Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What are your thoughts on MK & his band touring in the future ? (is it the end)  (Read 16116 times)

Love Expresso

Exactly. A few gigs in London would not be called a "tour". If he had a professional management, a good blu-ray would be part of the production.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
The way Mark chooses to tour, it would be impossible financially to play only a few, small venues. I don't think Mark is keen on six-hour bus drives any more.

He has his magic carpet!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I would love to see MK on tour again, but I really can't see it happening and in my heart I hope it doesn't happen.   The 2019 tour was excellent, but he had a lot of support in the band.  I enjoyed the concerts I attended immensely, but I felt 2019 would be the last tour.   

From 2015 to 2019 there was a great physical change in Mark and the earliest there could be another tour would  probably be 2023, by which time he would be almost 74, so I hope he retires gracefully, ending on a high.  A new album every two or three years would be something to look forward to, though.

I have to agree Val and also with Knopflerfan and LE, albeit to a slightly lesser extent.  I think he changed his speech last tour as he gained fitness and sharpness after being on the road, but really he had lost touch a bit with realism.  The set was safe and he had plenty backing to give him a safety blanket.  I sadly don't think he's capable now of delivering 2 hours of music.  Listening to the Goodwood performance he is struggling to play a song he has performed countless times, one he could have done in his sleep not so long ago. 

Maybe it's better to concentrate on studio work now and we can have some great albums toward the latter end of his career.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
Exactly. A few gigs in London would not be called a "tour". If he had a professional management, a good blu-ray would be part of the production.

LE

I don't think he's gonna do tours like the last one, despite the people who worked with him told after the last NY gig that tour won't be the last. I think that after he release a new record, there are three things we can expect:

- No concerts at all.
- Just some gigs at the RAH or a small UK tour
- A short European and North American tour, like the ones that David Gilmour does, playing selected cities, or like the one he did during the Emmylou Harrs tour.

If they tour again like usually, that would be totally unexpected to me.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
If he does tour again, I hope he leaves the brass section at home, I am not convinced it adds anything much to his songs, unless they are used like Chris White during the dire straits era.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
If he does tour again, I hope he leaves the brass section at home, I am not convinced it adds anything much to his songs, unless they are used like Chris White during the dire straits era.

I'd like something more back to basics, like the 96 tour, just with the folkie as additions in some songs, but not all the set...

And also a different band, with Marcus Cliffe or David Bronze on bass, Geraint Watkins on keyboards and Robbie McIntosh on guitar, for a change!

hunter

The way Mark chooses to tour, it would be impossible financially to play only a few, small venues. I don't think Mark is keen on six-hour bus drives any more.

He has his magic carpet!

Which is very expensive and requires a lot of sold tickets.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

Couldn't agree more! I hated the brass section on the last tour - of course they were there to help MK out! Bizzarly I love the brass section that are with Joe Bonamassa - ok slightly different type of music... personally I'd rather, like LE has stated to have a good quality Blu Ray concert from say 2013 or 2015 when MK was at his peak in my opinion...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
I would love to see MK on tour again, but I really can't see it happening and in my heart I hope it doesn't happen.   The 2019 tour was excellent, but he had a lot of support in the band.  I enjoyed the concerts I attended immensely, but I felt 2019 would be the last tour.   

From 2015 to 2019 there was a great physical change in Mark and the earliest there could be another tour would  probably be 2023, by which time he would be almost 74, so I hope he retires gracefully, ending on a high.  A new album every two or three years would be something to look forward to, though.

I have to agree Val and also with Knopflerfan and LE, albeit to a slightly lesser extent.  I think he changed his speech last tour as he gained fitness and sharpness after being on the road, but really he had lost touch a bit with realism.  The set was safe and he had plenty backing to give him a safety blanket.  I sadly don't think he's capable now of delivering 2 hours of music.  Listening to the Goodwood performance he is struggling to play a song he has performed countless times, one he could have done in his sleep not so long ago. 

Maybe it's better to concentrate on studio work now and we can have some great albums toward the latter end of his career.

I agree dmg, I'd rather MK put his soul into a good quality album or five than attempt to tour and become like Bob Dylan where people walk out on his concerts.....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
.. personally I'd rather, like LE has stated to have a good quality Blu Ray concert from say 2013 or 2015 when MK was at his peak in my opinion...

2008 to 2013, especially 2010, which is my favourite tour.   I think he was on the descendant by 2015.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
.. personally I'd rather, like LE has stated to have a good quality Blu Ray concert from say 2013 or 2015 when MK was at his peak in my opinion...

2008 to 2013, especially 2010, which is my favourite tour.   I think he was on the descendant by 2015.

Ooooh 2010? although he did play well considering his bad back, but most certainly 2013 was a storming tour. Enjoyed 2015 too....

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
It is fairly obvious that the major tours are over.
The only "world" tour now will be a streaming show from London and I'd be up for that.
I hope Local Hero is dropped and he focuses solely on new albums and a small number of UK shows.
Time is running out for new MK music so I hope it isn't wasted on already done musicals.Sorry for those who didn't get to see it in Edinburgh but "we" cannot afford for MK to "waste" any further time on it.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
I think he will tour again, but it will be a Gilmour-esque tour which is absolutely fine by me. 15 shows around Europe and 15 more in the US/Canada. Can't see him doing a 80+ shows tour again in his 70's.

hunter

I think he will tour again, but it will be a Gilmour-esque tour which is absolutely fine by me. 15 shows around Europe and 15 more in the US/Canada. Can't see him doing a 80+ shows tour again in his 70's.

He could, but not at the pace he's done it at previously. With more rest in between shows, like on the Dylan tour, it could work, but of course this drives up the costs. Plus it would make it a very long tour. Not sure he or the band are too keen on that.

Online3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Unfortunately, I think that any future tours will be smaller in scale.  Mark dropped Telegraph Road & Sultans from the set on the last tour - they are the most demanding in terms of "twiddly bits", and replaced them with songs he can still perform properly. By the time the tour reached Newcastle, he wan't specifically suggesting that this might be the last tour, but watching him at the end of the show taking the applause, he looked a bit sad and reflective and not his usual self.
I did wonder what might be going through his mind at his "home" concert so I think it's quite possible he won't be going on the road again in any major way.

https://dtvaviationimages.co.uk/mark-knopfler-tour-photos/down-the-road-wherever-tour-2019/mk_0202lq/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 10:06:13 AM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 44 queries.