Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Eric Clapton Will Not Play Shows Where Proof of Vaccine Is Required  (Read 10430 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: Eric Clapton Will Not Play Shows Where Proof of Vaccine Is Required
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »
More radical is Van Morrison:)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:39:08 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 05:57:08 PM »
Glad we can agree on Clapton Julio (finally!)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »
And Clapton is a stupid, a very big one. He had bad reaction because of his health issues, but not because vaccines are bad.

Exactly.

Also some countries have "banned" the AstraZeneca vaccines because of some deaths related to it. But how are the statistics again? A few deaths out of thousands that have been vaccinated? I don't get it. I got the AZ, two shots, and all is well. Here's to a bit of sanity in this crazy world.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2021, 07:29:30 PM »
I'll take the medical advice of WHO, the EU, the world's governments, etc. over anything that EC might think about the issue.

The same issue happened when Mark canceled his shows in Russia... It was like, okay, Mr. Musician, you may think what you want about any political situation in our country, but fans love you and a lot of people bought tickets, etc., and still, he made the decision instead of playing, well, music. That was incredibly stupid for a musician punishing only his fans and nobody else because I can assure you, absolutely nobody in the authorities cared about this, not a single soul, it made absolutely no impact. But a lot of fans were pissed instead, and Mark doesn't care.

Not trolling here, genuine question, what's your view on the cultural boycott of South Africa in the 1980s, eg people like Dire Straits and others (not Queen) refusing to play Sun City?

That's a tough question since I'm not that informed on this very topic and it was so long ago, but I guess apartheid is a much stronger excuse than this ridiculous thing in 2013 that sent a good 3000-4000 Russian people home without MK concert. Also, I suppose they refused to play Sun City but they would not sell the tickets and then refuse, right?

I'm sorry if I'm offending anybody by bringing this topic back, but it seems relevant and I'm not doing it a lot anyway. Personally, I hate when musicians suddenly become these raged warriors for what they want, Paul McCartney for vegans, or Eric Clapton for vaccines, it doesn't matter, when their work is to play music and bring happiness to people.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2021, 07:35:36 PM »

Van Morrison is well known for being a dick.

I remember a story by Ed Bicknell... Van called Ed because he needed a guitar player, and Ed offered him Brendan crocker and Paul Brady and Van answered very rudely "who the fuck are those, with who the fuck had them played" and cut the call abruptly yelling "fuck off" . Then some weeks after Van called again Ed because he needed a manager and asked Ed to be his manager, Ed, very politely said "fuck off" and cut the call...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:24:00 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »

Van Morrison is well known for being a dick.

I remember a story by Ed Bicknell... Van called Ed because he needed a guitar player, and Ed offered him Brendan crocker and Paul Brady and Van answered very rudely "who the fuck are those, with who the fuck had them played" and cut the call abruptly yelling "fuck off" . Then some weeks after Van called again Ed because he needed a manager and asked Ed to be his manager, Ed, very politely said "fuck off" and cut the call...

Cool story. I think a guy who performs with a gold microphone and a gold stand can't not be a dick. I love Van's music, but I'm not interested in his persona in the slighest. He's got his "Sir" status for his services for the music, not for his behavior:lol

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 09:40:19 PM »
I agree with you, I don't mind if the person is an ass, it's his music what I like. I always thought Clapton was an ass all his life, his biography confirms he was an ass during most part of his life, but it's his music what I like from him. Not him. His music.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2021, 09:03:33 PM »
Seen Van abandon his band mid set on 2 separate occasions. He's obviously a perfectionist and very highly strung....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2021, 11:56:25 AM »
Seen Van abandon his band mid set on 2 separate occasions. He's obviously a perfectionist and very highly strung....

I've heard the same with regards MK
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2021, 03:38:59 PM »

Did MK abandoned his band mid set?

When?

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2021, 04:45:06 PM »

When?

Never seen Mark behave like that. Always the consummate professional in front of a crowd. Might be a different story in private.

The one I really remember with Van was at the BIC Bournemouth, can't remember what year. Arms waving, gesturing at his band, he was not happy, they lost an ending completely and he walked off. Came back, completed the gig and refused to do an encore. Shortest set I've ever payed top dollar for. £50 a ticket, 3 hour drive to get there, and I don't think he played for more than an hour and 15 minutes!

Suffice to say we felt rather short changed that night. Walk on the beach afterwards was  nice though.....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2021, 05:19:18 PM »

When?

I think what was meant was he is very highly strung.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2021, 05:52:42 PM »

When?

Never seen Mark behave like that. Always the consummate professional in front of a crowd. Might be a different story in private.

The one I really remember with Van was at the BIC Bournemouth, can't remember what year. Arms waving, gesturing at his band, he was not happy, they lost an ending completely and he walked off. Came back, completed the gig and refused to do an encore. Shortest set I've ever payed top dollar for. £50 a ticket, 3 hour drive to get there, and I don't think he played for more than an hour and 15 minutes!

Suffice to say we felt rather short changed that night. Walk on the beach afterwards was  nice though.....

I hate musicians like that to be honest... Or creative people in general. Actors, musicians, sportsmen, whatever. Nobody cares whether you're in a bad mood, people went to see you perform, it's your job, you're getting paid for it, more than people in offices or behind a desk in a store. So every childish act on stage I treat like an insult towards the audience. The opposite of being professional!

I was once on Van's show and it was just like you've said, 1 hour and 15 minutes, not a single word from the stage, just song after song, brilliantly executed though. He has an amazing band!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »

When?

Wrong end of the stick - yet again!!! Perfectionist and highly strung is what I've heard with regards our beloved MK. To quote someone I've met who has recorded with MK - You wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of MK - meaning he is a perfectionist....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2021, 08:32:12 PM »
Seems that "creative" people tend to feature some emotional problem. Of course not an absolutely true rule.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 38 queries.