Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Love Over Gold (the song)  (Read 1427 times)

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Love Over Gold (the song)
« on: July 28, 2021, 01:02:39 AM »
Hey everyone,

I created this topic because I would like to know the forum's opinion on Love Over Gold and I didn't find any other suitable, already existent topic.
One of my favourite songs from the Dire Straits period and one of Mark's most elaborate compositions on the guitar. I believe this song represents the closing of a painful chapter in Mark's life, the one related with Holly Vincent, of course. I also feel it is frequently undervalued as the fans normally don't mention it that much, and the reviews (from 1982 and also subsequently) seem to ignore it, devoting only a sentence for it.
I listen to this song from time to time and I recently came upon the concert in Tokyo, in 1983, where Mark played a fantastic solo on the classical guitar, with some lovely twiddly bits.
It's a mystery to me how they cut the song short live, just when it reaches the climax with the final outro (any theories on this, by the way?).

Love Expresso

Re: Love Over Gold (the song)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 12:17:24 PM »
I always thought it had to do with Romeo & Juliet being very similar live.. Also Portobello Belle was very long and same category of song. Same decision came up when What It Is became part of the set list in 2001 that the middle silent live part of Sultans was cut because it would have been the same more or less.

Also the live album was orientated after the double vinyl playing time. The VHS and later the CD got Love over Gold as a bonus track only.

LE
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:36:14 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
Love Over Gold? I adore.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:47:39 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 09:59:31 PM »
LOG - Alchemy version is just awesome...
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 10:10:30 PM »
I love Love Over Gold the song, the interplay between the acoustic guitar and piano throughout the song is sublime, particularly towards the end of the track. I tend to think of this song as the standout example of Alan Clark's keyboards brought to Dire Straits, as his contribution is just as important as Mark's. I've never really thought that much about the meaning behind the lyrics, although it does feel like the more reflective counterpart to the angrier, more direct It Never Rains from the same album.

I agree it's a shame the outro was dropped on Alchemy, although the beautiful passage seamlessly linking the end of Romeo & Juliet with the start of Love Over Gold does compensate for this somewhat. I was aware that it wasn't included on the vinyl edition of Alchemy, which I always assumed was due to the limited running time for each side on vinyl, but it was only quite recently that I discovered that Romeo & Juliet swapped sides with Expresso Love for the CD version - was there any specific reason for this?
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 39 queries.