Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On The Night  (Read 11135 times)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
Re: On The Night
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »
You have to consider format too. When Alchemy was released there was only really cassette and vinyl in play and a double live album was a fairly normal thing. I was too young back then but was Achemely even sold separately as part one and part two in some cases ?

The cd changed all that and a length of 80 mins so a different strategy had to be taken. You also have to consider the place the Encores plays in the release of On The Night.  The album was marketed in all formats with an extra slipcase or space for this EP, so whilst they were sold separately you effectively have an almost complete gig.  My second hand LP edition came with Encores already inside it! And my original cassette edition had a larger slipcase to be able to hold Encores.

Love Expresso

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2021, 09:15:25 PM »
MK had no interest in this whole release at all. It was made with absolute no enthusiasm, let alone artistic interests.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2021, 10:04:52 PM »
MK had no interest in this whole release at all. It was made with absolute no enthusiasm, let alone artistic interests.

LE

Maybe that would explain why the cover for this album is the freakin Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
You have to consider format too. When Alchemy was released there was only really cassette and vinyl in play and a double live album was a fairly normal thing. I was too young back then but was Achemely even sold separately as part one and part two in some cases ?

The cd changed all that and a length of 80 mins so a different strategy had to be taken. You also have to consider the place the Encores plays in the release of On The Night.  The album was marketed in all formats with an extra slipcase or space for this EP, so whilst they were sold separately you effectively have an almost complete gig.  My second hand LP edition came with Encores already inside it! And my original cassette edition had a larger slipcase to be able to hold Encores.

I have my original Alchemy CD copy bought late 1980s and it is in the format of 2 CDs in separate jewel cases bundled together in a cardboard case, so I guess they were always sold as a pair.  That was in the days before we had the fold-out cases that could hold 2 discs. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »

Is marketed this way nowadays too? The original case for my OTN broke years ago and I wonder if the OTN copy you can purchase nowadays has that extra slipcase or is just a single case.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2021, 02:49:21 PM »
It’s just a single case.

But you can get an original cd cheap, unlike the vinyl edition which goes for silly money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2021, 10:44:10 AM »
I still have both the cassette and CD 'OTN' versions which allowed space for the encores cassette/disc single to go...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »
Alchemy Live.
Originally released as a Double-LP-Album with Fold-Out-Cover. In some other exotic countries, like Zimbabwe it was also released in a wide-spine-single-cover and in Argentina in to seperate Single-LP-Albums.
In around 1988 i also bought the 2-CD-Set with the two single-Album-Cases in the Cardboard-Box. Newer editions have the slim-Line 2-CD-Cover. I also have seen a 2-MusiCassette-Set in a special inlet in a cardboard-box.
There were also different Video-releases, VHS, BETAMAX, LD-Disc (the silver Video-Discs) and on CD-V (the golden Video-Discs).
Yes a lot of different variants of Alchemy exist.
PS: I´m still looking for pristine Vinyls as US-Version, Japan-Version, Canada-Version, Turkey-Version, Brazil-Version, and some other countries. 8)
We are fools to make war

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 41 queries.