Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On The Night  (Read 11129 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: On The Night
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 11:15:13 AM »
Alchemy was so bloody marvellous it’s spoiled us for any other live album.

This is it. It's also strange that they made such a big deal out of Alchemy being completely live and then did the exact opposite ten years later.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 07:33:34 PM »
I prefer the Woburn Abbey Radio 1 broadcast. His voice sounds weird on OTN. Although it’s forgiven for having You and your friend.

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 08:52:20 PM »
So would it be fair to say that Guy messed it up? If I remember correctly, he was the man in charge? I do exactly remember how big my expectations were and how shocked I was at the first listen because of Exactly that: the strange sound of MK's voice.

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 11:58:22 PM »
They could have included it as an extra on the Encores disc from a different show.

They recorded at least one of the april run gigs at Paris Bercy and PONO was performed some nights.

So who knows ?

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2021, 02:10:10 AM »
May 20 and 21 in Nimes they also played When It Comes To You. I forgot about it and I love this song.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2021, 02:28:25 AM »
So would it be fair to say that Guy messed it up? If I remember correctly, he was the man in charge? I do exactly remember how big my expectations were and how shocked I was at the first listen because of Exactly that: the strange sound of MK's voice.

LE
I didn’t like the sound of the Emmylou and MK Live DVD either. It was over polished to me. MK to me is best live. His studio albums are dull compared to his live stuff. I rarely if ever listen to his studio albums.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 12:58:23 PM »
I prefer the Woburn Abbey Radio 1 broadcast. His voice sounds weird on OTN. Although it’s forgiven for having You and your friend.

Still got that on tape- recorded from the Radio broadcast....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 01:02:49 PM »

LE
I didn’t like the sound of the Emmylou and MK Live DVD either. It was over polished to me. MK to me is best live. His studio albums are dull compared to his live stuff. I rarely if ever listen to his studio albums.

I used to have that opinion, but of late I'm re-exploring the studio albums on Vinyl and to be honest I've got to the stage in life that if its MK - it'll ruddy do!! MK live is very special as a lot on here like me will know but then again so are his albums...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »
Thinking a bit more on this subject, and can remember hearing the Woburn abbey show on Radio 1 and thinking 'wow' thats really good.
Upon buying the double cassette on release and listening to that at the time was amazing. But as of this current time I hardly play it. If I'm after a DS/MK Live fix I either go to Alchemy or the few MK solo Blurays instead...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 01:26:04 PM »
Thinking a bit more on this subject, and can remember hearing the Woburn abbey show on Radio 1 and thinking 'wow' thats really good.
Upon buying the double cassette on release and listening to that at the time was amazing. But as of this current time I hardly play it. If I'm after a DS/MK Live fix I either go to Alchemy or the few MK solo Blurays instead...

which MK solo blurays?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 03:20:40 PM »

which MK solo blurays?

MK solo DVDs I meant!

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2021, 05:17:38 PM »
It is funny that people mention MK's voice regarding On the Night. Do you think that MK re-voiced the whole of OTN before it was released? His voice sounds way over produced and doesn't really have a live dynamic to the sound of it.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2021, 06:30:46 PM »
It is funny that people mention MK's voice regarding On the Night. Do you think that MK re-voiced the whole of OTN before it was released? His voice sounds way over produced and doesn't really have a live dynamic to the sound of it.

I don't think that any hardcore overdubbing was used in this particular recording. I think they deliberately stitched it from various shows so as not to re-record some parts later... Also, I think it was recorded pretty simply, and we will never hear any other versions over than what we have. Certainly, no 5.1 version or remaster of any kind. Only, maybe, a "full" version one day with better visuals. If only it was recorded on film anyway!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2021, 04:00:36 PM »

LE

I love listen to studio versions because of some arrangements you don't get on live versions, especially serveral guitar parts by Mark at the same time that obviously can't be played in concert

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 09:19:37 PM »

LE

I used to have that opinion, but of late I'm re-exploring the studio albums on Vinyl and to be honest I've got to the stage in life that if its MK - it'll ruddy do!! MK live is very special as a lot on here like me will know but then again so are his albums...

I'm with you. Mark live is very special and I listen to these recordings most of the time, but when I pick one studio album I usually stick to it a long time. Mark is amazing live or in the studio!
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 40 queries.