Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bob Dylan - Too Late (infidels sessions)  (Read 6278 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Re: Bob Dylan - Too Late (infidels sessions)
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 02:03:02 PM »
Very good  :thumbsup

OfflineJoe

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »
here we all know about Mark's disappointment with Bob in those days....

Yeah? I didn't get that impression...i mean, judging by the Guy's tour diaries Bob is a peculiar guy, but again I guess that Mark would not join him for a tour if they didn't get around quite well

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 03:27:22 PM »

Yeah? I didn't get that impression...i mean, judging by the Guy's tour diaries Bob is a peculiar guy, but again I guess that Mark would not join him for a tour if they didn't get around quite well
he meant back in 84. and even if, he would never express that feeling to his big hero.
pretty sure they are on good terms these days.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 08:48:23 PM »
How on Earth something like this could be an outtake? :o

Apparently is an early version of "Foot of pride"

I find it very different from "Foot pride"
Some of the lyrics are the same.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 11:12:51 PM »

he meant back in 84. and even if, he would never express that feeling to his big hero.
pretty sure they are on good terms these days.
here is an very interesting uncut article where you'll find Neil Dorfsman words about Infidels experience
https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/inside-bob-dylans-80s-agent-provocateur-saboteur-97115/
here, a Bono interview to Bob, you'll find a specific question about Mark and Bob .......
https://www.interferenza.net/bcs/interw/84-jul8.htm
Music fans all over the world, myself included, knows the importance that Bob Dylan has had and always will have, very few of his importance, perhaps only Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, John Lennon and a few others.
Every time I go back to listening Infidels, knowing outakes as blind willie mctell, and as too late, I always think of a missed opportunity to have one of the greatest records ever by Bob Dylan.
At the time I remember words from Mark, always a devoted admirer, but with great disappointment, sorry that Bob hadn't waited for him to finish the record. Now as then, I think Mark was right, despite the fact that we are talking about a Bob album, and so it is he who must have the last word. Mark on that occasion felt overshadowed, and in my opinion the two had not had good relations for many years. Bob over the years has had collaborations with all the greatest in the world, but between 1986 australia and the 2011 tour I don't remember any connections between him and Mark.  And if I have to say it all years later, for the 2011/2012 tours I did not like the treatment given to Mark, he and his band were just a side band, with only the smaller photo on the bill. Guy wrote in his diary that he got a glimpse of Bob once and didn't even introduce himself as a member of Mark's band, because Bob is Bob. one of the greatest in history but he is not God...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:26:45 PM by straitsway75 »

Love Expresso

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 08:41:48 AM »
The answer sounds like that Bob was bored with Mark's overproduction style and sound detail fetish. Reading further on what Bob says about album recordings back in the day and nowadays I think he is absolutely right. Today it takes four days to find a drum sound, he says. And it's true that since British Grove exists, Mark's albums did not automatically better, to say the least.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 09:09:54 AM »
The answer sounds like that Bob was bored with Mark's overproduction style and sound detail fetish. Reading further on what Bob says about album recordings back in the day and nowadays I think he is absolutely right. Today it takes four days to find a drum sound, he says. And it's true that since British Grove exists, Mark's albums did not automatically better, to say the least.

LE

Yes, album production became slower and too technical if anything. I miss 'Shangri-La' vibes!

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 11:31:06 AM »
Since the beginning Mark has been synonymous with quality in his records, not by chance in the 80s people who wanted to listen to beautiful and well recorded songs came out of the shops not only with the first album but also with Making Movies or Love over Gold.
It is well known that those albums were the result of overdubs and similar things.
So I wonder what's the point of relying on people who record in a way that you consider inappropriate?
The general sound of an album is often confused with the production of beautiful songs, one does not exclude the other, but if there are no good songs at the base, you can record them in the first bar without touching them, but it will remain a bad song.
Dream of a drowner submariner, what it is, sailing to philadelphia, rudiger and so on (wasn't there), but they sure have overdubs, but they're great.
The wall and dark side, aren't they milestones? chock full of overdubs, for the beatles phil spector didn't put his own on its record?
This is to say if you rely on someone, you have to do it to the end also for a matter of consistency, it is as if you called the plumber and told him 'the sink is leaking but iou sits down' as well as I'll fix it' when I finish do other damage 'ok here is the money for the time lost bye' and the sink is leaking anyway.
Returning to Bob Dylan and Infidels I think  that he did not respect Mark as an artist and producer and that if he did we would have a great album.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:34:10 AM by straitsway75 »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 05:30:06 PM »
Just because they didn’t work together doesn’t mean they weren’t friends.

There is a Q magazine interview from about 1988 where Mark is interrupted by a call from Bob wanting to meet up.

We really have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

Until this week we didn’t know Mark had Thanksgiving dinner with Madonna and Cyndi Lauper.

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 06:11:09 PM »
Just because they didn’t work together doesn’t mean they weren’t friends.
I write  IMO 'probably', The sense of what I wrote that at the time Bob did not respect Mark as an artist and producer, are Dorfsman's words attentive or not? only this
'We really have no clue what goes on behind closed doors' sure that is true ...

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »

Until this week we didn’t know Mark had Thanksgiving dinner with Madonna and Cyndi Lauper.

Have I missed something? :hmm
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 12:29:10 PM »
I do not understand too  :think
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 12:41:05 PM »
Thank you. I didn't know about it.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 39 queries.