

I hope you are well my friend, seems we only hear from you when you need to say how great Danny is. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2021, 11:23:22 AM »
I have to say, the drumming for Dire Straits or MK solo is not something that has ever bothered me, I don't mind who plays the drums for Mark's songs, but maybe it's just me.

Agreed, its MK and his guitar I listen to and like you am not fussed who's bashing the skins!!

This doesn't resonate on a track such as Your Latest Trick. The original BIA recorrding is a masterpiece of restrained and complex jazz drumming and it's resurrection on the last tour was welcome and 'interesting' - not to sound too judgemental, but there are differences in feel that add / subtract to the way 'you' feel after listening. Again - I'd love to hear the TW recordings of BIA in a future boxset.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2021, 11:42:14 AM »
Do we know if they really exist? To my knowledge Terry did not too much at Montserrat apart from hanging around and then cutting that Money For Nothing intro.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2021, 11:52:20 AM »
Do we know if they really exist? To my knowledge Terry did not too much at Montserrat apart from hanging around and then cutting that Money For Nothing intro.

LE

According to the articles I read about that, Terry recorded all the songs, but were all of them replaced later by Omar, except Walk of life and the MFN intro.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 12:28:58 PM »
It's a shame for Terry but you can't really argue with the results. BiA went on to be an absolute smash and an all time classic.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »
The drums are very important. The drums keep the beat, it's what makes a song sound fast, slow...

The difference between let's say Pick and Terry it's so obvious that the last posts seems that forgot that.

I know what you're saying but you're a drummer yourself.  All the other instruments are just in the background when I'm listening to Mark for the majority of the time.  Some drummers play and suit his songs, some are better for rockier tunes, some for the more gentle folk orientated numbers, some always like to have the last word (no names Ianto) and some intrude on his playing like Chad with his symbols! 

So personally I like the ones who compliment Mark and respect the music more than themselves.  Pick and Terry do fine for me personally.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 01:03:21 PM »

LE

According to the articles I read about that, Terry recorded all the songs, but were all of them replaced later by Omar, except Walk of life and the MFN intro.

Was there not a story about some of Terry's recordings being wiped by accident with the new technology digital recording process?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 01:51:51 PM »

LE

Was there not a story about some of Terry's recordings being wiped by accident with the new technology digital recording process?

I heard that happened with the saxophone parts and also read that they lost the first week or so of recordings and had to record everythin again...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2021, 03:17:29 PM »

LE

I heard that happened with the saxophone parts and also read that they lost the first week or so of recordings and had to record everythin again...

Ah, that's right!  Thanks for rejigging the old grey cells. lol.

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »

What about Danny ? I thought it was widely recognized here that he was the finest drummer for Speedway...

Danny is the finest drummer for everything re. Mark's band.  ;)

I hope you are well my friend, seems we only hear from you when you need to say how great Danny is. :)

I hope that you too are well Dusty. Actually, I've been reading and posting on and off recently, and not only for Danny.

Musically he was great in every aspect and him having to leave the band was a lame decision, to say the least. I do justice to him sometimes and I still hope that he can regain his seat one day.

Back on-topic, best DS drummer for me would be Pick. Jeff Porcaro and Manu Katche - whom I saw live two years ago and that was good - did a sterling job on the OES record.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:52:28 PM by NicoMK »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2021, 12:05:18 PM »
The drums are very important. The drums keep the beat, it's what makes a song sound fast, slow...

The difference between let's say Pick and Terry it's so obvious that the last posts seems that forgot that.

I never knew that, thanks for the pointer!!! ::)
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2021, 04:33:23 PM »

I never knew that, thanks for the pointer!!! ::)

You're welcome. Always happy to help.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 40 queries.